Is my 1978 CJ Blue interior considered rare? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is my 1978 CJ Blue interior considered rare?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

No problem here your loss. PLEASE think about what you say. Make sure you know what you are talking about so you don't give people the wrong information like you do alot of the time. And it wasen't about your seats it was what you were saying about Levi seats you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry all I wont say any more on this.

L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78THUMPER View Post
No problem here your loss. PLEASE think about what you say. Make sure you know what you are talking about so you don't give people the wrong information like you do alot of the time. And it wasen't about your seats it was what you were saying about Levi seats you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry all I wont say any more on this.
If you're going to make accusations like this you'd better bring the evidence. Point out exactly what I said in this thread that was wrong. For that matter, point out any other of my 1,600+ posts that gave wrong information, since you claim I do so a lot of the time. Don't have the evidence? Then kindly STFU and stop hijacking threads to start personal attacks.
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78THUMPER View Post
I totally agree with you he is wrong...Its probally because he threw his seats away lol...... Not trying to gang up but Jeeps with clean levi interior do bring more money...I have collectors over sea's that will just buy Levi jeeps.... Hold on to those seats.... Original cj's 1976-79 cj's are very collectable now... I've sold my clean levi jeeps from 15-25k all Levi interior. Keep in mind the these jeeps where super clean...
kgrhqeokkee1s-92k-bniv5qdylg-_3.jpg   dsc_0196.jpg   c-2sgsw-2k-kgrhqiokjwezkqnzjdpbne23rp-i-_3.jpg   jeep8.jpg   jeep89.jpg  

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Wrong about what? And I didn't throw my seats away, they're under my deck with a pile of other Jeep parts. I never said anything at all about throwing them away.

I said two main points: 1) Rare is relative. They made thousands of Jeeps with Levi interiors, and the fabric is all obtainable aftermarket. This does not make them rare in any sense of the term. A Tuxedo Park CJ6 is rare, a Levi's Jeep from the 70's is not. More CJ's were made in the 70's than in the previous two decades combined. Rare? No. Desirable? Possibly.
2). Rarity does not always equate to value. Just because something is not common doesn't make it more valuable. The Tuxedo Park CJ6 I mentioned above is one of the rarest Jeeps ever made, but does that make it more valuable? Not especially.

I'm not denying that some people like the Levi stuff and will pay idiotic amounts of money for it. But I also don't think it's anywhere near as rare or valuable as some of you would like to think. In the meanwhile I'll hang onto the complete blue Levi interior I've got and if you guys are even 1/2 right I'll be able to retire a millionaire.

L78 still holds a grudge because I broke the news to him that his Golden Eagle is just an appearance package without a unique VIN that can be recreated by anyone with a vinyl cutter and some gold spray paint. He thinks that's "wrong information" but I think it's more of a case of the truth hurts.
Unread 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

I'm really not trying to sound like a smartalec or instigate here, but I've been told that there are no production records of what CJ came with what option, so how can anyone be certain that there weren't that many CJ's with the Levi's interior? Unless they go to evey single CJ, check the VIN and document the interior code on the VIN tag, there is no way to know for sure.

I know of a shop here in Texas, the one that Pathkiller got the picture of those Levi's seats from, that still has Levi's seats, as well as the vinyl Levi's material to recover the seats.

Nowhere have I been able to find the original vinyl needed to do the restoration on my CJ. I've tried SMS auto fabric with no luck, as well as a couple of other shops.

If somebody is willing to pay $70 or more for a set of Levi's button's then more power to the seller, that's capitalism at its best, but I for one would like production numbers; without them, the word rare is subjective and misused.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
hold24

1978 CJ7 

There were lot of jeeps made with Levi seats. I'm not saying they were limited production... I was just kidding about throwing them away...notice lol....These seats did not hold up well. Plus most of these cj's or any cj for that matter have been trashed in the woods. Factory seats are long gone on jeep cj's and the material is not available like you said.... When you see a sets of buttons go for over $200 on ebay there is a demand.....Plus all the vehicles I've sold to collectors. At the end of the day money talks and there talking to original Levi jeeps...If your talking about Austin jeeps ....He has aftermarket material thats not original....Call him and ask how much he wants for original levi seats. If he even has anymore...last I checked it was over $800 dollars for just the fronts in used condition. Please find your facts before you post ..... AS far as production numbers there were plenty of levis produced....There rare NOW!!!!!!!! because there is hardly any original ones left.. Check ebay and take a look what original levi stuff is going for... It is supply and demand.. Tan is in demand more than blue

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold24 View Post
There were lot of jeeps made with Levi seats. I'm not saying they were limited production... I was just kidding about throwing them away...notice lol....These seats did not hold up well. Plus most of these cj's or any cj for that matter have been trashed in the woods. Factory seats are long gone on jeep cj's and the material is not available like you said.... When you see a sets of buttons go for over $200 on ebay there is a demand.....Plus all the vehicles I've sold to collectors. At the end of the day money talks and there talking to original Levi jeeps...If your talking about Austin jeeps ....He has aftermarket material thats not original....Call him and ask how much he wants for original levi seats. If he even has anymore...last I checked it was over $800 dollars for just the fronts in used condition. Please find your facts before you post ..... AS far as production numbers there were plenty of levis produced....There rare NOW!!!!!!!! because there is hardly any original ones left.. Check ebay and take a look what original levi stuff is going for... It is supply and demand.. Tan is in demand more than blue
I am talking about Austin Jeeps and have checked the facts. I spoke to him, when I had my '78 Golden Eagle, but he never said his Levi's material was aftermarket. He wanted $1150 for the front and rear seats, which I consider insane. Again, it comes down to word "rare" being subjective/relative.

