My 1979 CJ5 rides like a buckboard! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My 1979 CJ5 rides like a buckboard!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
bobby4361y

My 1979 CJ5 rides like a buckboard!

IT has 4 wheel leaf springs. Is that the problem? Can new shocks help, at all? Am I facing a coil spring switch out? This is a weekend play toy, not a money pit! Or is it?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

bobby4361y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

All CJ's have 4 leaf spings that is normal. Shocks will most likely not help. The spings are what gives it the ride. Do you have lift? That will also cause it. You can install YJ Leaf springs to soften the ride but that will onlu do so much. If your looking for a soft ride. A CJ is not for you. You may wan to sell it and look for TJ or JK. To swich over a CJ to coil will not be cost effective.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Strange. I've always thought my buckboard rode like my CJ7?
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

going coil over is a HUGE upgrade and is going to cost $$$$ thousands. that's if you can do the fab. if you have a pro do it well............add another$ sign.

though the ones in our clubs are awesome off road. but if cost means anything to you. much less to get better seats, suspension seats help alot.
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

From what I have picked up on this forum:

Lift springs - the more lift, the harsher the ride.

Spring quality - cheaper is not better riding. Old Man Emu or Rubicon Express are the better ones from what I have gathered.

OEM style oil filled shocks only, no gas charged shocks. The oil-filled just dampen the springs. The gas charged expand themselves when unloaded, so now you have to compress the spring AND the shock...

Tire pressures overinflated - just because the sidewall says 50PSI doesn't mean that is what you run them at. That is the pressure for the max load the tires are rated for. Search on here for tire pressure recommendations to figure out what is best for you.

Also check spring bushings, as if the shackles were overtightened then the bushings cannot flex as designed.

Hope this helps...

Oh, an afterthought - CJ5 means you have a short wheelbase. This amplifies the roughness. The longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I have seen comments where people got better seats and noticed improved comfort as regards rough riding. I am really not sure if you want the vehicle more stable or more comfortable, which is your priority?
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Remove your springs one at a time and pull the pack apart. Wire brush between the leafs and put Never Seize inbetween the springs reassemble the spring pack, then call me in the morning with the results. You should see a smoother ride.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
tdcanada
1973 CJ5 

With adding the anti-seize theory, wouldn't adding greasable shackles help also?

Cant believer he insulted a buck-board like that
tdcanada is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.