My first foray into HVLP painting. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My first foray into HVLP painting.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
kirbot
1981 CJ7 

My first foray into HVLP painting.

One hard top later, and I'm hooked...

Rustoleum semi-gloss black, thinned with acetone shot through a harbor freight gun.

I didn't do the back hatch yet, since I soaked the inside of the frame with some rust converter crap... Once that dries I'll be able to paint it, and get a new seal on it.

Some crap fell out of the trees on it in the second picture, but the paint was dry enough that it just brushed off.

dsc_0055.jpg

dsc_0056.jpg

Unread 05-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Damn, that turned out nice! Strong work.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Im about to spray....THE WHOLE JEEP! with my HF gun and Gillespie coatings semi gloss OD... still in the tedious prep phase right now..
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

I am thinking of doing that to my white top. That did turn out nice. Thanks for posting that!
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
kirbot
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ65 View Post
I am thinking of doing that to my white top. That did turn out nice. Thanks for posting that!
I wasn't sure if I was going to like the semi-gloss or if I should have used flat.
But... after seeing it done, I'm happy!

I might spray the inside flat black, but for now I'm leaving it white
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

I have a very rough exterior with fibers showing. I am going to sand it down and prep real nice first. Any tips on sanding prep, or any pitfalls to avoid? I have never worked on this type of material before. I think the only difference is going to be respirator and goggles due to nasty fiberglass dust.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
kirbot
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a very rough exterior with fibers showing. I am going to sand it down and prep real nice first. Any tips on sanding prep, or any pitfalls to avoid? I have never worked on this type of material before. I think the only difference is going to be respirator and goggles due to nasty fiberglass dust.

I actually just powered washed it and painted. It didn't really need any sanding, and I didn't want to lose the texture it has.

If I had to sand it down smooth and do any repairs, I'd consider spraying it with bedliner, and maybe spraying a satin clear coat over that.
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
The first thing you want to do to be sure of a clean surface is to use a detergent soap like Dawn or something and wash it real good. Then buy some wax/grease/silicon remover and use clean paper towels to wipe it down. Now do your sanding and repair. When that is done, wipe it down with the wax/grease/silicon remover again. The surface is now ready for paint.

The reason for the cleaning before sanding is to keep from grinding in any contaminants that may be on the surface.

That top does look good and semi gloss is alway a good choice. I prefer white on the inside because it keeps things bright. If it's dark on the inside you may not like it, but it's yours.

Good luck.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.