my cj5 got hit now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > my cj5 got hit now what?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
cdmiller2
1981 CJ5 

my cj5 got hit now what?

my cj5 was involved in a hit and run accident two nights ago, I found the vehicle that hit my jeep the next morning, and turned it into the police, and I am going to have to start dealing with her insurance company next week. I am 21 and have never had to make an insurance claim before in my life, and am wondering what I have to do. My jeep is totalled the frame and rear axle are severely bent, the drivers side rear tire is rubbing on the tub, and the passenger side front tire is rubbing on the back of the fender its so bent. The body is angled steeply to the passenger side, and dented/bent in the drivers side corner. My jeep was fully restored except for paint, I rebuilt a sbc for it, rebuilt the t176, rebuilt the front axle and replaced every ball joint wheel bearings tie rods, retrofitted a dana 44 into the rear, sanded the frame down and painted it with base coat clear coat, painted all the axles and every part of the undercarrige. I have receipts for 8200 dollars of parts, as well as the 2500 dollar purchase price of the vehicle. I am wondering if the insurance company (state farm) is going to just value it at the book value, and give me that or will they work with me? all the receipts and work has been done in the past 2.5 years. I did all of the labor myself, can I add that into my receipts?

cdmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dang man, I feel bad for you and hope they pay you for everything.

My experience ith insurance companies is they are a bigger rip of then anything on the planet. Hopefully it is not true for you
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Arm yourself with pictures before the accident and every receipt you have, call your agent.

Don't stop until you get what you want.

When you think it is time to stop fighting, fight some more.

If you can outlast them, it will help.

Sadly, I doubt you will be satisfied in the end, but get as close as you can by doing what I just said.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

They will most likely try to pay you less than book value. Insurance companies use a different service to get vehicle values than the rest of the world. I know that they will usually pay retail value when you show them.

I would first look up the highest retail value on KBB and NADA. You may be surprised how high the upper end of the scale is. Also consider having it appraised for what it would have been worth without the damage. And lastly, talk to your insurance agent for tips. Present findings to the insurance company. If you can prove your Jeep is worth more than they say it is, they should pay it (or you can take legal action to force them)

Good Luck!
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

GET A LAWYER! Most won't accept contingency unless the repair value is greater than $1500. They will charge 33% but that is fine because you will get a lot more with them with a lot less work. Only way to keep insurance from screwing you.

Even though you do the work. Have a body shop give you an estimate.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Get a police report and GO TO HER AGENT, NOT YOURS. If you go to your agent, deductibles are in play, if you go to hers with the police report, you will fare much better, ecpecially if it is a HAR. Also, I think YOUR insurance agent is able to keep some of the claim for their effort, you will not see the amount they collected "on your behalf". Make her agent think that you intend to go straight to court with it for an amount you think is fair plus some, so you will "settle" for your price. If you do not get your price, go to civil court and file against both insurance and the person involved. Hopefully, they speedily settle satisfactorily.

Good luck!!

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Get a police report and GO TO HER AGENT, NOT YOURS. If you go to your agent, deductibles are in play, if you go to hers with the police report, you will fare much better, ecpecially if it is a HAR. Also, I think YOUR insurance agent is able to keep some of the claim for their effort, you will not see the amount they collected "on your behalf". Make her agent think that you intend to go straight to court with it for an amount you think is fair plus some, so you will "settle" for your price. If you do not get your price, go to civil court and file against both insurance and the person involved. Hopefully, they speedily settle satisfactorily.

Good luck!!

WSS
I don't think this is how it works at all.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Does in California.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Not how it worked for me in California. Your insurance policy COVERS the effort to recover your funds. That's why they're there in the first place. But because they don't get a piece, they're willing to settle for less, usually.

Neuner-9R is right! GET A LAWYER before you talk to anyone! Compile receipts and pictures and try to find COMPARABLE Jeeps for sale. You don't have a 10 year old vehicle that has a standard KBB value. You have a customized vehicle.

Hopefully this wasn't your daily driver. If it wasn't you have overcome their greatest advantage, and that's waiting you out.

