MSD, smoked! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MSD, smoked!

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
RWise
1981 CJ5 

MSD, smoked!

I have ran the MSD 6a for many years, with out problems until know. I had not started the CJ in a few days and it had been raining. Started right up just like always, let it run to oil up things and charge the battery,, then it just died like turning it off,, pop the hood and smoke is coming from the MSD module, must have drawn moisture inside from the rains -IDK-. Stumbling around on the internet I am finding bad reviews on MSD 6 series ignitions starting in 2011 when they (MSD factory) were sold. Things like "it did not work out of the box" "the triger wires are backward in the unit" "unit will not fire with low cranking rpm" etc and so on and lacking tech support,,, higher charges for repairs,,,,.

Has anyone here experianced any of this?
I would be looking at upgrading to a 6al digital unit, but if this is the way they wish to go then I will go another route!

Has anyone had a local repair done? (with success) There are some sharpe folks around.

RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Sad that this seems to be the common route for companies these days…
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Racers, we would like to set the record straight on a few of these ‘built off-shore’ claims. This is one of those subjects that could go on and on, but we’ll try to keep it short and sweet and to the point.

MSD was developed and born in El Paso 40 years ago. We have grown to encompass over 150,000 square feet of space to design, test, manufacture, and support our components. We have engine dynos, chassis dynos, CNC equipment, an EDM machine to cut molds, wave solder machines, surface mount pick and place equipment, and more tools and capabilities to aid us in MANUFACTURING the best ignition components available. We are comprised of just under 300 employees – with the average seniority of 12 years! No other manufacturer can even come close to that kind of commitment from its employees.

Every 7-Series, 8-Series, Pro Mag and most 6-Series Ignitions are designed, built, tested, and supported in the USA. We say ‘most’ on our 6-Series because there are two models that do incorporate a half populated PCB from overseas. In El Paso, we populate the rest of the raw and power components, assemble it, test, burn it in and package it.

Yes, some coils, such as the Blaster 2, are made overseas. One reason is there are no oil filled canister style coil manufacturers in the United States. All MSD coils are made to our specifications and thoroughly tested. Also, the coils for the Pro Mag 12s and 44s, the HVC line of coils and our multiple spark LS coils are all made in the United States.

One area that we offer caution, especially when purchasing used or through the internet, is with Distributors. MSD designed the Pro-Billet distributor and now you are seeing complete copies of our distributors coming from overseas. Even name-brand competitors are selling distributors that are copied from the original MSD design – some even with our part numbers! The distributor issue has become a predicament for MSD as we still get the tech calls, the upset customers, and even some returns of these off-shore duplicate distributors.

We could go on with other products in our line such as the 8.5mm Super Conductor, APS Starters, Crank Triggers (all made in the USA), but want to keep it short. It is important to mention our budget based line, Street Fire. This is line offers several distributors, easily identified with cast housings, as a budget based brand. The distributors are produced in China, however it took over a year to get a product that we were confident in. We put them under a different brand to clearly set the two designs apart. For the record, there is also a Street Fire CD ignition and spark plug wires as well – both made in the USA.

Face it, anything having to do with electronics is a tough business to be in with hundreds of raw material components, and it’s nearly impossible to build a product out of 100% USA components. You can be assured that if you do have an MSD coil that is made in China or in the United States, we will stand by its performance and provide you with the same support as any other MSD products.

We’ll see you at the races -

Russell Stephens
President
MSD Ignition
El Paso, TX
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Racers, we would like to set the record straight on a few of these ‘built off-shore’ claims. This is one of those subjects that could go on and on, but we’ll try to keep it short and sweet and to the point.

MSD was developed and born in El Paso 40 years ago. We have grown to encompass over 150,000 square feet of space to design, test, manufacture, and support our components. We have engine dynos, chassis dynos, CNC equipment, an EDM machine to cut molds, wave solder machines, surface mount pick and place equipment, and more tools and capabilities to aid us in MANUFACTURING the best ignition components available. We are comprised of just under 300 employees – with the average seniority of 12 years! No other manufacturer can even come close to that kind of commitment from its employees.

Every 7-Series, 8-Series, Pro Mag and most 6-Series Ignitions are designed, built, tested, and supported in the USA. We say ‘most’ on our 6-Series because there are two models that do incorporate a half populated PCB from overseas. In El Paso, we populate the rest of the raw and power components, assemble it, test, burn it in and package it.

Yes, some coils, such as the Blaster 2, are made overseas. One reason is there are no oil filled canister style coil manufacturers in the United States. All MSD coils are made to our specifications and thoroughly tested. Also, the coils for the Pro Mag 12s and 44s, the HVC line of coils and our multiple spark LS coils are all made in the United States.

One area that we offer caution, especially when purchasing used or through the internet, is with Distributors. MSD designed the Pro-Billet distributor and now you are seeing complete copies of our distributors coming from overseas. Even name-brand competitors are selling distributors that are copied from the original MSD design – some even with our part numbers! The distributor issue has become a predicament for MSD as we still get the tech calls, the upset customers, and even some returns of these off-shore duplicate distributors.

We could go on with other products in our line such as the 8.5mm Super Conductor, APS Starters, Crank Triggers (all made in the USA), but want to keep it short. It is important to mention our budget based line, Street Fire. This is line offers several distributors, easily identified with cast housings, as a budget based brand. The distributors are produced in China, however it took over a year to get a product that we were confident in. We put them under a different brand to clearly set the two designs apart. For the record, there is also a Street Fire CD ignition and spark plug wires as well – both made in the USA.

