My 76 CJ7 Project - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My 76 CJ7 Project

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #31
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex View Post
I wish Texas had Carl's Jr. Mmmmm. Loving the paint. Looks great!
We do have Carl's Jr! Gotta go to Austin or San Antonio. I wouldn't trade it for Whataburger though!

nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #32
KMD
1976 CJ7 

You guys are making me want a $6 burger.
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #33
jetmedix
1985 CJ7 

Nice rig!

San Antonio had Whataburger back in '97. One of the best burgers I ever had!! We have Wendy's, MC Donald's and Burger King...
jetmedix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #34
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Hey, I'm loving the color of your Cj, but can't find Krylon flat tan anywhere. I tried "Desert Tan", but it came out looking peach. I did see a flat Khaki, but it looks pretty dark, not tan. It is Krylon flat tan?
Thanks, I'm enjoying your build!
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
KMD
1976 CJ7 

yes it is Krylon ultra flat tan camouflage. It lightens up in the sun after a few months. It does go on kinda peach at first but fades pretty fast.

Last edited by KMD; 06-20-2010 at 07:07 AM..
KMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #36
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
Steering gear or transfer case? The trans is a turbo 400.

Here is some after install pics. Still need to clean up the wiring and get a new air filter. Also plan on going with all stainless braid for hoses and lines. She is running pretty good have around 250 miles on her with new engine. need to rebuild the motorcraft 2100 and re jet then off to dyno tune.

Sorry to interrupt your thread.. Just a couple quick questions... On your brake assist what did you connect the vacuum line to??? I'm going to be doing this soon and I have rear disc. I'm hoping it will work out.

And I have the AMC 360 with the Edelbrock performer intake... What did you set your timing at???

Nice Jeep by the way!!!

Last edited by Sportinwood; 06-23-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Sportinwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #37
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Brakes booster goes to that big fitting on the performer intake you see in the first picture. The one rite in front of the pulley that is laying on the motor. Timing I have been fighting with forever. Advance curve is not yet perfect. Start at 8btdc and shoot for 30 to 38 total advance. Mine likes to ping if too advanced and not running 100 octane. I do not no for sure what cam they stuck in my motor. My motor like initial advance but then wants to ping at higher rpms so I need to taper my advance of above 2500 rpm. I havent gotten to this yet and just reduce base timing a little and run octane booster or premium fuel unless I am rich at the time then I will run 100 or 110 racing fuel.

Basically you will want to start at 8btdc then shoot for highest vacumme at idle between timing and carb adjustments,then drive it and listen for pinging and stumbles etc. It can be tedius and time consuming but these motors do make really good power in a cj.

ETA I need to get some more current pics of the engine compartment lol.

Stay tuned going to run slickrock trail here in Ca. this weekend hope to get lots of pics.
then going to WY. to see yellowstone at the first of the month. Only in a Jeep......
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #38
Sportinwood
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
Brakes booster goes to that big fitting on the performer intake you see in the first picture. The one rite in front of the pulley that is laying on the motor. Timing I have been fighting with forever. Advance curve is not yet perfect. Start at 8btdc and shoot for 30 to 38 total advance. Mine likes to ping if too advanced and not running 100 octane. I do not no for sure what cam they stuck in my motor. My motor like initial advance but then wants to ping at higher rpms so I need to taper my advance of above 2500 rpm. I havent gotten to this yet and just reduce base timing a little and run octane booster or premium fuel unless I am rich at the time then I will run 100 or 110 racing fuel.

Basically you will want to start at 8btdc then shoot for highest vacumme at idle between timing and carb adjustments,then drive it and listen for pinging and stumbles etc. It can be tedius and time consuming but these motors do make really good power in a cj.

ETA I need to get some more current pics of the engine compartment lol.

Stay tuned going to run slickrock trail here in Ca. this weekend hope to get lots of pics.
then going to WY. to see yellowstone at the first of the month. Only in a Jeep......

Thanks... I do have my timing set at 8 right now Ill just fidle with the carb a little Im thinking it just needs a rebuild my primary is fluttering when I let off. I was back firing allot when I first got it the PO had the timing set at about 15 and my idle set about 4 turns out. I have it running better now just needs some fine tuning...
Sportinwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #39
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Monitor Pass,Ca 7/08/10

Unread 07-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #40
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Slick Rock Trail,Ca

Unread 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #41
Bmecj7
1978 CJ7 

great build!! Got any info/advice about the SOA lift?? i just need some input on pros/cons. what is your lift height now??
Bmecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #42
KMD
1976 CJ7 

It is going to cost at least $1200 to do a soa lift. Have some extra leaf springs for later use. Hardest part is the steering,I put on a drop pitman arm and works ok for now,no bump steer,but the turning radius sucks. I have not fully addressed the steering because I need to get a front axle with disc brakes before I spend any money there.
You will have to build or buy a traction bar to eliminate axle wrap. It is not that hard and materials are around $100 bucks. I have a local contact for parts.
Spring perches are cheap maybe$100 for all 4.
You will need a welder.
Haven't found any cons yet, flexes better than I expected.rides great all the way past 80.

If you are close I can help you out.
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #43
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Any recent updates or new projects w/ this one?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #44
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Alright, so good to know that I can leave my stearing setup alone at first... I already have a drop pitman arm. How did you know how long to make the traction bar? I suppose that doesn't really matter as long as your upper shackle is set up correctly. So when you sit still is the upper shackle at 90*? Also where did you get the shackles... what make? Also where did you get the perches? Thanks!

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #45
KMD
1976 CJ7 

sorry for the delayed response. shackles are just regular lift shackles from anywhere on line they are cheap.
I researched here and pirate a lot and i believe the front shackle is at 90 deg as was what was recommended. as far as length make it as long as you can which is tough in a cj. the spring perches I got at the local 4 wheel parts they had them in stock they where warrior brand like $25 per set.

I will be updating here pretty soon after I install the Howell fuel injection,also have a 1.5 in die ordered for my bender for flat fenders and rocker guards so stay tuned for some more pics and upgrades thanks for the interest guys and always willing to lend anyone local a hand, also anyone who wants to donate funds is more than welcome lol (fat chance)

Tags
360 , amc , cj7 , jeep , tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.