Moving Back up to NY. How do I prepare my scrambler for the salt? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Moving Back up to NY. How do I prepare my scrambler for the salt?

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post
I 2nd/3rd the "buy a winter beater". Cheaper old school MO (for road salt) is spray the under carriage 50% diesel, 50% used motor oil. Do it annually and it'll keep salt damage at bay (somewhat). It does make maintenance a sloppy chore though....
That is what the old-timers did/do on the Outer Banks of NC. It will not stop all rust but it sure does help preserve the vehicle.

Unread 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Valkyrie0002
2009 JK Wrangler 

Buy a winter beater!
Back in the 70s and 80s in Buffalo, NY we would see a new car start to rust during the 1st winter. The older vehicles did not have the Galvy parts and they have many places that the snow and salt residue will lay in. It does not take long for rust to take hold.
Valkyrie0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=...%20neutralizer

I'll echo using Internal Frame Paint and a quality coating on the outside. A good rubberized undercoating W/ upkeep will help too. Or you could give everything underneath a good cleaning, then spray boiled linseed oil on everything (not in your driveway and not your exhaust) and let it dry for a couple days.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.