MSD Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MSD Module

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

MSD Module

I just installed a 6a msd module on my 77 CJ 5. Teamrush installed a while ago. Today when I started it up there is a noticeable noise coming from inside the. Dizzy. Like a cricket. It does not stop. Runs great though. No problems. Does anyone else have the same noise?

ozzieb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I'm running nearly the same setup without that noise.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

When I did the wires I ran them along my valve cover. With the rest of my loom. Could this be the reason? Interference?
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Did you twist your wires to keep them from picking up induced signals?

If the engine is firing properly I don't think that's a problem...

Your description of crickets inside the distributor sounds like something in the distributor is scraping.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Your description of crickets inside the distributor sounds like something in the distributor is scraping.
That's what it sounds like to me also. Have you taken the cap off to see if there is something loose or the rotor touching?
Maybe the dizzy needs to be tightened down.
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

The wires are twisted. I called msd. And I guess the trigger wires have to be away from all other wires. I will move them. And try that. Looked at dizzy.nothing touching. If it still makes the noise I will replace cap and rotor.
Unread 10-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

I moved the trigger wires far away. Nothing With Votage is near them, still the same noise out of the dizzy. I Replaced the Cap and Rotor even though they are 2 months old. and same noise. I guess its just the noise the jeep makes now that it has a Real Module :-) Runs Great ! I left the Old Duraspark Wires In play Just For a Back Up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.