Mounting hardtop to fiberglass tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mounting hardtop to fiberglass tub

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Mounting hardtop to fiberglass tub

I Have a fiberglass jeep and the hard top was screwed onto the tub and windshield and I am looking for better set-up. It has a small lip on tub but noway to attach nuts under it like on steel tubs. Thought maybe there was a nice kit or clamp system I could install and not have to just run screws down into body and look like crap when top is off. Thanks for taking time to look.

bill in the hil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
pwhit

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13122_04.htm

these might work
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Thanks. Yeah they might. I would hate to spend that much and they wont. I was hoping someone ran into same problem and had a good remedy. Do you run a hardtop on your's?
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Jimthejeepman1
1978 CJ7 

Just to let you know, those dont work..........I have the same problem and ordered those but they dont open far enough to clamp down where you need to clamp. I thought they would work based on the picture but they told me the pic was just general not exactly to scale.
Jimthejeepman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Right on Jim!! I appreciate the heads up. You may have saved me $60. I am probably going to go out this weekend and throw the top back on(Winter is damn near here).
I guess i will just have to get creative and come up with my own mounting system. I was thinking about a plate with threaded inserts I could recess in tub. Maybe bust out the powdercoater and pretty it up. Have to see if someone has any better ideas. Got to do something. Bikini top weather is a thing of the past.

Maybe I should move south and get out of the hills. Thanks again.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
pwhit

I have a hardtop but it is screwed into the fiberglass tub. I'm looking to get rid of mine and go w/ a soft top. I have heard of people installing nutserts into the top rails and then putting in bolts. That may be an option.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
pwhit

You also might be able to go to a truck camper store and get some type of clamp that might work. Just some thoughts.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Thought about nutserts. Just not sure if they could pull back out of body. Hate for that to happen. Not as much as dude behind me would. I will have to check more ito them. That is why I was thinking about mounting something like them to a thin strip I could attach down edge. Will have to think more about this. I got a big shop full of resources. I will come up with something.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
Jimthejeepman1
1978 CJ7 

I got creative and used three c clamps on each side welded to a thin strip of steel on top and bottom........I just line the strips up on the top and bottom lip and crank em down snug, and it has worked this far with no probs......
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Now were talking. I like that. Simple and effective. Now I have direction. Thanks again Jim
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Jimthejeepman1
1978 CJ7 

no prob
Unread 10-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Go to a place that sells camper shells (tops). They sell clamps that are made to hold a camper top onto a pickup bed. You should be able to find some clamps that will hold the hard top onto your fiberclass body.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
scso81
1980 CJ7 

Has anyone that has mounted a fiberglass top to a fiberglass cj7 tub have any pictures they can share of how they did it? I would love to mount my hard top on for the winter and use my fiberglass doors to boot. I think that combo will keep it toasty in there.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/80-cj7-frame-replacement-1218341/[/url]
scso81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scso81 View Post
Has anyone that has mounted a fiberglass top to a fiberglass cj7 tub have any pictures they can share of how they did it? I would love to mount my hard top on for the winter and use my fiberglass doors to boot. I think that combo will keep it toasty in there.
Toasty??? Never! Just above freezing, yes, so you can wipe the windows off!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.