mvigo's '85 CJ7 resto/build saga - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mvigo's '85 CJ7 resto/build saga

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #151
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
What does the state of California have to say about the purchase, installation, and use of a new muffler with regard to the emission control laws?
Great question and here is my answer: As near as I can tell, it is not the muffler that California cares about, it is the Catalytic Converter. In fact, if you look up just about any catalytic converter out there the manufacturer typically offers 2 versions; the 1st one is legal in 49 states and the 2nd version is legal for the other state. Guess what that "other" state happens to be...

It also appears that more and more states are beginning to adopt California's emission standards. I found this FAQ's on RockAuto's site:

http://www.rockauto.com/info/emissionsExp.html

What is really frustrating is bullet point #7...I would love to know that reasoning...

If you look at this website you will notice that the cost of a catalytic converter approved by California is double the cost of the Federal approved converters:

https://www.catalyticconvertersonlin...FSmCQgodh0YAzA

so I got that going for me, which is nice!

At the end of the day I will be able to pass smog (I have never had an issue since going to fuel injection) but living in this state is dang expensive in many ways...but, hey the weather can't be beat!

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #152
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Mike,

I have to say I'm loving my CJ and living in Nor Cal. 1972 and I'm smog exempt... Man I hope that never changes...

Anyways, we really need to hook up sometime. Please give me a shout if you are ever around the Los Gatos Area...

Good luck on the mufflers. I'm in the same boat. I just bought a pair of Doug's headers and now need mufflers and some sort of hangers to complete the job. Love to hear (no pun intended) what you find out on the quiet (Made in USA) mufflers. I would love to have a set for deer hunting and a more aggressive set for street.

SC
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #153
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Mike the CA emissions work is its all about money and not the environment. Any aftermarket item has to be approve by the California Air Resources Board. So this requires testing which makes money for the state then there is the licensing and so on.

Thats why the Howell Fuel Kit is approved even though there are better kits out there. Howell paid boat loads of money to getIts all about money for CA.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #154
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Thats why the Howell Fuel Kit is approved even though there are better kits out there. Howell paid boat loads of money to get it approved. Most of the smaller vendors will not go through the hassel of dealing with CA.Its all about money for CA.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #155
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I installed a stock OEM style muffler today that is manufactured by AP Exhaust Technologies made here in the U.S.A. (North Carolina). The muffler felt a little heavier then the previous one so I hope that means more stout and I added a gusset at the neckline to hopefully minimize the stress that is placed on that joint.

My tie rod has 2 crescent shaped grooves in it (about 1/4-1-3rd into rod) from rubbing against my steering stabilizer bracket so I also ordered the HD tie rod/drag link flip kit from http://ok4wd.com/ in NJ (I think I am going to try ditching my steering stabilizer as well).

Jim Oosteyk is the owner of OK4wd and he and I talked about CJ's for a couple of hours. He really is knowledgeable, patient and is genuinely interested in your experience with the products you purchase from him. OK4wd.com will be my 1st stop when it comes to buying parts for my CJ and I HIGHLY recommend you at least speak to them before you purchase elsewhere.
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #156
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I installed a stock OEM style muffler today that is manufactured by AP Exhaust Technologies made here in the U.S.A. (North Carolina). The muffler felt a little heavier then the previous one so I hope that means more stout and I added a gusset at the neckline to hopefully minimize the stress that is placed on that joint.

My tie rod has 2 crescent shaped grooves in it (about 1/4-1-3rd into rod) from rubbing against my steering stabilizer bracket so I also ordered the HD tie rod/drag link flip kit from http://ok4wd.com/ in NJ (I think I am going to try ditching my steering stabilizer as well).

Jim Oosteyk is the owner of OK4wd and he and I talked about CJ's for a couple of hours. He really is knowledgeable, patient and is genuinely interested in your experience with the products you purchase from him. OK4wd.com will be my 1st stop when it comes to buying parts for my CJ and I HIGHLY recommend you at least speak to them before you purchase elsewhere.
Thanks for the tip on OK4wd... and do a write-up on the flip. Please.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #157
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When are you going to do the flip? I'd love to run over and watch or help…

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #158
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
When are you going to do the flip? I'd love to run over and watch or help…
PM sent...
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #159
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I removed my steering stabilizer today to see if I would notice it missing. So far, I would say NO, I don't notice a difference. Only drove a few miles today so I will give it a couple of weeks. Matt1981CJ7 commented in his thread that if Jeep engineers designed the stabilizer in then he would keep it. I generally wholeheartedly agree with that statement but as I researched the stabilizer some more I think I have found that it was an option and not a standard item when buying a CJ new. If that truly is the case then I may not miss the stabilzer at all and I won't have to worry about that bracket rubbing "C grooves" into my tie rod anymore. If anyone out there knows more definitively please let me know.

