MSD with Howell TBI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MSD with Howell TBI

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
82Renegade
1982 CJ7 

MSD with Howell TBI

hey guys, have read 100 posts on ignition upgrades, including the JeepHammer wikipedia, but am still missing something. Have been running a Howell TBI for about a year with great results and just installed a MSD 6A and now she's not cranking.
Per the MSD Troubleshooting guide, I checked and am getting a spark from the MSD. I have an '82 but constantly find its '81 tech (was non-comp carb, independant duraspark).
Only link between the ignition and howell is the white tach wire that feeds the TBI computer. Do I need a tach adaptor inline before the TBI knows whats going on? Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

82Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
jolly_rogger

I just did a msd 6al install a few weeks back and i was having the same problem as you (although i'm not running tbi) anyway my problem was i was not getting 12 volts from the keyed power source at the coil when the ignition was turned on so i ended up finding a new keyed power source and ran a new line to the msd and now it works everytime (if i could only say that about the mech fuel pump though lol) rember to re gap the plugs too and use a spiral wind spark plug wire i'd suggest aurora wires or another high end wire.
jolly_rogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

I ran into this when I installed my MSD: you have to replace the tach filter in the Howell harness with one made for a multi-spark ignition ... call Howell and they will sell it to you for ~$50, then you will need to unlace part of your harness near the ECM, cut out the existing filter and solder in the new one.
TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
82Renegade
1982 CJ7 

Great, thanks guys. I'll give Howell a call today.
82Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
mikey003
1985 CJ7 

82 Renegade,

How did you get yours running? I had the same exact scenario. Howell TBI plus Team Rush upgrade. Worked perfectly. Tried to add MSD Digital 6A including replacement of the tach filter on the computer with one from Howell. Still can't get her to start. Do you have any wiring diagrams you can share? I feel like I am missing one key thing, but just cant trace it.

Thanks!
mikey003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.