Mounting Winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mounting Winch

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mounting Winch

As you might be able to see from my pics, I've got a push bar on my bumper. I'm about to mount a winch and need some suggestions / photos to get some ideas about mounting it. I'm using a roll fairlead with it also and I'd like to have that behind my push bar. Any photos or suggestions?

ClarkGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I've never seen a winch/bullbar set up myself. I wouldn't want anything obstructing the winch fairlead. I use a warn bumber with a warn winch and mounting plate. Never had an issue.
Unread 01-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
TX JEEP CJ7

While the previous post is correct and more than adequate, you are not looking for that answer...are you? I do not believe that you need to purchase a new bumper if you don't want to. What you will need is a quality winch plate. You can modify it to fit where a frame cover normally would by drilling a few holes. Make sure that you use garde 8 bolts or better. The fairlead will mount to the winch plate and as long as your bull bar does not obstruct the line when pulling there will be no issues. It is hard to tell exactly how the bull bar mounts on those pics. Post more for more help.
TX JEEP CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX JEEP CJ7
While the previous post is correct and more than adequate, you are not looking for that answer...are you? I do not believe that you need to purchase a new bumper if you don't want to. What you will need is a quality winch plate. You can modify it to fit where a frame cover normally would by drilling a few holes. Make sure that you use garde 8 bolts or better. The fairlead will mount to the winch plate and as long as your bull bar does not obstruct the line when pulling there will be no issues. It is hard to tell exactly how the bull bar mounts on those pics. Post more for more help.
I'll try to get some more pictures posted but I thinking I've figured it out...mostly. I've got a winch plate that I'll have to do some minor mods to and if I get it set at the right height the fairlead will fit behind the bull bar w/o any obstructions. It looks like I'll have to raise the winch plate about an inch of the frame cross plate but I don't think that will be an issue using grade 8 bolts. I'll still be bolting the winch plate into the frame in two places and two places will be bolted to the cross member. How does that sound?
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

<P>Here are some pictures of the winch. It is not mounted but just in the rough positioning. Note that I think I can get the lower roller on the fairlead just about the bottom bar on the bull bar. If I do any higher it starts getting in the way of lights and more radiator. What do you think?
Also, I'm going to have it supported about an inch off the frame using grade 8 bolts and spacers. Any thoughts?
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Pictures\Mike's Pictures\Green Jeep\jeepforum winch1.JPG

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Pictures\Mike's Pictures\Green Jeep\jeepforum winch1.JPGC:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\My Pictures\Mike's Pictures\Green Jeep\jeepforum winch4.JPG
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe the pics will send this time.
web-jeepforum-winch4a.jpg   web-jeepforum-winch2a.jpg   web-jeepforum-winch1a.jpg  
Unread 01-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not that a lot would care but I finally got my winch mounted tonight and tested. Alls working fine. Thought I'd just post a few photos on a done job. I've still got a little welding to do but that will happen later.

Unread 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Carmell CJ
1978 CJ5 

Very clean installation, great job
Unread 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Looks like it'll work to me. you may have some rubbing on your bumper depending on your pull angle, but all else looks OK.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmell CJ
Very clean installation, great job
Maybe I'm just a slow worker but it took forever to get this thing drop in place without hitting something. Close clearance with the headlight, turn signals, bull bar....so on. I just finished redoing my steering from the gear box on...and the shocks....and springs. I thought this would be a couple nights. Boy, was I wrong! Biggest thing was trying to get the fairlead between the bars in the bull bar.

Thanks for the tumbs up!
Unread 01-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Pantheus
1946 CJ2A 

Pull angle

You'll need to ensure that your pulls are nearly straight on, and never to the extreme side. Those verticals on the bullbar would cause major cable damage should the pulls be much sideways.

I have a similar problem with a tow bar that can't be moved, and the synthetic rope can't take the rubs that might happen. I put some smooth aluminum conduit-type material over the sharp steel, similar to your verticals to help.
Pantheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you're correct about the pull angle problem with the verticals on my bull bar. I saw that right away but it was either solve that problem later or get rid of the bull bar. The bull bar is staying.

I'll have to give this some thought but any suggestions are welcome.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.