MSD CDI General Wiring Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MSD CDI General Wiring Questions

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Cashcrazy

MSD CDI General Wiring Questions

I have been working on getting the most out of my 258. So far the ignition upgrades have been the best changes I have made to the Jeep. I really think the CDI box will be the icing on the cake. I would like to have a full understanding of the wiring for the CDI box. I will run through what I think I know. I borrowed the pictures from other Jeepforum threads.

Where the Duraspark uses orange and violet wires(top pic), the MSD uses the green & purple wires (bottom pic) connected to the MSD-8869 adapter (below).

Green Duraspark wire "replaced" by MSD Black wire.

Red Duraspark wire replaced by MSD Orange wire.

I am confused where the Duraspark gray wire is being replaced on the MSD wiring.

The black wire is "unused" due to the MSD being grounded to the battery??

Where exactly do I need to connect the small red wire on the MSD? I found another drawing showing it connected to the positive side of the horseshoe connector, but orange wire goes there. Do these get spliced?

Bypass the ballast resistor altogether with the MSD?

What difference will it make routing the heavy red MSD wire directly to the battery vs to starter relay?

Msd makes an extension cable for the distributor plug, a shielded version #8862, and a non shielded #8860. Is the shielded really needed?

I hope someone can make sense of what I am trying to get right in my brain. I have read several threads about people smoking their box by not wiring correctly. I do not want to tell that story.

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Here's a link to MSD Ignitions, click on the Instructions tab and then the PDF; the instructions will download for you:

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...n_Control.aspx

It really is a very simple project.
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The small red wire attaches to a switched 12V source. Most guys splice into the large Red w/white tracer wire somewhere between the firewall and the old factory ignition module.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Here's the MSD wiring version I used when I had the 6AL installed.

The gray wire is not used.

Black wire is not used, just make sure your distributor is grounded by the hold down clamp.

Red wire is the source that turns ON the MSD unit through your ignition switch.

I don't know if you need to Ballast Resistor in your application.

I have my heavy MSD red wire tapped onto the starter relay where the battery cable connects to it.

You only need to run a shielded wire if you plan on routing the wires of the MSD unit in the loom of the stock wiring. Shielded cable eliminates electronic 'noise' that may effect the signals to the MSD unit. If you mount your MSD box close or near the distributor, say passenger fender for I6 engine, then you don't need shielded cable.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's the one I used, since I don't have a factory tach.

The only difference is, I spliced the little red wire into the harness where I mentioned earlier, instead of using the coil connector.

Matt
msdwiringdiagram.jpg   msdwires2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Cashcrazy

Thanks for all of the responses. Matt yours is super clean under the hood, looks great. I think I have it figured out. I am going to wait for it to arrive and then decide where I want to mount it. I can't wait to see the results.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

This seems to be the most prevalent spot. It's close to where the wiring needs to go and away from heat. You can hide it anywhere there's good air circulation though. Just keep it away from heat.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.