My Electric Fan Swap - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My Electric Fan Swap

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #76
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Do you guys have a part number for the fan?

carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #77
SteelOutlawed
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnell
Do you guys have a part number for the fan?
I just went to the junk yard and told them I wanted a dual electric fan for a 95-00 ford contour or mercury mystique with a V6.
SteelOutlawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #78
steff

I run too with a 195 thermostat
In 10 seconds the Job done

Last edited by steff; 03-21-2013 at 02:59 AM..
steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #79
steff

See the thermostat plug.
The two fans run together, see above
steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #80
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelOutlawed View Post
I just went to the junk yard and told them I wanted a dual electric fan for a 95-00 ford contour or mercury mystique with a V6.
Thanks for the info!

I'm going to start looking for the fan. Have you already done the upgrade?
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #81
SteelOutlawed
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnell View Post
Thanks for the info!

I'm going to start looking for the fan. Have you already done the upgrade?
Yes I finished it this past weekend. Drove it to work this morning and it cooled like a champ. My Jeep has the Chevrolet 350 in it and since I got the Jeep it would always run warm while you were idling or stop and go traffice. With this new fan it runs consistant whether stop and go or on the road. This is the best upgrade I've done so far.
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #82
carnell
1986 CJ7 

What route did you go for the temp sensor and fan controller?
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #83
SteelOutlawed
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnell View Post
What route did you go for the temp sensor and fan controller?
I used the flex a lite 31165 which has the probe that you slide in between the fins of the radiator. Worked great and was easy to install.
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #84
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Cool. Thanks for the info!
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #85
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

SUbscribed! Thank you all for the inputs
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #86
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
This IS one of the best threads on the site!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #87
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
If you have all the wiring going to the resistor and the fans, then you should have two main wires. A green with white and green with blue. If you give power to the green with white you will get dual low speed fans. If you supply power to the green with blue, you get dual high speed fans. Notice they are protected by a 60A fuse and need a minimum of 10 gauge wire.

If you are missing the wiring to the resistor then you likely have a green with yellow and a green with orange at the fans. Treat them as simple motors at that point, power and grounds, use relays. This is a good way to do it with the popular flex-a-lite controller. This would be for dual high speed fans.

And if you would like to have it wired with a three way switch for the option of on/off/auto, you would wire it like this.
So my question...I have the wiring as in the first diagram - all the way back to Green/White and Green/Blue. I will be splicing a temp switch into the radiator line nearest the thermostat housing. I want THAT to switch both fans on low and my A/C relay to set it on high. My PCM does not have a fan switch at all. Do I wire the battery box (relays) EXACTLY like your diagram, with pin 86 providing the line IN from the temp switch and/or the A/C? It seems as this is a ground so it confuses me slightly! The net result would be to have both fans on low with the temp switch and both on high when compressor is running. I might get a two-temp switch to turn on high when,say, 220 is reached..crawling, hot day, etc....

Am I correct with my input to the relay?
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #88
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
HI BB This thread has been very quiet for some time but I think Coiz is meaning that these go to ground, if I'm not mistaken. It is Coiz's diagrams that my setup is going to go by, once I FINALLY get this damm oil leak fixed.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #89
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

OK, so I want to add some ideas to this because I've seen some great threads on others sites about the temp sensor set up. I give FULL credit to 99.8% of this to this thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

HOWEVER for jeepers we need to have a temp sensor that works.... so here is MY setup;

1 x jeep CJ8 with a 4.0 head and MPFI (not necessary but you gotta have A VEHICLE)

1 x Contour 2 speed, 2 fan - I have elected to use the resistor in the bottom left of the fan so that two fans come on with first trigger, stay on but increase speed for 2nd trigger.

1 BMW 2 temperature sensor - 61311378073 from a BMW 90's, always screwed into radiator however they are availabe from Rock AUto here: https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,107,61311378073

1 VOLVO 2 speed relay - as seen in the link - it's from 90's Volvo;s they were 9.95 each at picknpull in March 2013~ I snagged two and ONE WIRING LOOM / connectors to help it all go along

So far everything here is n line with the posts in the last 6 pages .

My biggest question was how to thread a metric 14mm temperature sensor (this one closes two circuits based on tempereature... 195 and 210 are triggers I believe) The thread above is the originator of this cool idea.....not me

NAPA did not have any threaded t-pieces that I could put inline with my 5/8 heater hose. HOWEVER by CHANCE I tried a NAPA 5/8 heater item that had a threaded connection and... it worked! Partt number 660-1414. It has 5/8 nipples and a thread that will work. AWESOME

So the BMW switch into the NAPA heater hose adapter creates TWO grounding opportunities for different temperature settings.

For me, both these grounding signals from the '0' pin can run to a (SPDT?) switch as in the original diagram, with a HIGH setting that automatically grounds the high if you will be winching while pumping tires with your compressor and stationary and just started the engine!, an OFF that turns it off for water crossings or simple desire, and a 'standard' setting that is automatic. Make sense?
img_1812.jpg   img_1813.jpg   img_1811.jpg   acesvolvoschematictaurusfan.png  
Unread 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #90
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Looks like a good setup except for it looks like that controller was intended to run a single cooling fan on two speeds and not double fans, just wondering if it was designed to handle the load. You really just need two 60A relays and the two different temperature switches to achieve the dual speed operation you are looking for. Adding in the on/off/auto is easy. I can draw you a custom diagram if you tell me exactly what you are looking at doing.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.