Motor swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motor swap?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Texaspipeliner
1985 CJ7 

Motor swap?

Ok I know I'm gonna hear some heat over this but I wanna know exactly what to do, my 258 is I think worn out hell it don't even run right. I wanna know what's easier to swap in a chevy V8 or a amc V8? I've got 37" boggers with a T-5 and the 258 and want...I mean need more power for the setup I'm about to build I don't think a 6 cylinder will turn 44" tires but whatever. Naw I just wanna know what's easier to swap into what I got?

Texaspipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

It should be fairly obvious that an AMC V8 swap will be easier into an AMC Jeep than a Chevy V8 would be. Turning the big tires is more about your axle gearing than the engine. I'm assuming you're planning some 1-ton axles if you don't already have them and something beefier than a T-5...
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Texaspipeliner
1985 CJ7 

Yes I'm getting one ton running gear, but man I'm having problems finding a amc v8, will it bolt right up to the t-5 or no?
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

Your t-5 is going to grenade with those tires and a v8! You would not ever be in a position to use the overdrive with those tires will you? Go with a heavier trans and save yourself some time to wheel instead of wrench
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

SBC = easier to get HP and torque, or at least cheaper.

AMC = easier to install and make work with Jeep drivetrain.

Pick your poison...
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Texaspipeliner
1985 CJ7 

I'm going to run at least 5.13 gears, and this thing is gonna be for full blown offroad like trailered anywhere I go not highway driven. I'm wanting to find a t-18. But what is gonna have to be done to swap in a amc v8?
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Take a look here for information on what works best with an AMC V8. There is a lot of good information about different engine/tranny setups at this site as well.

The AMC / Jeep V8 Engine - Novak Conversions
caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

If you go with the chevy, I'll recomend M.O.R.E motor mounts. makes installation as far as locating your engine mindless. Worth the $ IMO. Going AMC will keep it pure blood.
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.