Is my CJ7 a Laredo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is my CJ7 a Laredo?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Plastixrecycler

Is my CJ7 a Laredo?

I've just bought a 1985 CJ7 and I'm not sure if it is a base model or a Laredo. It has no "Laredo" Decals on the hood, however, it has the Laredo Trim around the body and a "Limited Edition" Badge below the doors. Here's some pics.

photo-3.jpg  
photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Plastixrecycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

its really hard to say. but I can tell you that you can get those exact limited edition badges at Wal-Mart or autozone. they have defiantly been added. a Laredo should have a leather wrapped steering wheel and oh ***** bar. most but not all had a clock and tach on the dash, and mine has a Laredo emblem on the glove box door.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

If it is, there is not much left of the trim package. Is the grille chrome? Pin striping on the dash? Sharp looking CJ either way!

Did the PO bedazzle the fender flares?
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Plastixrecycler

Thank you! The grille is chrome but there's no pin striping on the dash or leather wrapped grab bar. A lot of the trim is covered by the diamond plating. And I think the fenders are aftermarket.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Does the chrome grill have pin-striping? If not, it's probably an aftermarket version. The rearviews are also not chrome, so my guess is that you don't have a Laredo. One sure way to tell if it was a Laredo at conception is to look at the trim code on the VIN tag. You should have some letters like 5EB or something. If yours was a black Laredo at conception, your three digit trim code would be 1EJ. 1=Black, E=High back seats, J=Vinyl with vertical purse straps.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Trim packs could be added at the dealership and dealers often produced their own limited editions to sell a few more units. Therefore a Laredo might have come from the factory as such and you could maybe identify this from the VIN data, or it was added at the dealer and the VIN will say something else or it could just have some Laredo bits and not others.

My 1981 CJ7 is a Willys Universal CJ7 on the documents with a sequential chassis number stamped on at the Jakarta assembly plant, chrome grille (no pin stripes), chrome bumpers, clock, tach, chrome glovebox. It is on at least its 3rd set of mirrors, now tastefully stainless, chrome hinges replaced and used to have ARB AIR LOCKER Air Operated Locking Diferential (sic) on the side of the hood.

Is it a Laredo?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Not sure you even have an amc jeep body on it, in the pics I see no stamped jeep/joop. so laredo/ larado/limited edition is pretty much moot.
enjoy it, maybe take that diamond plate off, unless you like it.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

So many variables... Like said above, the 1EJ is the dead giveaway for a Laredo. So much has been changed now at this point it doesn't really matter anyway.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Plastixrecycler

Yeah, just wanted to see. The PO must have taken off the Jeep badges, here's the back stamped. Where can I find the trim code? Also, yes, I plan on taking off the diamond plating.
photo.jpg  
Unread 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

What yahwhy is talking about is this stamp on both sides of the tub.

image-992667448.jpg

It's stamped there at the factory, stickers are added after paint.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Plastixrecycler

I thought they stopped stamping the side panels after '83.
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
BlkCJ7Laredo

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastixrecycler View Post
I thought they stopped stamping the side panels after '83.
Side panels on all CJ's from '55 up I think are stamped in one place or another. They all said JEEP, then Jeep, then mid-84 went to Joop as pictured above.

YJ's were Joop and TJ sides were stamped also, but just a raised blob with Jeep decal. JK's aren't stamped.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Plastixrecycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
If it is, there is not much left of the trim package. Is the grille chrome? Pin striping on the dash? Sharp looking CJ either way!

Did the PO bedazzle the fender flares?
Just took a look at those flairs, I guess he did, haha. The bolts obviously don't screw into anything.
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Plastixrecycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Does the chrome grill have pin-striping? If not, it's probably an aftermarket version. The rearviews are also not chrome, so my guess is that you don't have a Laredo. One sure way to tell if it was a Laredo at conception is to look at the trim code on the VIN tag. You should have some letters like 5EB or something. If yours was a black Laredo at conception, your three digit trim code would be 1EJ. 1=Black, E=High back seats, J=Vinyl with vertical purse straps.
Where can I find the trim code on the jeep?
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastixrecycler View Post
Where can I find the trim code on the jeep?
On a tag riveted to the firewall with the VIN tag.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.