My 75 yr old Dad is now a Jeep owner... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My 75 yr old Dad is now a Jeep owner...

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

My Dad never got a ride in my jeeps. Stupid Alzheimer's disease. Not that he would remember anyway but still.

boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Jim, will do! This will probably take one of two paths:
1) He'll turn it into a new penny
Or
2) He'll sound like Si Robertson off Duck Dynasty by saying "This things a piece of junk!!!" and push it over to me or my brother-in-law.

He had been talking about buying a golf kart, but really likes the old CJs and wanted something he could take in to town (he lives in Folkston, Ga, which is basically in the Okefenokee Swamp, so "going to town" consists of a place with a couple of stop lights). If its a reliable runner, he may just tinker with minor things and leave it as is. At any rate, it will be a good excuse for me to visit and do some good bonding.

been there to watch the trains come through

great place, really enjoyed the trains and the nice little town.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post

been there to watch the trains come through

great place, really enjoyed the trains and the nice little town.
Too funny! Yep, the "Folkston Funnel". It's insane how many trains run through that joint on a daily basis. I use to jump those railroad tracks in my 69 Ford pickup "back in the day". That is until the local police had enough and threatened to lock me up if I did it again. But that was really all there was to do. That and run limb lines for catfish....
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojeep View Post
My Dad never got a ride in my jeeps. Stupid Alzheimer's disease. Not that he would remember anyway but still.
That is one cruel disease. So sorry.
Unread 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's been awhile since I've been on the site, but thought I'd update this thread with the "finished product". My poor dad ended up with a tub that was completely unsalvageable, and he farmed out the paint/body work, so he sank a bit more money into this than he'd planned (don't we all). He tossed the nasty buckets and put in low backs, and I lucked out and found him a very nice set of seat brackets out of another intermediate CJ. Those older brackets are rare as hens teeth!! The transmission was also full of water so that had to be rebuilt as well. Good news is it shines like a new penny and it now appears to be his new DD.

The one thing he does need to do is sort out the exhaust. He wanted to run the exhaust out the rear (with turnouts) like I did on mine, but he didn't call me prior to ordering new headers. He purchased fenderwell headers (vs in frame) and he and his buddy ran the pipes back from there. The result is a bunch of tubing hanging out around the midsection vs being tucked under the frame rails.

But the important thing is he's tickled to death with it, and at 76 yrs old has a Jeep.

Unread 04-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
G-FOURce

1986 CJ7 

this is the best forum thread i think i've ever read. i bought my CJ7 to be able to give to my son when he turns 16, so that gives me four years to get it where i feel okay giving it to a 16 year old. i remember how badly i wanted a CJ when i was a young man and he absolutely loves the thing. i almost sold it last weekend (someone was offering me a very pretty penny for it), but while discussing it with my son i could almost feel his heart breaking. needless to say, its in the garage and i suspect it'll be here for four more years until i hand over the keys to him.

here is a pic of my boy helping me gut the interior to get rid of all that spice stuff so we could replace it all with black...
G-FOURce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

That last photo really says it all. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit emotional after reading the thread. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #23
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

GFource-
That is awesome! You're doing the right thing. I keep getting offers for my 82 Wagoneer, but my son has "claimed" it, so he gets the keys at 16. I hope he doesn't drive it like I did my 69 Ford pickup at that age!!

Ken- thanks for the kind words. It thrills me to see him so happy with this. He was discouraged at first when we found out the entire tub was shot, but it was a fun, albeit cash hemorrhaging, journey!

Funny story about the paint. He originally wanted it a light metallic blue. He went to the paint shop to pick it up, they showed him the Jeep and he said "That's not it. Mine is blue". Turns out there was a miscommunication on the paint code, and green is what they sprayed it! He's thankful for the mistake because the green looks great.
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #24
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
...He was discouraged at first when we found out the entire tub was shot, but it was a fun, albeit cash hemorrhaging, journey..
Having to deal with that problem adds to the story and makes the final product more appealing and memorable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.