My clutch "shudders" but only when cold. Why? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My clutch "shudders" but only when cold. Why?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

My clutch "shudders" but only when cold. Why?

Trying to sort aout a few issues with my '79 CJ7. My clutch shudders pretty hard when cold and starting from a stop. Once the engine has come up to temp and I have driven for 5-10 min. the the clutch is smooth as silk upon starting froma stop. Can anyone give me some ideas why?

AtomicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Is it grinding or clunking when going into first or reverse gear? My 79 cj7 does this sometimes. I feel like it is probably in the pilot bearing. Will pull tranmission and t-case this summer.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
AtomicRanger
1979 CJ7 

No. Goes into gear fine. Just really shudders (for lack of another word) when starting off cold. Sometimes have to put the clutch back down and rev/gas it to keep from stalling. Looks like I'm 15 and learning how to drive a manual. After driving a bit its nice and smooth.
AtomicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

Clutch

SOMETIMES WHEN A CLUTCH DISC IS REPLACED YOU WILL GET ONE THAT WILL DO THAT. I DO NOT KNOW WHY. YOUR FLYWHEEL MAY HAVE HOT SPOTS IN IT AND NEEDS TO BE RESURFACED. SOME DISC ARE SOLID DISC, I PREFER DICS THAT HAVE THE DAMPER SPRINGS IN THE CENTER OF THE DISC. THE PRESSURE PLATE MAY HAVE BEEN REMOVED AND OR REPLACED AND INSTALLED WITH UNEVEN BOLT TIGHTENING AND HAVE WARPED THE PRESSURE PLATE CAUSING THE SHUDDER.
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.