My brake issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My brake issues

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
JoeCJ
1981 CJ7 

My brake issues

I see that someone else on the board has an open thread about brake issues right now too, but I didn't want to step on his question. So if you're reading this and like, know stuff about brakes, look around the list a little more and see if you can help the other member, too, please.

Ok, my problem: sometimes (it's happened 2 or 3 times now) while stopped at an intersection or wherever with my foot on the brakes, the pedal -- normally very firm -- will suddenly get a little soft and sink about halfway to the floor. Then it stops, and the brakes hold. But the parking brake warning lamp comes on, which I guess is my CJ's way of saying "yo, brake problem." Pump the pedal even once, and all is back to normal.

It's an 81 CJ-7 with power brakes, and I just had them checked out for my annual state inspection. My mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, no leaks or anything. Since the problem doesn't happen all the time, I don't really know what to try next. Could the power brake booster be failing? Is there any way to check that out for sure before replacing it?

Thanks in advance!

Unread 03-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Master cylinder is going bad. There is probably some grit or buildup in the front half of the cylinder, lifting the cup and allowing it to loose pressure. Pumping the brakes will "recharge" that half of the system, restoring the pedal.This inbalance of pressure will trip the brake warning light telling you there is a problem.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
JoeCJ
1981 CJ7 

Hmm, okay, that sounds serious. Perhaps a pre-emptive master cylinder replacement would be a good idea.

Thanks!
Unread 03-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Geer_hed

Ebay one if you want..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2469299362
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
JoeCJ
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_hed
Ebay one if you want..
Thanks -- missed that one (not sure if it would have fit anyway).

But I also just recently discovered the dangerously convenient fact that Quadratec is located about 15 minutes from my house, so I can buy stuff and not have to pay any shipping. That's either cool, or really bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.