muffler distance from body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > muffler distance from body

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
meater
1981 CJ8 

muffler distance from body

Just had a new exhaust installed on my Scrambler. No carpet. Lined with Raptor on the inside and under.

The person who installed it, put the muffler as close to the floor as he could... it's so hot that I saw water literally hit it and steam right off.

He lowered it to make it flush with the frame and put a heat dampener around it, but it's still pretty hot.

How far away are your mufflers from the body and do you have insane heat coming off of them?

thanks!

meater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Good Ol JF will not let me upload a 640 kb photo

But here's a link to a photo that shows the distance I have with no hot floor problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/da...l#post15241248

Hope this helps.

SC
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
meater
1981 CJ8 

thanks! it looks like you're running pretty close to the body. can't figure out why mine is so hot.
meater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

when I bought my CJ7 the PO had a Flow Master on it. the muffler was no closer than 3 or 4 inches from the floor. That thing got the floor so hot you could fry eggs on it. I removed it and had a Magna Flow installed with no other changes. The problem was solved now my floor above the muffler is not any hotter than the rest of the floor.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meater View Post
thanks! it looks like you're running pretty close to the body. can't figure out why mine is so hot.
Hey Meater,

You got me thinking...So, after I drove the jeep around I lifted up my carpet to check the floor for temp and I forgot I put carpet insulation down. I lifted that up and Wow! My floor was baking hot.

I think I'm going to go back to turbo style mufflers...

SC
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Install an aluminum heat shield between exhaust and tub. You can mount it directly to the hat sections, but it will work better and collect less debris with a little stand-off if you have the clearence. I just used 1/16" 5052 aluminum and rolled the edges a little for some rigidity.

As for the cross over pipe, I ran one on my 3B for 20 something years and they do mellow the exhaust somewhat. I used 2 1/4" pipe with a downward canted "nipple" welded into the header collector immediatly in front of the flange and routed the removable U shaped cross over pipe in front of the cross member and above the skid plate. It made greasing the front drive shaft a pain in the butt and was not re-installed when I replaced the headers (Hookers). Worthwhile? Probably not.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.