MSD Ignition for 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MSD Ignition for 304

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
kstopp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

MSD Ignition for 304

I'm interested in buying a MSD box specificially the 6AL with rev limiter. This would replace the Ford ignition module that came from the factory right? The MSD module hooks up to the distributor and the coil and just gets power? Is there anymore wiring than that? I already have the bigger ford cap and MSD offroad coil. Anyone with thoughts on this unit or similar unit, worth the money?

kstopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

It connects directly to the positive and negative terminals on your battery. Why do you need the rev limiter?
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
kstopp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have a manual and I guess I like the safety if I miss a shift or something goes crazy and the throttle is stuck.
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
It connects directly to the positive and negative terminals on your battery. Why do you need the rev limiter?
Broken parts, missed shifts, ect.
I guess if you drive a vehicle that won't grenade it's self if you rev it free with no load, you will be fine,

BUT,

I think a rev limiter is a GREAT idea, and I run one on both ignitions in my jeep...
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

FOR THE OP...

Here is an install diagram that might help you with that MSD install...

This was drawn for a guy with a painless harness, so where it says 'Small Red Wire To Painless',
You will hook the small red wire up to the old coil connector 'Red Wire' or to the module two wire connector (harness side) 'Red Wire'...
Either one will work to power up the MSD module...

If you have 'Run On', meaning everything starts and runs fine, but when you try and shut the engine off, it won't stop, (Very Common!) it just means you need a diode in your alternator circuit...

Jeep is wired stupid, and the alternator can 'Back Feed' enough current to keep the MSD module turned 'On'...
You simply need to invest about $3 in Radio Shack diodes to fix the problem...

Let me know if that happens and I'll show you a quick way to fix it!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
kstopp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much for that diagram! Looks like a pretty simple install, just a couple of questions for you,

It would appear from the diagram it's better to connect the module's heavy power feed up to the positive side of the starter solenoid and not just directly on the battery's terminal?

Do you mount your MSD module where the old ignition module sat on the driver's inner fenderwell? Or anywhere special to keep it away from the harmful elements?
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

A good plan is to get additional (junkyard) plugs and to retain the stock ignition module/box (just unplug it and plug in the MSD), that way if your MSD box fails (I never had one fail but I have heard of failures), you can easily switch back to the original ignition and drive out.

I mount MSD units high on the firewall but any reasonably flat surface will work.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Soundman1
1978 CJ7 

Hammer, does that diagram apply to the new 6AL2 also?
Thanks, Terry
Soundman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstopp View Post

It would appear from the diagram it's better to connect the module's heavy power feed up to the positive side of the starter solenoid and not just directly on the battery's terminal?
Unless you make your own high quality battery cables,
It's very hard to make a positive attachment at the battery that will live.

After market ring terminals will corrode VERY QUICKLY at the battery, so the wire is hard to keep attached!

By connecting at the end of the battery positive cable, you get to move your attachment point away from the corrosive effects of the battery, and still get all the current the module needs to operate correctly.

Quote:
Do you mount your MSD module where the old ignition module sat on the driver's inner fenderwell? Or anywhere special to keep it away from the harmful elements?
I try and keep mine away from the worst of the heat and crud...
The back side of the grill shell is a pretty good place to mount the module in most cases...
And in '76 to '86 CJ's there is a vent blowing right on the back side of the module!

This isn't a MSD module, but this ignition box will show you where I'm talking about...
[img]

Personally, I mount mine under my dash above the gauge cluster.
As long as you don't run the ignition trigger wires in the same bundle with the other wires (that's why they are on opposite ends of the module... To separate them!) you can move the module to places like the glove box or behind your dash... Or someplace where it's not likely to get dunked underwater!

If you do a BUNCH of water, there is a sealed up version of the MSD 6 series module...
One is the 'Off Road' module, and another is the 'Marine' module, both are water sealed...
--------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
A good plan is to get additional (junkyard) plugs and to retain the stock ignition module/box (just unplug it and plug in the MSD), that way if your MSD box fails (I never had one fail but I have heard of failures), you can easily switch back to the original ignition and drive out.
That's why my diagram has the distributor adapter part number, and I give part numbers for the two most popular coil connectors.

With those two connectors, you have made the MSD a 'Stand Alone' ignition and if you just disconnect/tape over the factory coil connector, distributor coil connector, and module 2 wire connectors, you have the factory ignition as a back up...

If the MSD module fails, you simply connect the factory harness coil connector to the coil,
Plug in the factory distributor connector,
And plug in the factory Two Wire module connector,
And you have Trail Redundancy on your entire ignition!

A couple of connectors/plugs are pretty cheap when you start to think about getting a redundant ignition in the bargain!
---------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman1 View Post
Hammer, does that diagram apply to the new 6AL2 also?
Thanks, Terry
YES.
That diagram works for all the basic MSD 6 series modules. (6, 6A, 6AL, 6T, ect.)

Wiring colors will be correct for the Off Road module, but the connectors will be different!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
kstopp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all your help, I went out today and bought the 6AL, ford wire adapter and the extension but didn't end up needing it. Wired it all up and placed the module where I had already removed the factory foot parking brake assembly and switched over to a hand lever, it's out of the way and should be clear of any water. I could feel the difference it made, very good upgrade for the price!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.