Motorcraft 2100 carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motorcraft 2100 carb

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
havasushadow

Motorcraft 2100 carb

New rebuilt engine getting ready to install,going with the Motorcraft 2100 carb.
Question is for those who have done it did you leave the EGR valve and tube in tact or just do away with it and block off the EGR plug the hole in the intake and exhaust where the egr tube would go?
No smog where i live so thats not an issue.

havasushadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You don't say the flavor of engine or year or anything.

If the engine came with an EGR valve, then the cam is cut for one so it will not hurt power to have it running, it keeps the combustion chamber cooler and that can be a good thing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
frank c
1981 CJ5 

Mr. Romain, I am in the same boat I have a 1981 and doing the engine over .30 over pistons new bearings boil the block new cam bearings BUT not changing the cam I am re-using the original the engine shop that will do the work said I can do this.
And going to install a 2100 w/ stock intake and exhaust manifolds I wanted to do away with the EGR and plug all holes, IS THIS NOT A GOOD IDEA?? will it adversly effect my engine performance do you know ??? Thanks.
Also plan on doing the team rush upgrade on the elec.system and taking out the cat. converter allowing straight to muffler on the exhaust.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The EGR turns on when you are on the throttle which cools down the combustion chamber. Running hotter may affect the spark knock point so you may need higher octane without the EGR.

I think you would likely need a dyno machine to see the difference, if any, of the power with or without the EGR.

I can't tell the difference in my engine for power with and without it, but I do know that my engine pings under hard load without high test and my EGR is currently turned off.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasushadow View Post
New rebuilt engine getting ready to install,going with the Motorcraft 2100 carb.
Question is for those who have done it did you leave the EGR valve and tube in tact or just do away with it and block off the EGR plug the hole in the intake and exhaust where the egr tube would go?
No smog where i live so thats not an issue.
I see that you are new to JF, and have not filled in your engine information (profile). Thats a good idea, so that those who answer you will know which engine, trans, axle, etc that you have and gives them better information with which to work.

One of the things I like about Jeep (CJs) is its simplicity. and that fits with my philosophy of "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupid so I have a tendency to remove everything not needed (especially if mandated by congress) to get down to the basics, no extra lines, etc so that when I a wheelin at "tim buck two" I dont have anything but only the basics that can break that I may have to fix. My advise is to remove it (and have on mine).

Congrads on your rebuild, welcome to the forum.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank c View Post
Mr. Romain, I am in the same boat I have a 1981 and doing the engine over .30 over pistons new bearings boil the block new cam bearings BUT not changing the cam I am re-using the original the engine shop that will do the work said I can do this.
And going to install a 2100 w/ stock intake and exhaust manifolds I wanted to do away with the EGR and plug all holes, IS THIS NOT A GOOD IDEA?? will it adversly effect my engine performance do you know ??? Thanks.
Also plan on doing the team rush upgrade on the elec.system and taking out the cat. converter allowing straight to muffler on the exhaust.
Even though your cam is good, you might consider putting in anothr cam while you have the engine open. A cam with short duration and a stock to mild lift can give you extra torque that you will defiantly notice. And torque is usually what you want in jeep performance. They are usually more economical in using less fuel. The type I am suggesting is usually referred to a high torque or RV cam. I have found the engineers at the cam manf are open to help you and tell you a lot, so you could research it a little.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
havasushadow

Forgot the critical info,86 cj 4.2 the engine i just rebuilt is .030 over pistons
with a new comp cam and lifters. The new engine is actually form a 88.
I'm with h20jeep on the keep it simple.
If guys running the 2100 carb have the egr ports all blocked and are running without any issues thats what i m looking to do and wanted to confirm.
Thanks for all the input.
havasushadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.