Mud Bogging Illegal In BC. Serious? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mud Bogging Illegal In BC. Serious?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Mud Bogging Illegal In BC. Serious?

Hey guys,
I've been on the forum for a while, just built my '79 CJ7. Took it off roading today, had a blast, hit some mud created by the first snow of the season melting, found some real neat trails, and showed up a friend in a Cherokee, until he had to pull my butt up a ridge when I lost grip in the snow. A brake line wiggled loose, my steering shaft wore a hole into it, and I had to ride out of the mountain with no brakes. But hey, if you don't break something, you aren't wheeling hard enough, right? Anyway, onto my topic.

I have another friend who went mudding today at a separate location with a few more friends. Turns out they collected over 3500 dollars in fines for "destroying the environment". You gotta be kidding me. I looked up the laws on mudding for BC, Canada, and apparently mud bogging on crown land is punishable by up to 100,000 dollars in fines, and/or 1 year imprisonment. What is more astonishing is how many people agree with this! Obviously, if you decide to drive through a lake, or a pond, you are doing some harm, but how in the bloody h*** is running your vehicle through some roadside mud hurting anything? And moreover, how do you distinguish mud bogging from puddles on a trail, of which trail riding is perfectly legal? I respect the law and the officers who enforce it, but if one of them tried to dish me out a fine for running through some mud, I would go ballistic. As well as I would if I ever found a "do gooder" who reported this "evil attempt on destruction of delicate wilderness environment". Honestly, some people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them. Anyway, here's the link that set me off. http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=39116

Any how, just had to rant and let off some steam. Anyone here face similar laws in their areas? If so, how do you get around them? Any loopholes? For those of you who know the area, my group went up to Beaver lake, in Oyama, near kelowna. My other group of friends received their fines up in Postill area. So for those around here, be aware, if you have a bit of mud on your vehicle, you have broken the law. I understand where they are coming from environment wise, but man alive, is it a bummer for people who want to enjoy a little mud on the side of the road.

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Sooo, Did you buddies miss the signs going into the old postil mud pits that tell them to "keep out" or they will be fined, can they not read, or were they too drunk?

Screwing around in mud ON a trail that you are allowed to be on, no problem. It's called trail mud for a reason. Tearing through a alpine glassland, cutting trees down and leaking oil all over the place to go "boggin", problem. It's pretty simple. There's plenty of other beautiful places and things to see in the Okanagan off road then the postil mud pits. Personally, I think they should of left the pits open to the public seeing as the swamps were already destroyed at that point. put up a gate and charge $5 a truck. easy government money. But they decided to charge everyone and shut it down. "muddin"'s Not my thing, but they had a place established. We have an angry public already, and they have a very poor outlook on us as is. Don't make it any worse and get us all kicked out of the woods

And tell you buddies "that's not mud, it's 25 years of cow crap".
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My simple rule is, if you wouldn't do it on your own property, don't do it on others.

4-wheeling is incredibly destructive to the environment. Around here, it takes about two trips over an area to create a visible trail, and about 10 years for it to go away.

Erosion, destruction of plant-life, disruption of native wildlife, water contamination, are all consequences of 4-wheeling in inappropriate areas, just to name a few. I hope your buddies learned a lessen, and I hope you do to.

Have a great day,

Matt ( a Prius driving granola crunching hippie do-gooder )
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSInc View Post
Sooo, Did you buddies miss the signs going into the old postil mud pits that tell them to "keep out" or they will be fined, can they not read, or were they too drunk?

Screwing around in mud ON a trail that you are allowed to be on, no problem. It's called trail mud for a reason. Tearing through a alpine glassland, cutting trees down and leaking oil all over the place to go "boggin", problem. It's pretty simple. There's plenty of other beautiful places and things to see in the Okanagan off road then the postil mud pits. Personally, I think they should of left the pits open to the public seeing as the swamps were already destroyed at that point. put up a gate and charge $5 a truck. easy government money. But they decided to charge everyone and shut it down. "muddin"'s Not my thing, but they had a place established. We have an angry public already, and they have a very poor outlook on us as is. Don't make it any worse and get us all kicked out of the woods

And tell you buddies "that's not mud, it's 25 years of cow crap".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
My simple rule is, if you wouldn't do it on your own property, don't do it on others.

