My East TX Jeep Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My East TX Jeep Project

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

My East TX Jeep Project

So, after buying myself another Jeep & trolling here, looking & finding answers, & meeting lots of friendly people who've given their free time to help me get my new ride up and running ... I've decided to post a build thread as I'm sure there will be many more questions & lots more work done on my Jeep. Better than posting a bunch of separate postings I guess. Plus, maybe my questions & crusades will help some other schmo out.

I found my Jeep back in the beginning of May whiel returning home from a run (I own a lawn biz here with a wide territory & travel a lot of back roads). Its an '77 CJ5 with a Chevy, small-block 350 dropped in. I have no idea as to the tranny since it was converted to an automatic. I'm guessing probably from the same vehicle the engine came from. The Jeep was running, abeit roughly, when I got it, but have since gotten it running very smoothly. I've also rewired/ fixed all the lights, replaced the brake switch, the TS switch, most of the light fixtures.

While I really want this beast to look as great as it sounds, I'm forcing myself to focus on "function" before "fun".

Here's a couple of pics from when I bought it & got it home.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1372720792

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1372720792

Future plans include:
- addition of coolant tank ... a 350 get dang hot here in East TX summers
- dual coolant fans
- new main gauge IOT get all the extragauges off the dash the PO stuck on there
- new Smitty built bumper
- new body mounts to replace worn out & cracked ones
- new seats (maybe a new rear seat as well)
- replacement/ lockable glove box
- new stereo w/ speakers stradling the "hump" under dash
- maybes include ... addition of power steering, disc brake upgrades, brake booster upgrades .... really on the fence with these. Seems like if I want them I'd just buy another Jeep?!?

Anyway .... I guess this is more for my pleasure than anything. Maybe it'll help some one else out in the future. Too many to name already, but thanks to everyone that has already answered my previous questions and concerns.

-Scott

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

VERY nice! A great ongoing project Jeep. Sounds like she's found a home. All she needs now is a good name.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Haha! I've bounced a few around...

Thanks for the comments. I was in Pearland for awhile, but I had my WJ back then... Miss that thing.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Alrighty, first things first.... I've decided to run a coolant/ overflow tank but am collecting/ learning info as I read it. I get the general idea from previous posts here, but am confused as to if I need a new radiator cap and why? I understand the coolant will boil over and go into the tank, hence the overflow tank, but when it cools an pressures change, wouldn't it just get sucked back up the tube into the radiator? Is that what a cap is for? To "seal" the top? And do I need to run two hoses or just connect the drain hose from my existing radiator? I'm thinking about going with a basic plastic tank from quadratec for about $19.

If anyone has a quick write up or a link I haven't seen yet, I'd appreciate t. Thanks!!
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Been awhile since I was on here posting .... been doing a lot of trolling and research.

The coolant tank add on went VERY smoothly. I was initially over thinking everything. Total, I think it cost me $25 and about a hour under the hood.... made a world of difference.

Right now, I'm working to get some things cleaned up as I seem to have both a trans fluid leak and a small oil leak. The trans leak looks like it's coming from around the seal. Just going to change the fluid and filter while I'm under there ... problem is, I don't know how to tell what type of transmission I have? Keep in mind this jeep has a Chevy 350 dropped in, mated to an automatic trans. The guy at pepboys, who actually knows his stuff, gave me the filter he thought it would be, but it's not right. How do I find the right filter? I do I know what transmission I have???

Thank in advance.

Edit: Just found this online and thought I'd share ... maybe it would help someone else in the future.

"You need the block casting number and the block's suffix code. Casting # is on driver's side rear of engine, on flanged that transmission bolts too. Suffix code is on pass side front of block.. Look in front of pass side head, there's a little machined pad there, up towards the intake some. Clean both of those places off with a rag, old tooth brush, and wd-40.. Then write the #'s down. Once you have the numbers you can go to www.mortec.com or www.nastyz28.com to look up what they mean. Those numbers will tell you year, size, HP, TQ, carb/injection used, tranny used, and car it was installed in."

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Speaking of leaks ... here's another quick question. The oil leak mentioned above seems to be coming from the top of the dipstick tube as there's oil covering my plug wires, the starter, and the area around it. It's a little hard to tell from underneath as it's just gotten slung around and sprayed everywhere by the wind. I'm confused by the apparent leak at the top of the dip stick though .... and the stick itself doesn't seem to want to sit all the way down inside the tube either.

Any thoughts as what I need to be checking here .... sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't know this 350 engine well enough yet...

