My CJ wont move. Thoughts please.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My CJ wont move. Thoughts please..

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Betty7
1978 CJ7 

My CJ wont move. Thoughts please..

Hello there,
I'm hoping to get some feed back about my CJ,
Here's what she's doing, both drive shafts spin but she dont move,
There is no loud clunk as they spin, and it don't matter if I'm in two wheel of four, still won't move,
I have a set of axles on the way and I already have the T-case and another tranny.
I just thought I would see what you all had to say before I start tearing into it.
It's my first jeep and I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for any and all comments!
Stephanie

Betty7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
CSP

Are the front hubs locked in?

Auto transmission or manual?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Clutch working?
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Are you locking the front hubs when you are trying it in 4x4? That would be real strange to have both front and rear differentials blown. Unless someone pulled the gears out of them for another project?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
CSP

OP stated that both driveshafts are spinning.
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

ARE spinning or CAN spin? Transfer case in Neutral?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
OP stated that both driveshafts are spinning.
I understand, but I guess I don't understand what spinning means then? Jeep is sitting with all tires on the ground and you engage the clutch and the driveshafts start spinning and the jeep wont roll?

If so strange that back wheel wont turn then??
1981 CJ 7
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

If both driveshafts are spinning, then i think it means the transfer case is in 4WD, it's in gear and the transmission is engaged. The next step is, for the front, check if the hubs are engaged in 4x4. If nothing moves then, I think you have to open the differentials to look at the pinion to see if it is engaging the ring gear. Then if the axles are full seated into the gears.
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMark View Post
If both driveshafts are spinning, then i think it means the transfer case is in 4WD, it's in gear and the transmission is engaged. The next step is, for the front, check if the hubs are engaged in 4x4. If nothing moves then, I think you have to open the differentials to look at the pinion to see if it is engaging the ring gear. Then if the axles are full seated into the gears.
Right, if the rear driveshaft is spinning you are getting power to that obviously but there would have to be an issue with the rear diff for sure???
1981 CJ 7
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

In the Jeep registry, OP states she has 304, T15 & Dana 300. Hmmm, up on jackstands or stuck in the mud??
Unread 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
Right, if the rear driveshaft is spinning you are getting power to that obviously but there would have to be an issue with the rear diff for sure???
That's a possibility but it doesn't explain why it won't move, thus the questions about locking the hubs, etc. A rear axleshaft could also be spun and with an open diff it wouldn't move (not considering the front axle).

T15 isn't compatible with D300, so the OP has some bad info. Neither of them would have been original to a '78 CJ.
Unread 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Betty7
1978 CJ7 

Iill do my best to answer all your questions.
CPS, IM more then sure your right, I am not 100% on the models I have in my CJ and I don't know how to tell what they are, I was trying to remember what I was told when I got it and I clearly got it mixed up. Thank you for pointing that out.
My CJ is a manual and when I put it in gear the clutch don't grind so I think that's a good thing but again how would I know for sure if it was not working if it don't move?
when I was out there the other day I did a few different things so here it goes, my hubs were not locked in and the T-case was in 2 wheel, I then put it In gear and could feel the front driveshaft spinning, I also stuck my head down there and seen it just to make sure, I then put the T-case in 4 wheel and tried it without locking the hubs just to see and then both driveshaft's were spinning and still no movement, I then locked in the hubs and tried it and still nothing but spinning driveshaft's. Again I don't recall any loud clanks when I did any of this. Oh and mastercraftka when I mean spinning I mean they are going round n round but jeep don't move, dose that make since? yes the jeep is sitting on all 4 and no, not stuck in the mud lol
one other thing I remember is when I was shifting the T-case I could feel it go in and come out and I did find natural just to add that in there.
I thought this whole time it was the T-case that was broke but I get the feeling there more to it.
Ill tell you what I remember when it broke, I lost my 4 wheel in the morning and I was not romping on it just driving on a two track with
small hills, I drove it around all day like that, (just in 2 wheel) I later though it would be cool to try and drive up on a tire and fling it but when I let out the clutch and have it gas I then heard a clunk and she was done, I know not the smartest I ever done haha but it happen.
I realize they say don't buy a older jeep, truck, play and break it ext if you cant work on it yourself, when I seen this jeep I had to have it, I like everything about it and I am not willing to give it up. Im not completely hapless and not afraid to get my hands dirty, I just don't know enough to do it all alone, (the big stuff) but if you don't try you don't learn right? I like this jeep enough that its worth it to me.
I do have a Brother who has a YJ and he helps me when he can, but I cant ask him to do it all..
Thank you all for the comments it dose help me..

SO what do ya think
Unread 05-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
CSP

It's time for more diagnosis one axle at a time. It's easiest to start with the front.

With the Tcase in 4wd and the hubs locked in, have someone watch the axleshafts in the front axle to see if they are turning. If they are turning that means the front diff is working and there's a problem at the lockouts. If they don't turn it's time to pull the diff cover and see what it looks like inside.
Unread 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Betty7
1978 CJ7 

Thank you csp! I needed a starting point!
I hope you all don't mind but I may be asking a lot of questions.. lol
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I am still confused but that is me not yall, are we just talking about the front end?? Is there power to the rear end of the jeep?
1981 CJ 7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.