Since I can't find the right vinyl I need to do my restoration, I would say that it's more rare than the Levi's material, so what that worth? Not much, in my opinion, and that's really what rare is worth....an opinion and, like you said, supply and demand. Without specific production numbers, there are no facts; all we have is an opinion as to what is rare and what isn't.

So maybe a better question for the OP is "What are my seats worth"? The answer is put it on ePay or CL, throw out a number and see if someone is willing to pay.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Pathkiller your giving out your opinion witch happens to be wrong. And your opinion happens to be wrong alot and shots down people who do have a good thing going with there jeeps weather it is a Golden Eagle, Leivi Renagade, Jamboree, or any other neet edition for a Jeep. Your own words JUST A STICKER. YOUR LEVI SEATS DON' MEAN ANYTHING. You dont care about feelings of the people you say that to or people who are learning about there Jeeps. As for me I know so when you say my Golden Eagle is nothing special luckley I know what I have even though it's not stock. But my Lorado is stock and sold for over $12000.00 because of beeing what it is. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
dsc00821.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #24
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

That's a nice Laredo, I like the color.

Are those rectangular lights on the bumper stock?

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Yes they are the Jeep was a garage find sat for 15 years. the whole Jeep is stock 65k miles
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #26
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Heres my Golden Eagle. All the money on this one went to mechanials and interior. Paint is the last thing. I'd just scrach it LOL
img_3290.jpg  
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Well I can honestly say my jeeps just an appearence package there is nothing designating mine is a special edition other then the color from the factory.....
Of course on the other hand my seats in original condition are harder to find then a sober teenager on spring break in Baha...

Trust me I have been looking for a drivers seat for about 6 years and I have had only one lead and that came from JF(I just want to find another one to match because I think they look cool)..
But we also dont even know how many jeeps were produced with the same appearence package either...

But as a note and i am not meaning to offend but, with how rare the CJs are becoming(remember they havent been produced for 25 years now), most any CJ redone tastefully with quality work will fetch a really good price no matter if it has a screaming chicken on the hood, or a little gold plaque on the dash. I have plenty of people stop and offer me good money for my CJ when I am out working on it and most of them dont even know what a Jamboree edition is, they just think it looks good and you never see them on the road anymore...
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #28
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Bottom line anything original that is 30 years plus is a rare find...thats what makes them worth something. plus a jeep that has aditional options makes them more desirable as well.....real or not. I bet if somebody installed levi stickers and nice levi seats in there jeep. it would almost bring double. Then compared to aftermarket or base trim..... AS well as 1980-86 cjs that are wearing there original interior....

Unread 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

I agree but give the guys props when they have something extra neet not oh just a sticker
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

L78, your obstinance is blinding you to the truth. The point is that none of the Jeeps you mentioned have any special VIN designation which identifies them as a special edition. In other words, I could take any old plain Jane base model CJ and turn it into a "Laredo" (and I would even spell it correctly) or Golden Eagle or whatever I want it to be and there's no way to verify that it's a clone.

If I'm a buyer interested in a $12,000 "special edition" Jeep, I'm going to ask you two questions:
1) Show me its provenance. Show me some paperwork that verifies it's really a Laredo. Provenance. The only paperwork I'm aware of that would do this is the original sales invoice from when it was purchased new. If you don't have that you're just blowing smoke. Every piece of equipment on a Laredo could be ordered separately from the dealer. The only unique thing about a Laredo was its vinyl stickers. I own a Scrambler Laredo, which is one of the rarest Jeeps ever made, so yes, I know something about them.
2). Prove that the vehicle in question is special. Show me production numbers to prove that a Laredo is somehow more special than any other Jeep CJ model. Do you have such production information? Nope? Didn't think so.

Do you think people can get away with selling a clone LS6 Chevelle or 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda with the wrong VIN and no provenance? No way.

I'm not spewing my personal opinion, I'm telling you what any car collector would ask. You, on the other hand, seem to have plenty of opinions that have no basis in reality. You claim your Golden Eagle is worth a fortune because of its stickers. Prove it. Prove that I can't take any base model CJ7 and turn it into a Golden Eagle clone and sell it for just as much as one that left the factory as a Golden Eagle. Could you tell the difference between a clone and the real thing? How? What are the unique identifiers you would use?

The only Jeep model you mentioned that is uniquely identifiable is the Jamboree, which had a numbered dash plaque with its limited production number. The Tuxedo Park CJ's were also identifiable by a unique serial number and hundred of unique parts which have been identified by serious collectors. Early Renegades were also verifiable by unique paint codes, and a unique wiring harness.

If you can offer any evidence other than your own belligerence that anything I have just said is wrong, I will gladly admit it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.