Thanks again.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Probably has a Chevy th350 trans. Pretty much the shortest trans available. Hard to fit an auto in a cj5.
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

pcv valve or do a compression check and see if the rings or valve seals are bad.

pcv will cause pressure to build up in the block and bleed out the dip stick tube and so will rings/valve seals
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Or a clogged crankcase breather- the other side of the Pcv. My jeep was an east tx gem. Bought in Etoile tx, across lake Sam Rayburn. I told people when I got her she was like an east tx girl-rough, ornery, and needed some love.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

Tiger - you're exactly right! Confirmed it today that it's a 350trans...

Superj - I've been reading about those checks. Will try to look those over tomorrow or Thursday. Like I said above ... with the 350 swap, it's not like there's a book to reference .... but I'm finding this site invaluable.

Jon - East TX has been good to me jeep wise as well. Found my 5 up north of canton and my 7 over near van. I found another 7, a red one, just a few miles from the house but I value my testicles too much. ... and I won't ask how you know that about east tx girls ... hahaha!!! Gig'em!

-Scott

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

I had another question I was going to get an answer for so I could get it fixed this weekend ...

I've got a vacuum in my fuel lines that makes the jeep hard to start. When I drive the jeep around and then shut'r down, you can hear the fuel being sucked back toward the tank. If you restart the jeep right after you shut it down, it'll start right up, but any longer and it's hard to start until fuel gets back up the line.

Had a hard time searching for a solution on the forum, but might be just the wording I'm using .... any/ all help is greatly appreciated!

-Scott

Unread 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Check and make sure you have the right gas cap on the jeep, should be a vented one. And if that doesn't help, make sure your gas tank vent isn't plugged.

And we won't talk about how I know about the east tx girls. let me know if you need anything for those jeeps.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

If I need anything!!!! ... hell yeah I need stuff!

The 5 is pretty good to go already. Just need to fix a few things to get it running a little smoother. The only things I'm missing/ needing to replace I can think of are the seats and seat frames. I also need to replace the main gauge, new dash lights, etc, to get the dash up to speed. I'm going to be replacing the glove box with a tuffy coming in the mail.

The 7 is a different story. Off the top of my head...
- need to rewire the headlights, and all lights up front, from the fire wall forward. Going to do a headlight relay harness from scratch on this one.
- needs new shackles, shocks, springs
- new tail light housings & lens
- hard doors & hard top (I'm an optimist, I know...)
- tires
- spare tire mount
- washer fluid reservoir pump
And I haven't even been through the engine bay yet, but the in-line six runs great as does the transmission and transfer case...

My job is very busy during the spring and summer, so I'm just now getting around to getting lists together. Any time you're in this neck of the woods you're more than welcome out at the house ... just stay away from my daughter! .... hahahaha!!!!!

-Scott

Unread 10-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
If I need anything!!!! ... hell yeah I need stuff!

The 5 is pretty good to go already. Just need to fix a few things to get it running a little smoother. The only things I'm missing/ needing to replace I can think of are the seats and seat frames. I also need to replace the main gauge, new dash lights, etc, to get the dash up to speed. I'm going to be replacing the glove box with a tuffy coming in the mail.

The 7 is a different story. Off the top of my head...
- need to rewire the headlights, and all lights up front, from the fire wall forward. Going to do a headlight relay harness from scratch on this one.
- needs new shackles, shocks, springs
- new tail light housings & lens
- hard doors & hard top (I'm an optimist, I know...)
- tires
- spare tire mount
- washer fluid reservoir pump
And I haven't even been through the engine bay yet, but the in-line six runs great as does the transmission and transfer case...

My job is very busy during the spring and summer, so I'm just now getting around to getting lists together. Any time you're in this neck of the woods you're more than welcome out at the house ... just stay away from my daughter! .... hahahaha!!!!!
The headlight relay is an awesome upgrade. Anything to put more light on the road is a plus. Did it to mine and its been a great addition. I did an all on headlight upgrade to my daily driver (07 chevy silverado 2500) so when my hi beams are on, both the hi, lo are on, as well as the fog lights. I drive a bunch of farm and county backroads on a regular basis. Makes it easy to see deer, hogs, and cattle hanging out in the ditch waiting to dart out in front of me heading home or to work.
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

That sounds like a good idea for me too .... I've got a '10 F-150 and I'm out a lot early in the mornings. Going to do the headlight relay on the 7 first, but I'll built 2 harnesses at the same time. That way I've got one for the 5 when I'm ready for it. Can't have both jeeps down at the same time ... withdrawals.

-Scott

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.