My 1982 CJ5 and introduction to the JeepForum family - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My 1982 CJ5 and introduction to the JeepForum family

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
BATMANsCJ
1982 CJ5 

My 1982 CJ5 and introduction to the JeepForum family

Hey guys... I know there are a billion posts like this, but I think it is time for me to join the club and I want to introduce myself.

So here I go... Post #1:

In 2002, I was incredibly fortunate when my Grandfather gave me a perfectly good 1995 Toyota Camry XLE. I was pumped!! My dad and I were looking at it in the driveway when he said to me "You know, my first car was an old Bronco... but my favorite car was my 1973 CJ-5." After doing some research and flipping through a JC Whitney catalog, I was hooked. That weekend, much to my mothers chagrin, the Camry (with working heat/AC, leather seats, great fuel economy, airbags, and doors) was in the classifieds and dad and I were looking at jeeps. We must have looked at 15, mostly wranglers and a few trashed 7's. I then fell in love with my CJ5. It was completely stock with about 53,000 on the odometer. Its Olympic White paint and purring 258 was all it took for me to be hooked. There were a few bad rust spots but overall it was in great shape.

Years of being at the beach and some playing took its toll on the CJ. I took my crack at some bodywork and then I paid to have the interior and exterior line-x'ed (I know a lot of you are gasping at the thought, but I really liked it and I still do. If anyone wants some of my first hand opinions on bed-liner exterior, I'd be glad to give you my thoughts). Due to my shoddy rust removal and lack of bodywork experience, I had to remove the line-x eight years later and what I found was pretty bad. I removed the tub and have come to the conclusion that I need to replace it.

Im in the process of looking for one now and well that is where I am now.

I have the body separated from the frame, very few tools, next to no mechanical experience, short on money, and absolute resolve to see this 5 brought into really great shape. I want to preserve the CJ look but make some really wise upgrades.

So...My name is Steve, and here is a photo album of my 1982 CJ-5:

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/BATMANsCJ/slideshow/

There is a wealth of knowledge in this forum and I am excited to learn from you guys. I have learned more in the last few months from reading this forum than over the years of being a CJ owner. Please feel free to offer advice. If there is anything I can ever do for you guys, just let me know!

How have I owned a CJ for 10+ years and not been on this forum???

BATMANsCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.