My Electric Fan Swap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My Electric Fan Swap

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #61
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacksahara View Post
Any of you guys know how to take 3 relays and make a Low to High step up relay system? I am going to run a mkVIII fan and would like it to come on at 170ish and turn to high at 195. But that set-up requires a step up, as high draws a ton of voltage at first. Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

Thanks
You can do what you want with only two relays and one resistor much like the stock Contour wiring above. The low speed relay gets grounded with your ~170* coolant switch and the fan gets powered through the resistor to medium speed. The high speed relay gets grounded with a separate ~195* coolant switch and power flows directly to the fan with no resistor for high speed. It does not matter if they are both grounded at the same time because the electricity will always find the least resistance to ground and run the fan on high.

I could draw you a diagram if I had too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Where's that icon for slapping my forehead?

Only NOW do I get it! That resistor (R27) on the shroud provides the slow speed and I don't imagine that's going to jolt the fan motors as I feared! So just a pair of 30/40 or 70 amp relay ahead of the whole shooting match should do the trick then! whew! ....unless I'm wrong again !
You're right that the resistor in the shroud is what creates the medium speed fans. It is in the shroud for a reason because it needs to get cooled by the airflow from the fan. I actually have mine wired to where they both turn on/off at the same time, but one is medium speed and the other is high speed.

If you want to use the stock resistor and have them both run at medium then high speed, wire it just like the Contour diagram but instead of the PCM it will be two different coolant temperature switches just like I described above. You can wire in a ground switch on the higher temp relay as a quick override for high speed fans too.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #62
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

So I was planning to do this swap, and picked up a contour fan at the junkyard. Was an opportunity as it was already removed from the car. I have just finished my MpFI swap so I have a 93 Cherokee harness. It has relay and wiring provisions for a fan, as well as a temp sensor Wonder of it will suffice to operate the fan?

Also, Ned, where did you get all that room? Mine is very tight between the radiator and pulley. And it's a stock radiator. Doing some test fitting I don't think the fan will fit, even with mods.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #63
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Thanks so much for your patience Mike, I was overthinking this setup and, as I already have one temperature switch wired in, I understand the dynamics. Wiring in a second on should prove simple to me now. Geez, how did I make Sgt. in the Marines with my limited intelligence? (Luckily I got out before I made E-6, the "rockers" under the stripes, we used to joke, symbolizes yer brains going to yer @ss.)
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #64
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

One more thing Mike (sorry) & all, I saw a post on another forum where the Jeeper installed that diode on a jumper between the + and - poles at [C 1859] of the fan motor,

explaining that with the fans off that diode will prevent the fan blades from reverse winding of the electric motors preventing damage. Is this so and is this the proper location to place that diode?

Also, here's a pic of the resistor on the '89 Merc Mystique fan I have. (a little different than the dual strip kind I've seem elsewhere)

Unread 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #65
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Okay gang, after being frustrated by failed attempts at getting part nos. I decided to go back to the boneyard and found these;

The text on the green one reads;
Ford C8F6A
93B6 8C616 AA
RELAT ASY.
ENG. COOL.
FAN CONTR.
12V-
[PA6-G30

The text on the normal sized one reads;
FORD G1UHD
93BG 14N089 CA
V23136-J4-X1

12V 70A

PA

Can anyone tell me if these are correct and what's up with the oversized green one?
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #66
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

So, using Mike's posted Contour diagram are these the relays?
Are these relays the correct ones as shown in that diagram (K46 & K45)?

Friggen Ford Dealership can't tell me on account of Ford's two year (in some cases) obsolesence procedure.
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #67
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Went back to the boneyard looking for a bank of relay sockets (small footprint) and I found two more 70/80 amp relays for free with a more contemporary number;

I scanned several vehicles for small footprint relay pods, but so far those that take Bosch style relays are 6x9" and larger.
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #68
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Sorry for my incessant posts folks, I will desist.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #69
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Keep going.. it may help others, and if you rum into more issues, others can follow/catch up to help!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #70
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks Cutlass, I just got too enthusiatic and posted that close up of that relay across too many threads that made me a nuisance to some. I'm going to be much more responsible now.
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #71
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Yippeee! Got a box of 'em in and the ARE the right ones/size!
Thanks to everyone whom didn't find my cross posts annoying.

...and I have more faith in Czech manufacture than that of China. Also as I've promised on more than a couple forums if anyone else is building these relay sockets drop me a line and I'll mail you enough of these (2) to get your fan project going on this 70/80 amp relay!
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #72
SteelOutlawed
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
You won't need the resistor if you wire the two fans together and use a Variable Speed Controller to run the fans.

These are the pigtails: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2556 You may be able to acquire them from an alternative source. But based on those prices, it'll run ya around $40 for two shipped.

The plastic housings for the plugs are available from Ford, but they do not include the crimp on terminals for the wire. The part is a Delphi (AC Delco) item, but they aren't your traditional spade connectors. I searched (internet) in vain for a source and could not locate one.
My fan came with the wiring, but I have a question. I was looking at the wires that connect to the fans themselves and when I pulled the loom out from around them the two wires look to just be braided copper. Why would these not have insulation on them? Shouldn't one of the wires be + and one -? How can they not short out?
SteelOutlawed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #73
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I'm still planning on using the resistor setup to keep things affordable and to kep my skills in tune.

Hmmm, mine were insulated with plastic shielding, if I'm thinking where you're referring to. Can you post a pic?
Unread 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #74
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelOutlawed View Post
My fan came with the wiring, but I have a question. I was looking at the wires that connect to the fans themselves and when I pulled the loom out from around them the two wires look to just be braided copper. Why would these not have insulation on them? Shouldn't one of the wires be + and one -? How can they not short out?
Here's all the pics I took of mine:

Everything had some form of insulation on. I did some additional 'HackFabin' to get the wiring the way I wanted:
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #75
SteelOutlawed
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies. I just made new wires and ditched the ones that came with it. Worked out great it's the first time since I had the Jeep that I can just sit and idle without the temprature climbing. I wished I had of done this a long time ago. I went with the FAL controller and it works great.
SteelOutlawed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.