My CJ project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My CJ project

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

My CJ project

Ok well I am not exactly new to this site for it is my second post....woohoo.

Alright on to business. I purchased a 79 CJ 5 for my project that has a good running 304 with tranny and transfer. But it has cancer really bad probably the ugliest to be seen, but hey it worked for my benefit. Since I have slightly longer legs I felt the CJ 7 would be a more comfortable ride so I found a reconditioned tub from a 84 CJ7 for dirt cheap. The only plans for the tube to make it original is to replace the floor pans ( appeared to have fiberglass repairs done ). I recently purchased an 86 CJ7 frame with the Dana 44 widetrack to be spine of this project. The frame has minor surface rust with the frame to body mounts needing replaced. I plan to use the front clip and motor and additional accessories from the 79. The trails are calling me but I am not sure I can make it to them until sometime next spring, so that gives me the winter to do the work. I have read some topics regarding liners to seal the frame and tub so it is been planned to go that route. I would like to hear from members who have done similar tasks for your comments and /or gripes. Thanks

Unread 05-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

I would have said Powder Coat the frame when your finished , but I learned a costly lesson. Paint the from, if you plan to make any changes down the road and have to weld a bracket on the frame you'll have to grind the powder coating off, and then use paint to touch it up. I have to say it doesn't look pretty.

Sand blast the body's underside and use some POR15 to paint it. What the hell! use it on the frame too. You can touch it up if you change something. Hmmm, I'll have to write that down for myself.
Anyway now that I confused you and myself I'm going to work on my rig.
Keeps us informed as to your progress.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.