Face it, anything having to do with electronics is a tough business to be in with hundreds of raw material components, and it’s nearly impossible to build a product out of 100% USA components. You can be assured that if you do have an MSD coil that is made in China or in the United States, we will stand by its performance and provide you with the same support as any other MSD products.

We’ll see you at the races -

Russell Stephens
President
MSD Ignition
El Paso, TX

Russel
Thanx for your responce, here is mine,,,,,
This reads like a copy and paste pre prepared statement and does not address whats is in the first post in this thread.

Nobody said anything about them being made over seas, I said my 6a that has funtioned perfect for the last 15 years failed. It has been through several vehicles and I have been pleased with it. It is now obsoleted and I understand this as well, not a problem.

What the problem is, I find folks saying their new digital unit was bad out of the box, with many problems starting in 2011. They are also saying that support is lacking and costing more (ok things go up, get over it),,,, I may call monday to see what repairs will cost as I have 3 dead 6a units

So has the issue/s these folks were not happy with been resolved with the units? (6al is what I am looking into)
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In thinking some of the failed units mentioned and regurgitated on the biggy web may have been clones. Especially the distributors.

As for the electronics...........I'd try and get one of your old analog units repaired.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
RWise
1981 CJ5 

I will check into repairs, for now I picked up an msd 6t which is probably more suited to my use.

As to "clones" that is a growing problem, china steals everything they can sale back to us!

Ha! I should tell them that you told to get an rma!! LOL

Thanx for your responce, I was hoping to get some real world users to reply with their expereance with the newer digital units,,,
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

86CJ74.2L - is that actually from you or is that a response you found? Being you are located in PA, and they area AZ, I am guessing that is not actually you...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Another thing to think about is where you mount the 'box'. Make sure you have plenty of airflow over it.
Also, use the rubber mounts if you can.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
Russel
Thanx for your responce, here is mine,,,,,
This reads like a copy and paste pre prepared statement and does not address whats is in the first post in this thread.

Nobody said anything about them being made over seas, I said my 6a that has funtioned perfect for the last 15 years failed. It has been through several vehicles and I have been pleased with it. It is now obsoleted and I understand this as well, not a problem.

What the problem is, I find folks saying their new digital unit was bad out of the box, with many problems starting in 2011. They are also saying that support is lacking and costing more (ok things go up, get over it),,,, I may call monday to see what repairs will cost as I have 3 dead 6a units

So has the issue/s these folks were not happy with been resolved with the units? (6al is what I am looking into)
I have one purchased in 2011 with nary a hiccup.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
86CJ74.2L - is that actually from you or is that a response you found? Being you are located in PA, and they area AZ, I am guessing that is not actually you...
That is a response on their website to rebut the negative publicity they've seen being passes around the forums. When you google "MSD is Junk" you get plenty of hits. But how many are the same one repeated? The Internet has a habit of multiplying a single isolated incident into it is happening on every purchase from Jegs or Summit Racing. I even wonder what the advantage is to having the digital box. Does it multi spark to 5000rpm instead of 3000rpm?

I'm not standing on a soap box and preaching the Merritt's of MSD and how good their products are...........I've had my MSD since 1991. I'm sure it is more Hardy and able to take abuse then most things built today. Companies do not over engineer thing anymore. (It cuts into profits) so if a design spec's a 10a transistor. That's what your getting. Not one rated at 15 or 20amps. And that digital box it probably all surface mounted micro-miniature which to me not the heartiest components to be mounted in a 200 degree engine compartment.

Just my two cents.

To the OP a stealth HEI would be a suitable option. Could even mount everything inside one of your smoked MSD boxes.

Mine is mounted on the top if the passenger fender out of the way of most weather related and 4 wheeling events.
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
I have one purchased in 2011 with nary a hiccup.
Thanx,nice to hear some good. Is this a digital 6al? or?

I have it mounted on the pasenger fender well just like the pics I have seen here. Maybe it was just its time to go,, all things die.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise

Thanx,nice to hear some good. Is this a digital 6al? or?
Maybe it was just its time to go,, all things die.
So true.
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
GeCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I been using the Crane Cams HI-6R CD ignition for about 15 years and never been more happier with it longevity and its reliability. It a little pricey but it has never ever failed. You can actually here the spark plugs fire!

http://www.cranecams.com/392-395.pdf
GeCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeCJ7 View Post
I been using the Crane Cams HI-6R CD ignition for about 15 years and never been more happier with it longevity and its reliability. It a little pricey but it has never ever failed. You can actually here the spark plugs fire!

http://www.cranecams.com/392-395.pdf
I could have made this statement a few days ago about MSD, 1 second can sure change things. I have a crane cams module in my Harley that I have been pleased with.

Anyone running the MSD 6T? Claims to be built for off road with more support for components.
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I agree,, copy and paste! I think it would be to much to hope for to actually converse with the presedent of MSD here or anywhere else without a ton of money in your pocket to spend! (could it happen, sure) Though MSD could profet from better comunications with end users! You know, those of us that pull out a perfect working system to put in another,,,,,, and then refuse to put it back even for a short time when their choice fails!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.