Moving Back up to NY. How do I prepare my scrambler for the salt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Moving Back up to NY. How do I prepare my scrambler for the salt?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
rispony
1981 CJ8 

Moving Back up to NY. How do I prepare my scrambler for the salt?

Hey all. Long story short, I came down to Florida 5 years ago for college. Along the way I picked myself up an 81' scrambler in pretty solid condition, she just required a lot of TLC. I'm all finished up down here and plan on moving back next month to New York (Long Island) and she's definitely coming with. I was talking to Jim over at OK4WD (some of you OME converters may know him) because I was looking for a localish Jeep shop up there in case I ever needed any future help. When I told him that I planned on using the jeep during the winter months, he was shocked. He told me that I should just keep it in a garage all winter or else within a year or two, the salt from the roads will completely destroy the frame. How do you Northern CJ'ers cope with this? Will I really have to lock it up for half the year? Some proponents of POR-15 have mentioned to me in the past that a simple coat of that stuff on the undercarriage will end all my worries, is this true? I'd really appreciate the advice, because although she is my daily driver, I'd like to keep her in show conditions!

...And here's a recent pic of her.

www.JeepCJ8.blogspot.com
rispony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I wouldn't worry to much about the snow but the beach is the killer around here.
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Rolandt03
1983 CJ7 

sell it to me???
Rolandt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
BlkCJ7Laredo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

As Jim told you. Put it away during the winter, and don't get near the beach or coast line with it. Salt will wick its way into even the most prepared and sealed up Jeep and you'll be left with nothing but a pile of rubble.

My Rebuild/Restoration Thread, In Progress
BlkCJ7Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I have prepared mine for the salt with fiberglass body parts, galvanize dipped TDK frame with POR15 coating on the outside and Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating on the inside. Every bolt is Never-Siezed, and all possible hardware is stainless steel. Hinges, mirrors, etc., are stainless.

If you want to keep that beauty all original like that, store it for the winters and get a TJ or a CJ7 for the snow season.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I'd say he's right. Store it for the winter and pick up a beater Cherokee to get you around. Or do what Cutlass327 did. It's cheaper to buy a beater though.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

I 2nd/3rd the "buy a winter beater". Cheaper old school MO (for road salt) is spray the under carriage 50% diesel, 50% used motor oil. Do it annually and it'll keep salt damage at bay (somewhat). It does make maintenance a sloppy chore though....

Certainly a lot quicker than Galvy dip/POR 15 etc. I guess it also depends whether it's a #1 example or #5 example of a Scrambler?

Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post
I 2nd/3rd the "buy a winter beater". Cheaper old school MO (for road salt) is spray the under carriage 50% diesel, 50% used motor oil. Do it annually and it'll keep salt damage at bay (somewhat). It does make maintenance a sloppy chore though....

Certainly a lot quicker than Galvy dip/POR 15 etc. I guess it also depends whether it's a #1 example or #5 example of a Scrambler?

Just my .02
I 4th that thought... otherwise, unless you can pick your jeep up and dunk it in a tank of wax, or clean the heck out of the underside and put a really good coat of undercoating on ... and unfortunately, that doesn't fill the frame tubes, body holes, etc.. and the road salt, sea salt, and anything else corrosive gets in there.. best go with a beater daily driver for the winter months.. take a look at most cars/trucks in the NE, and you can just about see under the body all the way across to the other side where the rust has eaten away the lower portion of the vehicle.. don't know how the bodies stay on the frames back there.. on a better note, DON'T move to NY.. go west..
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
on a better note, DON'T move to NY.. go west..

Seriously, why the heck would you want to move back to NY? Must be a woman or something, but let me tell you it ain't worth it.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

SEM rustshield, Eastwood's frame coating kit, and maybe some Fluid Film on top, and that should protect you for a while...but you'll never really fully seal it off unfortunately if it's exposed to a Northeast winter / coast.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Seriously, why the heck would you want to move back to NY? Must be a woman or something, but let me tell you it ain't worth it.
You already live in paradise, Why go back? I've been here 5 years, and I don't own enough clothes to stay warm up there.
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

anybody who moves deliberately and intentionally from Florida to New York should sell his jeep and invest the money into getting some professional counseling
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Throw a few cans of Eastwood internal frame coating inside of the frame. http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
It's listed for $19.99 a can, but if you call them they were selling them for $9.99 a can for phone sales.
The nozzle can then be used on paint cans also. I just put my 3rd coat of Rustolium, on top of the Eastwood's, inside my frame today.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The bigger question is why are you moving to NY? But on topic, yes the Jeep will be destroyed from the salt on the roads and the ocean salt. I'm from MI and made the mistake of moving from TX to MI once, and said **** this, then got smart and went back to TX.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I have prepared mine for the salt with fiberglass body parts, galvanize dipped TDK frame with POR15 coating on the outside and Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating on the inside. Every bolt is Never-Siezed, and all possible hardware is stainless steel. Hinges, mirrors, etc., are stainless.

If you want to keep that beauty all original like that, store it for the winters and get a TJ or a CJ7 for the snow season.
Yep. Because even with all the stuff that Cutlass just listed he did, it will STILL rust eventually.

I think a more pertinent question is this: Why in the hell would you move to NY from Florida????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.