Also. DO NOT worry about this affecting your rates. Unless you were parked illegally somewhere, the police report will reflect that this H&R was entirely HER fault. If you were driving the vehicle, you have more leverage, ESPECIALLY with a lawyer than you can imagine.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Standard procedure for insurance companies is to pay you for your loss minus the deductable. After you settle with your insurer, they go after the party at fault with ferver. Don't be fooled by this one. Happens all the time.

Lawyers cost money, usually yours. As I said before, if it is not satisfactory, go civil, there you will probably need a lawyer, try other avenues first, you'll fare better.
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

You should post some pre accident pics and post accident pics
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Standard procedure for insurance companies is to pay you for your loss minus the deductable. After you settle with your insurer, they go after the party at fault with ferver. Don't be fooled by this one. Happens all the time.

Lawyers cost money, usually yours. As I said before, if it is not satisfactory, go civil, there you will probably need a lawyer, try other avenues first, you'll fare better.
I've had a different experience.
While this is true when your insurance has to pay you for damage caused by you, when the other driver is at fault, especially if the driver has done extensive damage, the other insurance agency is usually quick to pony up a settlement, especially if it means avoiding litigation.
Also, take a couple of days to insure your alright. Many times a tweaked back or neck, or other aches and pains may need a quick trip the the doc's or chiropractor to get things right. Don't be too hasty to sign off on everything till you're sure you are all right and you have a solid feel on what you want for a settlement.
I would talk to a lawyer if in doubt, but you may find that the other company will give you full value for your Jeep, and probably rather quickly.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Some states are no fault - Mass. is one of 'em. Everyone's insurance covers their damages. Here in Va the one charged covers it all. Since she was charged, her insurance company should cover all damages. You will also need a rental. Insurance companys are a-holes, and you will need to be bull headed. Like earlier posts, photos prior to the accident (even any of the work in progress), receipts, and any other documentation you have showing what was done will be needed to set a value. Getting the body shop to give you a written estimate of value after resto was a great suggestion. Unfortunately, you are in for a hard fight - they will be very difficult to deal with, but like stated before, if you hang in and stand strong, you will fair much better than most. They count on folks just tucking tail and giving up. Dig deep, find your inner jerk, and bring him with you. And sadly, the lawyer route may be your best route, but I'd try presenting your side to her insurance first, see just bad they wanna screw ya, and then grab the lawyer if needed. Do NOT accept anything settlement-wise until you are happy. I could even see mental anguish playing a part - you busted your butt and this happened. If they think you're digging deep, they will be a little more likely to play fair. A little more......

Good luck and keep us posted. Stay strong, brother!
shum8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I agree with all of these reccomendations save for jumping to an Attorney. I had been the victim of a hit and run (and victim of a predatory insurance co.). This was for my van that was a full coverage line item covered up to $500,000 through the station/dock I manage. Progressive Casualty was about to low ball me after speaking with my agent over the phone when suddenly he said "You have no coverage for this vehicle." I dam near had a meltdown and with several more phonecalls, faxes and emails Progressive remained adamant. Now this vehicle was listed as a special inclusion line item as we have commercial traffic through this site, and in consolodating my insurance with this agent I thought it'd be prudent. I was about to give up but in my doorknocking to vatious insurance companies I happend upon an independant agent working at the State Farm office. When I was asked why I was switching companies/policy I related the story. She explained that prior to working as an agent she had worked for the Oregon State Insurance Commission, and that they went after such practices often. So I contacted the Commission, and online they had a form similar to a BBB form that I filled out along with photos, recieipts, the police report and other documents. Within 36 hours I received a call from that Progressive agent that I was covered fully, the claim was paid for fair market value and the extra equipment/repairs listed on my receipts along with full salvage. The funds received covered the repairs and then some. Might be a way to go if your state has such.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
cdmiller2
1981 CJ5 

I will get some pictures up shortly today, still waiting for the police report to get finished up before an adjuster can come out. I came up with 8600 of receipts for new parts, and a spread sheet with all the used parts. My family owns a body shop so I am going to bring it over to get an estimate.
cdmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.