mvigo's '85 CJ7 resto/build saga - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mvigo's '85 CJ7 resto/build saga

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

"rather than using a bolt that could fall out and get lost when the nut is removed."

No, that's why the first 2 or 3 nuts go on. They serve 2 purposes, to keep the bolt in place with or without the jack mounted; and to put some space between the jack bar and the horiz. tubing so the rubber handle keeper fits. The lockwasher keeps the wingnut tight and the wingnut is so you don't need to dig out a wrench.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

mvigo-what is the tab for that is runnig up @ a 45 deg. angle behind the round mounting plate? Did you add it or did Warn?
THX Doug
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
"rather than using a bolt that could fall out and get lost when the nut is removed."

No, that's why the first 2 or 3 nuts go on. They serve 2 purposes, to keep the bolt in place with or without the jack mounted; and to put some space between the jack bar and the horiz. tubing so the rubber handle keeper fits. The lockwasher keeps the wingnut tight and the wingnut is so you don't need to dig out a wrench.
Ahh, of course, you explained that first time around...the clean look thing then...
takirc02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Grinding the welds flat isn't something you have to do but it sure makes it look more finished.
Jim, besides the finished look I was also interested in how good my welds are in terms of penetration and defects. They looked pretty good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirc02 View Post
Mvigo, I think I just get you. Pretty sure his idea with the threaded rod is nearly identical to renegade's idea with bolts and washers...he just plans on welding in the rod (on both top and bottom of the mount bar) so it extends vertically rather than using a bolt that could fall out and get lost when the nut is removed. Additional benefit of this plan could be a nice clean look, no bolt head and washer on the bottom side of the mount. My hijack bumper mount uses the same concept, but they are lug studs that were pressed in rather than welded.
EXACTLY! I will still use washers, lock washers, wing nuts etc...I am trying to find a 1/2' 13 course pre fabbed knob that could be used instead of wing nuts but the biggest I have been able to find thus far has been 3/8". And, my jack handle isolator from Daystar works perfectly as a rubber bushing so I plan on buying one more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOISERUNNER View Post
mvigo-what is the tab for that is runnig up @ a 45 deg. angle behind the round mounting plate? Did you add it or did Warn?
THX Doug
it came that way from Warn...it is meant to hit the rubber stop on the tailgate...

Didn't get any work done today, too busy with bees. I have the rest of the parts needed to complete this little project and I am hoping to finish up tomorrow.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #35
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I was able to finish up the fab part of the tire carrier. I cut down my threaded rod to 4 1/4" length, dropped it in the 1/2" hole I drilled, welded it on the inside of the square tubing as well as the top of the horizontal bar and I believe it is going nowhere. The picture shows the Hi Lift jack mounted to the tire carrier. I also drilled the holes I will need to attach the Quick Fist clamps for the shovel. I roughed the surface up with red scotch brite and applied a coat of primer sealer. I elected not to use an etch primer because I didn't want to ruin any of the powder coat finish with over spray. When I get to a complete frame off down the road, everything will get a new coat of finish anyway. For now, this should suffice. Paint and finish is all brand new to me and I figure this is an easy item to experiment with. I have read plenty of threads and watched videos but nothing compares to just doing it. Feel free to critique away, I have thick skin and that is one facet of why I started this thread to begin with, learning from you all. I also welded in a hook that will be used for my onion sack/trash bag when on the trail.

image-1543095764.jpg
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike did you cap the ends of the horizontal tube? Great work my friend.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Mike did you cap the ends of the horizontal tube? Great work my friend.
Great question...and the answer is no for now. Warn caps there ends with rubber/plastic grommets and that is what I am on the hunt for. If I can't find them then I will weld in some caps. I am hoping I will find them because that hollow, horizontal bar makes for some good storage of long, skinny "stuff" we all tend to carry around.
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Nice work... that turned out great! Mcmaster.com has some plastic end caps up to 4x4. http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-caps/=h3dh9s What size square tubing is that?
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Nice work... that turned out great! Mcmaster.com has some plastic end caps up to 4x4. http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-on-caps/=h3dh9s What size square tubing is that?
2"x2"...thanks for the link
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike... this is awesome! In on this. Something to share with Bill...
mvigo_1.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #41
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Scott...

that was a fun day and we will be running the 3rd Annual this Summer. Last summer we had 6 families make the trek down into Rubicon Springs for a picnic/swim. It was great watching Bill break his Jeep so that he could just upgrade/improve it...
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #42
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It was great times!!! I really want to go again, but I might not make it this year. We have tentative plans to go to Hawaii, but with airline prices through the roof, that may not happen!!! Shoot, I may not even be done with my Jeep by then anyway... too much work, broken wife (Knee surgery), busy kids... Don't they know how important Jeeps are?!?!?!?

Scott... at least it has round lights, right???

Mike, I like the addition to the tire carrier!!! That will come in handy!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
It was great times!!! I really want to go again, but I might not make it this year. We have tentative plans to go to Hawaii, but with airline prices through the roof, that may not happen!!! Shoot, I may not even be done with my Jeep by then anyway... too much work, broken wife (Knee surgery), busy kids... Don't they know how important Jeeps are?!?!?!?

Scott... at least it has round lights, right???

Mike, I like the addition to the tire carrier!!! That will come in handy!!!
It was hard to choose the winner, Bill! Of course, you KNOW, I had to go with the CJ. After all, it is Mike's thread!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #44
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

one reason why I can't get to all of the CJ upgrades I need to complete, namely finish painting the tire carrier...too busy installing honeybees in client's backyards...

a photo of an installed hive in a client's garden...

Unread 04-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #45
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

California bees have solariums?? I think it is a good thing to be too busy at work these days. Congrats, Mike. I hope the bee venture is very succesful. You doing anything bigger than personal bees? Commercial stuff too? You gonna spin the honey? What about Nitadoulas (sp)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.