4-wheeling is incredibly destructive to the environment. Around here, it takes about two trips over an area to create a visible trail, and about 10 years for it to go away.

Erosion, destruction of plant-life, disruption of native wildlife, water contamination, are all consequences of 4-wheeling in inappropriate areas, just to name a few. I hope your buddies learned a lessen, and I hope you do to.

Have a great day,

x2 & x2

Unread 11-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

All right, fair enough. Sorry for puttin' down the prius. Little upset. But they didn't quite make it to the bogs in postill, they were pulled over on the main road, with mud on their vehicles, whether it be from that day or before, and were assumed to have been mud bogging. That's a hefty fine for attempting to get to a destroyed area like postill anyway. I fully understand that 4x4 vehicles should not be able to go just anywhere, and trails should be stuck to. I'm more of a trial rider myself. I just don't understand why running through a big flat of mud on the side of a forestry road is so terrible.

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
And my apologies, Matt1981CJ7, it was not my intention to insult anyone here on the forum.

Unread 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid1995 View Post
I'm more of a trial rider myself. I just don't understand why running through a big flat of mud on the side of a forestry road is so terrible.
Because if people do this, that "trail" becomes the equivalent of an 8 lane freeway. Our "footprint" hurts the forest soil. We compact it. One or two Jeeps don't hurt so much, but trails don't carry one or two Jeeps. Make the trail mud, and you don't help at all. You're not going to get much support/pity from here. Get enough people doing this and they close off the forest. If you want to "mud", go to a designated spot. We have areas completely closed off to motor vehicles because of this. It was irresponsible behavior.

Frankly, I hope dad doesn't pay the ticket.
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You didn't offend me at all. I'm actually about as far from a "Prius driving granola crunching hippie do-gooder" as you can get. Hence, the sarcasm smiley thing.

I think you missed the point. I don't know what these mud pits are all about in your area, But, around here, I know that mud is soil, which in-turn grows plant-life, which in-turn produces food and shelter for wildlife, and people. Now, assuming your mud is the same as ours, let's say one of your buddies blew a hose and dumped poisonous coolant everywhere, or oil, or trans fluid, do you think that's a good thing?

If it's a forested area, I assume there are some kind of efforts being made to reclaim it. I doubt mud-bogging would help those efforts.

Matt
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It's really pretty simple.. wheel only on legal trails. Stay on the trails. Adhere to "Tread Lightly" philosophy and all should be good.

Personally, I loathe mud. I used to enjoy "mudding" about 20yrs ago. Anymore, it just means alot of "post wheeling cleanup".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Well, I guess I was being irrational a little bit here. Most of my day was trail riding. The mud pit we did find was part puddle, part mud. In the summer, it is dry ground, covered in sand, where dirtbikers go to take jumps. I am just having a hard time envisioning a few passes through it would do any damage. And in fairness to my other group of friends, Postill is totally destroyed. There is mud flats, and then a "lake", devoid of any life for some time. Whether the lake was alive at one point and destroyed bu mudders, or it has always been dead, I don't know. It is marked off, though, and the road in blocked.

Unread 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
"post wheeling cleanup".
x2. I like having a clean jeep, and mud just messes that up and makes things harder to fix.

I went through a clutch and transmission replacement the past month, and I was swearing at every PO my CJ's ever had - soooo much mud and oil and crap it made removal and installation a complete fracking mess.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
x2. I like having a clean jeep, and mud just messes that up and makes things harder to fix.

I went through a clutch and transmission replacement the past month, and I was swearing at every PO my CJ's ever had - soooo much mud and oil and crap it made removal and installation a complete fracking mess.
x3. I've never understood the appeal of mudding. I go out of my way to avoid it.

If I'm feeling froggy, and need to spin my tires, I'll hit a snowy parking lot. It's a lot easier clean up.

Matt
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
1983 CJ7 

Jeepkid may have started off on the wrong foot but recovered well.

My opininon is this country belongs to everyone, but the evironmentalist movement prevents far more access than needed.

I own an atv but it finds almost no use do to the availability of public access land I can use it.
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
davegt
1983 CJ5 

What gets me about some of those laws is that ok For people to drive ATVs and side x sides on the trails but not ok for a Jeep?? A lot of these machines are the same size as my Jeep..
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

davegt's jeep:

walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.