Mrs. Agnes: My 1978 CJ-7 Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mrs. Agnes: My 1978 CJ-7 Build Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Today, I made my defrost modification. After watching all the other solutions and realizing I am in the south where defrost is not critical I decided to work with what I had on the YJ tub since I don't have a welder.

First, Layout a series of 7/8" holes:

Drill said holes:

Modify duct to fit:

Paint:

Unread 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Scooter, why did you not connect the holes to make slots?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

left it as holes for strength. Also thinking the airflow thru the holes will increase the pressure of the system and help with the defrost flow. We shall see.
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter71954 View Post
left it as holes for strength. Also thinking the airflow thru the holes will increase the pressure of the system and help with the defrost flow. We shall see.
10-4... are you planning the motor upgrade?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Yes, motor upgrade is complete. and I will be plugging the frame to limit airflow to just the lower part of the frame. I have some nice t hick closed cell foam sheet.
Unread 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Installing!
E-brake pedal; pedal assembly and wiring harness

Heater box

Liquid check and roll-over check valves...
Unread 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

My least favorite part... working under the dash. Looking good Scooter.

Unread 09-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #38
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good work on the spill trap and vent. I need to do mine and will use your photo as an example!

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Continued work under dash today. I had installed a full YJ pedal assembly for the hydraulic clutch pedal geometry. When I installed the manual brake master cylinder, I wasn't happy with the alignment with the push rod. So out with the YJ assembly and in with a CJ assembly. Brake master rod throw now normal.

Decided, just replace the CJ clutch pedal with the YJ pedal. All bolted up, brake master in place and works perfect. Clutch master installed (81 version) and it hooks up fine except the hole in the push rod is much larger than the YJ pedal pin. No problem! I took a 3/8x16 nutsert, drilled out the threads inside and cut it off to make a "bushing". All GOOD!

Now I think, I am done with the foot controls, so lets install the pretty new pedal pads. E-Brake pad on, check. Brake pedal pad on, check. Clutch pedal pad on...no good. the YJ pedals are smaller than CJ pedals so the pads don't fit!

ARRGH! Some of these simple mods make you want to scream. Anyway, took the CJ clutch pedal and cut off the pad mounting plate. Then cut off the YJ pad mounting plate. Monday, I will take it to get the CJ plate welded to the YJ pedal arm.

I also, mounted and connected the defrost duct:

Another biggie is I installed Nut-Serts for the windshield hold downs in the proper location for a CJ Windshield/Dash that I got from McMaster.com

Unread 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
1983 CJ7 

Looking great!
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #41
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The dash nutserts is a very good idea!!!! Good thinking.

Unread 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Had my clutch pedal modification welded and installed. $20 to weld the CJ pad on the YJ clutch arm. Foot controls now complete.

Installed the windshield hinges. Being a boater, I used a marine bedding compound behind the hinges to seal the hinge to the cowl. It worked great with push out all around and thru the screw holes. I don't foresee any water intrusion.

Also have half the rear wiring harness rebuilt, details tomorrow.

Moving on to finishing the brakes.
Unread 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #43
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Finished the brakes front and rear. New everything except drums which I had turned. You know you have done this too many times when you can take a box full of drum brake parts and install on both sides in under an hour! Holding off on bleeding until Daughter and SIL come to help. I also need them to help install windshield frame, glass and steering column as well so it will be a few weeks.

Installed rear wiring harness after refurbishing it end to end. Also added a dedicated ground circuit as well. Now working on little things like fender braces, etc. Also fabricating a heat shield for the clutch slave cylinder while I wait for my braided line to arrive. I tried a stock line, but it was too short.

Pulled out my grill and discovered a huge dent where the hood latch hook is mounted and some minor rust inside. Hope to beat out the dent and make it work...

Starting at a new job tomorrow after 3 1/2 months off. Gonna miss t-shirt, shorts and sandals everyday!
Unread 10-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Scooter, good luck on the job. I am happy for you! I was out of work for about that same period. It sure was nice being home for so long!!

Unread 10-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
scooter71954
1978 CJ7 

Started mock-up for spare tire carrier. Hinge side done. Will finish the latch side tomorrow. pictures to follow.

Spent 2 hours removing the striping tape from the tub prior to paint prep. The YJ tub was a Limited version, so lots of striping. I used a 3M-7498 STRIPE WHEEL W/ARBOR that I bought from Amazon. I am buying more stuff thru Amazon since with my Prime membership, I get free shipping on most things. Also get free movies!. Anyway, the stripe wheel is like a big round eraser. I chucked it into my dying Harbor Freight angle drill and it removes striping and adhesive without harming the paint. This way, the adhesive residue doesn't get imbedded into the paint during sanding. Imbedded adhesive would inhibit adhesion of the paint later.

Also tested all the dash switches. All were good except the heater fan switch so order a replacement. Wiper motor is seized. Going to try a rebuild before I shell out the $80+ for a replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.