Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

my bbc cj project

40K views 259 replies 29 participants last post by  kw89425 
#1 ·
ok guys its been awhile. i havent had time to work on the cj but we have gotten started. turns out my frame wasnt in great shape so we mocked up the motor in the old frame and transfered it over to the good frame. i hope the pics work they arent the best. axels are in motor trans and case just need to fab the cross member the put it together or something like that..lol what do you guys think? oh yeah this is the 600hp stroker

pg[/IMG][/IMG]

See less See more
#4 ·
ok guys its been awhile. i havent had time to work on the cj but we have gotten started. turns out my frame wasnt in great shape so we mocked up the motor in the old frame and transfered it over to the good frame. i hope the pics work they arent the best. axels are in motor trans and case just need to fab the cross member the put it together or something like that..lol what do you guys think? oh yeah this is the 600hp stroker

There ya go! :highfive: Nice work! :thumbsup:

#7 ·
That looks good...I definitely plan on doing a BBC sometime in the future. I'd like to hear some about the engine. I've got a "mild" SBC in mine putting out in the neighborhood of 550 hp, but want to step up to a healthy big block when I get a few seasons in on this engine.

What are your plans for this setup? Got any plans yet for headers/exhaust? How is your fender clearance going to look?

#9 ·
thanks guys. it is 4x4 ton running gear with a 465 and 205. not sure on the headers yet. the motor is a 496 stroker with 4340 crank and rods je pistons full roller with a big ole cam. makes right at 600 hp. the motor went 6.44 at 106 mph in the 1/8 on pump gas in a 2900 lbs tube chassis on pump gas... yeah i know its overkill but i had the cj and the motor just screamin to be used. if i can get driveshafts and joints to hold i think everything else will be ok. going to brace the frame all i can too. i will take any advice on this project and header ideas as well.

#11 ·
I personally think you should have gone with a bigger engine......

:laugh:

Maybe you could've bought a couple of turbines from an Apache attack helicopter? Orrr even see if NASA will sell you a solid rocket booster from the now-defunct space shuttle program? I think those are rated at about 60,000 lbs of thrust each... :thumbsup:

Just ribbing ya.. I'm extremely jealous. I have dreams of a 502 cobra jet in a CJ...... *sigh*

#10 ·
If you've got exhaust fabrication skill, that's the route I'd go...I built my own headers for my SBC...I know there's readily available Jeep/SBC swap headers out there, but they're for stock/slightly modified engines...too anorexic for my use. Anything else would have required some extensive modification, so I ended up building them...well, greatly modifying an existing set, but still....I built them. :2thumbsup: Mine have 1 3/4" primaries into 3 1/2" collectors...I have yet to find those available for a SBC into a Jeep.

Keep the pics coming! :cheers:

#15 ·
you will definately need a ladder! I know my friend modified a set of long tube headers for his. I know he had to change the passenger side extensively right by the spring hanger. He then went 3" tube to a self fabricated X pipe, 44 series flowmasters and straight out the back. He only had room for the X pipe since no transfer case. He has not run it yet either but it's going to be a monster!

#24 ·
have made some small progress on the jeep. got the motor trans and tcase mounted with headers, made my spring plates and got the swaybar attached, also got the cage in the tub. slow but picking up some speed on the project.

Attachments

#28 ·
hahaha Ive seen youtube videos of BBC with stacks coming out of the hood. OMG... I drooled for 20 minutes. He pulled a chevy 1 ton truck in neutral through a 5 foot deep 40 foot long mud hole with ease LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.