My '84 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My '84 CJ7

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-10-2002, 09:20 PM   #1
martyb

My '84 CJ7

Sorry for the crappy pic. I took it tonight with the DigiCam. I'll try to get a better one tomorrow.

I just got the 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's ($132 each.. installed) put on today. They look awesome. But it's a little crowded under the fenders. I'll eventually (well probably) be going with the Rubicon Express 4" lift in the near future.

The engine is the 258 with the Mopar MPI kit. The engine is very strong, especially after the Mopar upgrade. The compression is good all around at ~145. Leaks a little oil though.. The engine hasn't been rebuilt and has over 140,000 miles.

What I really need right now is some new gears. The rear axle is the model 20 with 2.73 gears. I want to go down to 4.11/56. Or actually, what would you guys recommend? And.. where do you recommend I get them from?

Thanks
Marty

martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey that's prett nice. I'm even more impressed that you have just posted your first thread and it has a pic. Most people take weeks to figure out how to post a pic.

What lift do you have on your CJ now? Looks like it at least has a shackle lift. Body lift too?

I am in the middle of lifting and re-gearing mine now. I bought 33x12.5 ProComp MT's on new American Eagle wheels.

The springs are awaiting my axles from my friend that is doing the axle work. I'm putting a Detroit soft locker in the rear with Genuine Gear 4.56 R&P, and one piece axles. Of course, all new bearings and seals. I also discovered thet the PO let the brakes go so I needed new brake drums and linings.

The front Dana is just getting Genuine Gear R&P, bearings, U-joints, and Warn hubs.

I got the wheels, tires, and axle stuff from 4wheelparts.com
and the lift kit from 4wd.com

The lift is a 4" 4WD kit that includes springs, shocks, transf case lowering kit, drop pitman and bushings. I added a new 4WD steering stabilizer. I'll be purchasing new shackles and I've bid on some sway bar disconnects on eBay. That should just about do it for the suspension. After that I'll work on some of the cosmetic stuff like dash lights, passenger seat and belt, steering wheel, center console and interior paint.

Then I'll work on some of the "I wants" like: CB radio, fire extinguisher, hi-lift, spare tire, bumpers, winch, paint job and roll cage.

Good luck to you.

Looks like a nice CJ
Unread 08-10-2002, 11:00 PM   #3
Hippo393

Marty--sweet ride, bro. Welcome aboard to the JeepForum. These guys here will help ya with whatever.

Sounds like your concerned about the 140K miles and eventual rebuild. Have you ever done a rebuild before? Even if you haven't, don't sweat it. That oil leak is just a seal & gasket away from a fix. You'll find that while your at it, toss in a new clutch and she'll be overall better than she was new! Are you skilled in Jeep mechanics? Even if not, rebuilding your babe will cost around $1000, but you will enjoy wrenching almost as much as driving. Just plan ahead for it before you actually need it (anticipate 2 months down-time). It gives you a great chance to clean it and paint it up all spiffy, which is half the fun. I just finished my first rebuild last week and it looks awesome! So glad I took the time--for performance, looks, and epic peace of mind for the next 10 years. And, no more oil leaks.

Oh, how about some more details on your Cj, like how you got it and what you do with it? Oh yeah, more pics! Hope you enjoy it here.
-alan

Last edited by Hippo393; 08-10-2002 at 11:06 PM..
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2002, 12:38 AM   #4
martyb

I've had the Jeep since December. I got it from a guy in VA. The body was all repainted a few months before that. The lift on it right now.. is just a 1 3/8" shackle lift- NO body lift. The MPI kit was done in May. That's about all the mods I've done so far... besides some misc. stuff. The exhaust is all new after the manifold.

When the time comes for a rebuild, I doubt I'll be doing that myself. I'll take it somewhere. The Mopar conversion wasn't too bad. Me and my dad did it in a day and a half.

I haven't gotten much into off roading yet. I had horrible carb problems.. stalling at EVERY SINGLE stop. I did get to take it out on Assateague Island in MD a few weeks ago. That was cool, but not too extreme.

Also, I wanted to replace the body mount bushing. But the mounts on the body itself are just like rusted and brittle. I don't think they'll come out.. even if soaked in Aerokroil for a month. And if they did come out, I wouldn't trust them to use again. Is there an easy way to fix this? Could I just put a bolt through the body?

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Marty
ps I know a little VB code

Last edited by martyb; 08-11-2002 at 12:41 AM..
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.