Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

MY CJ7 build picture heavy

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  ajstewart 
#1 ·
So I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel...I started my build may 2008 when I bought two 1983 CJ7s

That summer I sold parts to fund the project and tore down the yellow jeep (fiberglass) and pulled parts from the rene (rust bucket)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

this engine was shot it was a jasper rebuild that was so burnt out I couldnt get it to turn at all...traded it for skid plates and a mini fridge :)

These pictures are from last fall when the air is so cold and cracking knuckles makes you want to can the entire project (everything i did up to this point has been outside...

REBUILD time...
From the rust bucket we had a dana and amc 20 T-5 trans and dana 300 that all had less then 4000 miles on them...when we cracked em' open everything looked prestine but I didnt have my digital...so we resealed everything and swaped fluids...The original engine I6 was in great shape cept for the valve cover and carb...so we swapped out...yet to get to going but the engine ran before :shhh:
back to pictures we took the frame down to bare metal almost no rust :)

Then painted it with por 15 and replaced all brake and fuel lines

then came the body...
we had to fab up some extra supports to line up the body (fiberglass seemed to bend while it was off the frame...

before

After

and here is where im at right now

And the list of stuff left to do so I can get on the road for next summer

Retube and clean up the engine
PAINLESS WIREING HARNESS
RE-WIRE DASH
MOUNT STEERING SHAFT
LOCATE DOT APPROVED ROUND LED TAIL LIGHTS
SHOCKS
MOUNT PEDALS
MOUNT SEATS
FAB REAR BUMPER WELDING A SWING OUT BRONCO CARRIER ON ITS SIDE TO MY FLAT BUMPER
MOUNT STUBBY FRONT BUMPER
MY TARGET END DATE IS MAY 2010 WHICH WOULD MAKE THIS A 2 YEAR REBUILD...

See less See more
#4 ·
joon here is the story...I bought both jeeps from the same guy who planned to do what I did, he just ran out of space...the rene originally purchased by a the owner of a gas station as a plow truck (original miles 4000) he had a stroke in 1985 and the jeep sat there untill 2005 where it was slowly eaten from the ground up...the interior was perfect (passenger seat still had the plastic on it original paper from the dealer ship was on the carpet...i found several guys who were doing oem rebuilds and they bought the interior...some other guy stopped by my house randomly and offerd 400 for the doors on the spot i agreed because the bottoms were rotted out...I kept the complete drive train and thats really it...im trying to sell the hard top (doesnt fit right on the fiberglass tub and then ill have the rene minus the tub and frame gone...
The yellow had a good frame and the tub...that was about it

The shop is actually in an inner city school...I partnerd with the mechanic/auto body teacher there to let his kids do the body work (its cheaper and it allows them to work start to end on little projects) not many people will go for this because they dont trust the kids...i do

I have to say that with the sale of parts and trading/barter system...I have almost broke even including the original purchase...the two western plows i got from the PO really helped:)

#6 ·
to be honest it lifted itself lol we did an add a leaf and then we had to add shims to even out the body...its about a 2 inch lift all around...The add a leaf wasnt supposed to give it any lift and we werent really planning on the supports comming out like that but we planned ahead and had extra length in all cables and lines

#7 ·
UPDATE!!!
So i have Thursday and Friday off from work (first days off since thanksgiving RETAIL BLOWS) my plan is to put the heater blower set up back in (looks pretty easy), pop the radiator back in. At this point Ill probably be done for the winter because its cold and my garage doesnt have heat...I spoke to a jeep guy a couple nights ago and he gave me a couple things to do...wanted to bounce it off you guys...high energy distributor with chevy conversion and a gm wiring harness over painless. I'm not a mechanic by any means i can change oil do brakes and body work...when it comes to out of the box modifications i am really lost...is it worth it to go this route or can I keep it stock? This jeep is going to be a beach vehicle and summer dd not a crazy off roader

#9 ·
Update on the jeep its sitting in my garage right now the weather being the way it its i havent been able to get alot done other then drill some holes for the seats and setting up my wish lists...and waiting for my tax return...anyone wanna help turn some wrenches? I could use an extra hand getting the windshield and stuff back on and together

#14 ·
the orange jeep in my profile pic.. thats the jeep i built while living in Tn.. dont have her nomore =(

This is the jeep i have now..

i just got it not to long ago.. still have some work to do to it b4 i take it for a real trail ride or wheeling it... but there is a spot not to far from me that some people go to.. some mud holes.. nothing big...

#16 ·
IT RUNS!!!! just a couple of odds and ends...
anyone have there seats sit too high????

Dash...I want to find a black cover that will eliminate the radio hole and all of the heater stuff (i dont have a heater) all it would need is the speedo part and oil/volt

any ideas about that seat angle? I bolted it all directly but I cannot figure it out

Once i figure out the driver seat ill put the passenger seat in

it seems krylon is the best paint for fenders? once they and the headlight bezels are done ill get that done ill be ready to get it on the road..

Also going to paint the blinker belzels black aswell...

Things to be completed
Herculine inside after i get plates on i need to drive this soon, fender flares mounted (painted)
Bumpers mounted (atleast the front) I might put bumperettes on while the custom bumper is finished (non swingout tire carrier)
no idea for a radio or how ill put it into the console

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.