Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

mvigo's '85 CJ7 resto/build saga

57K views 420 replies 34 participants last post by  mvigo 
#1 ·
Very slowly, and I mean S-L-O-W-L-Y, am I starting to document upgrades/repairs and, eventually, maybe 1 day, a full frame off. All of the upgrades/repairs will be done with the idea that if/when I get to the frame off, the upgrades/repairs make the frame off restoration more efficient.

My hope is that you the reader might help ME correct any mistakes I might make as I discuss any upgrades/repairs and/or my thought process helps YOU with a decision or thought process that you are having a tough time with.

JeepForum has been a fantastic resource for me since I joined and I have many of you to thank; whether you know it or not (Jim1611, Ken4444, 243, Coiz, JeepHammer, Exposed, MoC, ASteve, Skerr, SonicR1, Keith460, boomvader, Mike Romain, John Strenk, cshutchinson, FatMan to name a few). A couple of you I have met, a handful of you I converse with via phone/email, a few I have bought/sold/traded parts from/to/with and a whole bunch of you I admire from afar for the skills you have. As creepy as this sounds I may not have met or talked to you but I feel like I know you. The internet will be big one day, trust me!

A quick history. In 1997, I bought a 1985 CJ7 from the 2nd owner...bone stock, a hardtop that had never been off, a few goodies (winch, CB radio, tow bar) and only 32k original miles. She was originally sold off the lot in Billings, MT and I bought her from my Uncle's hunting pal in Truckee, CA. I searched for 3 years before I found her and it was worth the wait. She came with the I-6, T-5, Dana 300, AMC 20, Dana 30, 3.08 gears with 31" Bridgestone Mud Duellers. I drove it that way for 6 years until I had finally made up my mind what exactly I wanted out of her. Here is a picture after I first brought her home:

Attachments

See less See more
#415 ·
Been awhile since I last posted...

went into Rubicon Springs last week for our annual day trip to picnic/swim, this time, my daughter drove! Our annual trip had 11 jeeps and 43 people, I walked most of the way while my daughter drove. We even had SonicR1 make it this time. A great day was had by all until one of my pal's built up LJ with an LS, one tons and hydro assist caught on fire because his starter failed to stop running. That was a bummer. We were also followed up Cadillac hill by the team of engineers from Ford testing out 3 stock pre production Broncos. Of course they were comparing it to a stock 4 door JLU they had running with it.

I used to be able to post short videos in here, can't now!?? and, I have no idea how to correct the sideways and upside down pics, they are correct in my photo file. Any help there would be appreciated.

Other than that, I have been enjoying my CJ7 over the last couple of years along with my TJ Rubicon I built up a couple of years ago. Hope all is well out there...

Attachments

#417 ·
how'd you do that Jim?

#421 · (Edited)
Been awhile since I have posted but my CJ is still going strong. The only upgrades I have needed in the last couple of years has been the hydraulic clutch linkage I installed just a week or so ago. Wish I did it a lot sooner! Easy peasy, and bought the kit from Parts Mike. Buttery smooth clutch action. I also replaced my heavy, roller fairlead with a beautiful aluminum Hawse fairlead from Black Magic Brakes.

I just got back from my annual Rubicon Springs run we have been doing for 14 years now. Smaller group but fun nonetheless...

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle
Sky Cloud Tire Plant Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.