My East TX Jeep Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My East TX Jeep Project

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Alright ... I checked the PCV valve today. No dice. It was in good working order and was just as clean as the brand new one I picked up at the store. Guess that means I'm going to do a pressure check next.

... I was also able to get my trans leak fixed or at least well see in the morning if there's any red stuff on the floor.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Started tearing down my 7 today. All looks good so far. I'll try to post some pics soon. First thing ill be doing is getting little stuff off since I've got to take it to the frame shop to get the frame checked and get the roll bar straightened out...

In the mean time, I'm trying to fix some odds and ends on my 5 without really tearing into it as well... I want to keep at least one Jeep drivable!! Seems as though I still have the oil and transmission leaks ... bughhhh. Doesn't seem as bad as it was, so I'm just going to keep a close eye on the fluids for now. With cold weather coming I won't be driving it as much anyways. On a positive note, I got done wrapping the headers and got them stuff back in, and MAN is this thing quiet! Or at least quieter behind the wheel. Makes it sounds mean back at the pipes though ... and keeps things a hell of a lot cooler too.

The one thing I want to fix right now is a "hard start" problem. Hot or cold, it seems like the engine always takes a minute to start up. It cranks and cranks and finally comes to life after about 10s... almost like it isn't getting any fuel. THEN ....when I shut it down I can hear a gurgle coming from underneath. I've read and heard about a vacuum being created in the fuel lines while running, but I'm not sure how to check to see if this is a definite problem ... or how to fix it?? I'm guessing this is the problem since if I shut it down and then immediately crank it up it starts up with no problem.

Any ideas??? I've read through the forums, but maybe I'm not searching with the right words ...

Thanks in advance ....

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Scoutski

A quick check for the hard start after sitting; Before you crank it pull the air cleaner and squirt a little gas into the carb. If it fires right up then you will know that somehow the fuel is getting out of the bowl. Then the fun starts trying to find out how and why. If it still takes a long time to fire then I would suspect low compression. Just guessing!
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Good thinkin! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot when I get home later on.

-Scott

Unread 10-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

So, that did it ... I sprayed some fuel straight into he carb this morning (cold start) and it fired right up. No hesitation whatsoever. Now... How do I fix it??

Another problem has popped up since reinstalling my headers... After I shut Dow. The engine, it now gives me a "pop pop" kind of back fire. Sounds like from the exhaust. I didn't change anything when I wrapped the headers other than unplugging the SP wires, but I was careful to get them back on in the right order. Other than the backfire, it runs great. Any thoughts.? Thanks!

-Scott

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Simple things to check:

No cracks, kinks, or bad vacuum lines. All unused vacuum lines capped or closed. Fuel filter clean and in the appropriate orientation in respect to delivery and return lines.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks Jon, I'll be sure to add those to my to-check list...

I played around with the carb a bit this morning. I was sitting at a fast idle while in park so I tuned that a bit. Seemed to help the starting issue a bit. I think maybe w/ the fast idle the plugs may have been getting soaked & not firing correctly. They look a little gross too. I'm going to have to replace my plug wires soon anyway, so I'll take the opportunity to change the plugs as well. Just from an initial look, all my vacuum lines look good and are placed in the right spots. Will check the fuel filter this afternoon (gotta run the dogs to the vet).

I still need to post some pictures .... my iphone pics are too big to post w/ the JF app ... maybe I can take some with my tablet and post it from there... Ahhh technical stuff. If only my computer were a CJ. ... but I guess that means I would have lifted it & rebuilt it twice by now.

-Scott

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

oh yeah ... and no more, for now, backfire after playing with the carb.

-Scott

Unread 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Scoutski

The "pop pop sound" could be caused by the throttle plate in the carburetor not closing when the engine is turned off. This is usually due to the carb not being adjusted properly, or it could be part of your hard to start issue. ie, The fuel in the bowl is dribbling into the intake even with the throttle plate closed and the with a a hot spot in the combustion chamber the fuel will ignite and cause a rattling or popping sound. This can also be due to the timing being set incorrectly and you get pre ignition. Keep looking and you will find it!
Scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks Scout. That's good to know too. I've already been playing with it for awhile and it's been doing WAY better after the adjustment ... Go figure.

-Scott

Unread 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Been a big couple of days this week...

Got my shims in from Tom Woods, 6* shims to correct the castor angle on the front axle. The PO installed a 4" lift but didn't do much else. I also took the opportunity to change out the shocks, as all of them were shot ... literally no movement what-so-ever, with new Rancho 5000 series shocks. Rides much better now and steering is a huge improvement. I also got tired of my hot start issues continuing so I installed a remote starter solenoid. Got that all wired up tonight so tomorrow .... tomorrow I'm gonna run the crap out of it to test it out. Actually, I'm going to drive out to the pick u parts yard for some scavenging and back ... should be a good day for a long drive.

-Scott

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Sooo here's a question ....

Right now, I'm stuck in 4H. I have 4L & 2L but not 2H ... obviously there's something screwy with the t-case. I plan on addressing this later in the spring (I'll be working on getting my CJ7 during the winter months). My question is, for now, should I drop the front DS out so the t-case isn't running with load on the front while driving on dry pavement? ... Or is it really worth the trouble? Just don't want to be driving around putting extra stress on things when it's not necessary.

Thoughts??

-Scott

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
Cashcrazy

Give the linkage a spray of oil and try to work it in 2h. I read you had a 350/th350 but I must have missed what tcase was in it. The linkage might not be set correctly if it was a swap. Chevy also used the np203 a full time tcase and will have a metal casing(vs aluminum). It may have that setup.
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Thanks crazy. The linkage works very smoothly. So I don't think it's a sticking problem.... An all time 4wd, eh. Would be nice to find out its no a problem at all! Haha!!

Will try to crawl under in a bit to check things out. ... And maybe FINALLY post some pics!

-Scott

Unread 10-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Going to get a little work done on the Jeep this morning ... today's plan ... replaced plugs and plug wires. Then readjust idle and mixture screws. Driving around the other day I started loosing power after 40mph or so, especially under acceleration. I know the PO ran the engine really rich and the plugs looks like crap, so I'm putting my bets on that. Hopefully getting those changed out will do the trick.

May out the soft top on as it's getting chilly here in the mornings .... but a hoodie and a cap work just as well. LONG LUCE THE BIKINI TOP!!!

-Scott

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.