My 1978 CJ-5 has start-up problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > My 1978 CJ-5 has start-up problems?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 1978 CJ-5 has start-up problems?

I have a 1978 Jeep CJ-5 with a 304 V-8. The engine has had most of the service items (plugs, wires, coil, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc.) recently replaced by the previous owner.

To start the Jeep you have to take the air cleaner off and put either starter fluid or gasoline down the stock motor-craft carburator to get it to start. It will run for a few seconds then stall out. When you start the Jeep you can't touch the gas pedal or it will stall. After priming the carb with gas about ten times or so it will finally begin to idle and then the gas pedal can be depressed to rev the engine. I am trying to figure out what needs to be done to the carburator so the engine will not have to be primed before starting each time. I do not know how to rebuild it and was wondering if buying a new carburator will likely cure this problem?

RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
barlow
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGGE View Post
I have a 1978 Jeep CJ-5 with a 304 V-8. The engine has had most of the service items (plugs, wires, coil, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc.) recently replaced by the previous owner.

To start the Jeep you have to take the air cleaner off and put either starter fluid or gasoline down the stock motor-craft carburator to get it to start. It will run for a few seconds then stall out. When you start the Jeep you can't touch the gas pedal or it will stall. After priming the carb with gas about ten times or so it will finally begin to idle and then the gas pedal can be depressed to rev the engine. I am trying to figure out what needs to be done to the carburator so the engine will not have to be primed before starting each time. I do not know how to rebuild it and was wondering if buying a new carburator will likely cure this problem?
Hey man, sounds like there could be a problem with the choke. It is clearly not getting enough fuel initially. Also, If your rig has sat for a bit, sludge can develope pretty quickly. Carbs are not that complicated and there are a few good sources online (carburator doctor) to find schematics and part breakdowns. I have founds 9 out 10, something just got clogged in the jetting or a sticking part. Carb kits are inexpensive and cleaner is just a few bucks. If you are going to tear it out anyway, try to rebuild it first! Good luck.
barlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.