After removing the stabilizer I studied the front end one last time and finally determined that if I were to flip both my drag link and my tie rod, the pitman arm would hit the tie rod, especially with the new, beefier tie rod and drag link I ordered so I am just going to flip the drag link to return it closer to the factory in relation to the tie rod itself. Many of you have done just that and reported excellent results. Kinda bummed because I was looking forward to gaining some clearance and getting the tie rod up out of harms way. At least the beefier tie rod at 1 1/4" dia. will be a substantially stouter additon then the stock 7/8" dia. tie rod and be able to withstand any rocks I accidently bump into. For me to flip both, I would have to move my steering gearbox 1" further and that is more then I want to bite off and chew at the moment. Posing another question to those of you who have flipped both the tie rod and the drag link: did you have to move your steering box forward 1" to accomplish this? Chime in, I am curious.

If you remember back in the beginning of this thread I modified my tire carrier to mount a Hi-Lift Jack but my design flaw eliminated me from opening the back hatch to gain access to the backseat even if I took the jack off the tire carrier. It didn't bother me too much until now, so, after studying that flaw for a few more minutes I have come up with a solution that I will knock out and post pics to next week. Sometimes it takes me a few beers and what seems like hours to come up with such an easy fix too. Eventually I get there...

Have you seen what Jim1611 has done in his thread over the last few days? Talk about a master fabricator...cheeseandrice is he good!
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #160
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

mvigo,

Just to be clear, my comment about AMC engineers was relating to the steering stabilizer bar, not the steering damper. Although, I think it applies to both parts.

Did you take the bar or the damper off? As far as I know, both stabilizer bar and steering damper were standard equipment on '80s CJs. The damper prevents the steering from shimmying over a bump, and the stabilizer bar helps with body roll in corners.

Again, I don't profess to be smarter than the AMC engineers, so I still believe both components are necessary to make our CJs as safe as possible on the road.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #161
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
mvigo,

Just to be clear, my comment about AMC engineers was relating to the steering stabilizer bar, not the steering damper. Although, I think it applies to both parts.

Did you take the bar or the damper off? As far as I know, both stabilizer bar and steering damper were standard equipment on '80s CJs. The damper prevents the steering from shimmying over a bump, and the stabilizer bar helps with body roll in corners.

Again, I don't profess to be smarter than the AMC engineers, so I still believe both components are necessary to make our CJs as safe as possible on the road.

Matt
I am just talking about the steering damper/stabililzer which is what I removed yesterday. The sway bar/stabilizer bar is a must as a daily driver as far as I am concerned and I do have quick disconnects when I am offroad, which helps a ton.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #162
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I am just talking about the steering damper/stabililzer which is what I removed yesterday..
I have driven without a steering damper/stabilizer for several days on a couple of different occasions and the difference I notice is that the steering is a bit quicker and slightly faster to respond. The drawback is that it takes some time to get use to the quicker response.

For what it's worth, my steering geometery is in good shape (stock-length shackles, dropped pitman arm) and it's only riding on 31" tires.
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #163
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
I am just talking about the steering damper/stabililzer which is what I removed yesterday. The sway bar/stabilizer bar is a must as a daily driver as far as I am concerned and I do have quick disconnects when I am offroad, which helps a ton.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Mike,

I took mine off last year and have noticed NO difference at all.

SC
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #164
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I had time to complete my "fix" on my tire carrier so I can now open the rear window. I cut the square tubing at an angle that matches the rear window:

here is a shot of the "face" of the cut:

my patch pieces:

tack welded on first before completing the welding:

ground down and ready for primer:

I had time to prime, but not paint as the weather turned on me. I can at least open the rear window now (although I still have to take the Hi-Lift jack off to do so) and I feel better about my modification of the Warn tire carrier to hold the jack.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #165
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Kinda up late aint you Mike? You sure did a nice job of using scrap material to make the cap, two pieces. Or maybe that's as wide as you had. Anyway glad to see the fix you made. Welder is a handy thing to have around.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.