Motor swap. Will it work with my transmission????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motor swap. Will it work with my transmission?????

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Motor swap. Will it work with my transmission?????

The motor I had was a stock AMC 304 V8, we're pretty sure it's the stock 3 speed transmission. My question is: Can we put a Chevy Small block V8 in the cj5 and keep the original transmission? Can we just switch the bellhousing out to one that will work?

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
airtime262
1979 CJ7 

Yes and no...
yes you can keep the transmission, you'll need an adapter to fit to the tranny. Novak adapters has them, kinda pricey. Then you'll need motor mounts, I'm getting ready to do that, from what I've heard, m.o.r.e. mounts are the best and they bolt it. I dont know that you'd really want to keep that tranny, it's not the strongest. I'm swapping mine out for a sm465, and 205 transfer case. I'm just gonna have to have new drive shafts made, which is no big deal, was gonna do that anyway. Some people dont like the 205, because of the way it hangs, but I'm not gonna be doing radical off roading, so I think I'll be fine with that and a 4" lift. Look into the adapters, their site is really helpful, theres another adapter co. out there, but I cant remember the name right now. www.novak-adapt.com/

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
airtime262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Thank you ever so much!!! I can't afford a new tranny. We're only puting a new motor in cuz my cousin let the original motor eat itself.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
pazur
1981 CJ7 

we are talking about big $$ for chevy swaps into cj. what about sbf and t18? that's about right size into cj5, and you don't need adapter btw t18 and 300
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
computertech
1974 CJ5 

Advance Adapters is the other company. They're cheaper than Novak. (at least for my purposes).
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

Have you considered just replacing the 304 with an AMC 360?? From your sig it looks like you are into mudding on a budget. The AMC 360 will bolt in place of the 304, all you will need is a flywheel for the 360. You should end up with a bunch more power also (vs the 304,)

FYI, the Novak listed price for the adapter needed to bolt a T150 to a GM bellhousing is $311.
bleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

My dad would prefer a chevy small block v8 cuz he's so used to working on them. I'm actualy considering a ford cuz that is the majority of motors around here, and I like ford. Only problem is I can't find an adapter for a ford small block v8 to mount it to my tranny so I would haffta go with a ford motor and tranny and I don't know if I can get them cheap and the transfercase adapter cheap enough.

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

The transmission is probably a t150. if it is it has a Ford bellhousing bolt pattern so a 302 or a 351w will bolt right up. You hav to either use a spacer or shorter the input shaft but no big deal. Just have to spring for some conversion motor mounts. Go to either advanced adapter or novaks websites. Tons of info
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Choice! We have an old Grand Marquise that has a 302 in it. If dad thinks it's still good. I also found a 351 windsor on craigslist. Just gotta see what dad says.

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
The transmission is probably a t150. if it is it has a Ford bellhousing bolt pattern so a 302 or a 351w will bolt right up.
Just to add to this, the existing bellhousing will not accept a Ford engine. You will have to have the correct Ford bellhousing to bolt to the existing transmission.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
Nickmil

Guys, he has a '75 CJ. That means if it was a stock 304 then he has a T-15 not a T-150. Worlds of difference and it does NOT have the Ford bolt pattern on the front of the transmission like the T-150. The input shaft is longer too. There is an adapter available however. The T-15 is probably the strongest 3 speed ever used in a Jeep. Not up to par with a T-18, 435, 465 etc. but still a stout unit for its size.

Pazur, you do need an adapter between the T-18 and 300 as that combination was never used factory. Even if it was factory there would still have to be an adapter between the two.

Advance Adapters and Novak both make the necessary adapters. AA makes pretty good stuff but I've had better luck with Novak's adapters fitting better with no modifications. I've installed literally 100's of both over the last 20 years.
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

You all are a great help!

Can't sleep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.