mufflers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mufflers

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-28-2002, 04:37 PM   #1
CJ Lover

mufflers

I have an 85 CJ-7 that I swapped a 350 into. I am currently running wide open Hooker super competion headers. One of them finally rusted through and I am looking to get the fenderwell Heddmen HTC headers and the mufflers that come with them from 4wd Hardware. I was wondering how loud these mufflers are. I want something that sounds GOOD. I realize it wont sound as good as wide open headers, but that's what mufflers are for. Thanks

Unread 05-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #2
Hank

Tell you what. Get three-chambered Borla mufflers. It will give you a very deep mellow powerful tone.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:13 PM   #3
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Hank:
<strong>Tell you what. Get three-chambered Borla mufflers.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think Borla makes a chambered muffler. You must be thinking of Flowmaster. All Borla mufflers are packed with a stainless steel mesh.

Both will give good tone, the Borla sounding a little more muffled but heavier than the Flowmaster.
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:19 PM   #4
Hank

Are you 100% sure? I know a major gear head whose car has what he is sure of are 3-chambered Borlas. Where'd did you hear your info.? Not saying you're wrong or anything, but I'm just curious.
Unread 05-29-2002, 05:20 PM   #5
Hank

Also, how would they measure the tone differences with mesh such as single chambered mufflers being quite loud and 3 chambered ones being mellow and deep.
Unread 06-02-2002, 08:55 PM   #6
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Hank:
<strong>Are you 100% sure? I know a major gear head whose car has what he is sure of are 3-chambered Borlas. Where'd did you hear your info.? Not saying you're wrong or anything, but I'm just curious.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been into hi-po cars for quite a while. Never had I ever heard of Borla making a chambered style muffler like the Flowmasters. I've double checked Borla's website and a couple of other auto enthusiast buddies of mine. Neither the website or my budies indicated of any chambers in a Borla. They may be in the muffler, however, Borla does not use them as the main source of muffling ability.

The case size of the muffler, the diameter of the inner tubes, whether the muffler is straight through or a triple pass design as well as the density of the packing will all have an overall effect on the tone. Generally larger case mufflers are lower toned (quieter), larger dameter tubes are louder, denser packe mufflers are quieter as are triple pass designs.
Unread 06-03-2002, 04:20 PM   #7
Hank

Ok, that makes a bit more sense. Maybe he was just generally thinking 3-chambers=quieter more muffled sound.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.