motor swap in 81 CJ5 can't decide what motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > motor swap in 81 CJ5 can't decide what motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #46
Big_Pete1999
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just Out of curiosity, what is your budget? I don't want to come off as a prick, but in all honestly, takewhat you want to spend and triple it. Even if you have a friend who has a friend who did it for $X, triple it. There really is no such thing as a cheap (budget) build.

I bought a completely rebuilt 350 for $700, transmission for $75, and already had my dana 300, and I still spent over $3,000 and I still have small stuff to do. You need to plan for at least a few thousands dollars of "nickel and dime" stuff like hoses, brackets, bolts, adapters, tools you thought you had but lost, fittings, stock stuff that worked great, but once pulled out doesn't work anymore, things you break regardless of how careful you are, etc... I say this to prepare you for the wonderful world of cj building. Remember, once you start, you can't drive it til its finished, regardless of best intentions, what you expected to pay, or parts shortages.

This sight is great and full of wonderful, knowledgeable, and ridiculously generous/helpful people, use them, but also heed their warnings and ask questions about your questions. Byu doing that, your swap will go as quickly and smoothly as possible. You'll also open your eyes to how much it costs, how long it takes, and how simple/difficult certain aspects are. Good luck my man!

Unread 09-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #47
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I will chime in as being pro sbc for pretty much the same reason everyone else has and why everyone uses them. They are plentiful and have tons of support and parts available.

A couple of things, put in the biggest motor that you would ever want, you don't want to do it again in a few years. Get the tranny you want, if that means waiting until the price is right or you have the right budget then do that. Don't let your stock drivelines dictate your motor placement, there are plenty other clearance obstacles for you motor. Yes, drivelines are a cost, but it will likely only be about 5% of your total cost. I have seen stock cj5 motors corkscrew stock driveshafts, so imagine what a v8 will do.
The sbc I used in my 7 is late model fuel injected if you have any question.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #48
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

350 or 360, either way you would need a radiator, and motor mounts. And you might be able to use the bellhousing you have, you'd have to buy one for the 360.
Personally I like the 350. Maybe I just know them better?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #49
truckshop21
1981 CJ5 

ok so im doing a sbc 350 and a t176 with my dana300.... is $1000 a reasonable budget to do the swap with me buying a used 350 and t176?????
truckshop21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #50
Big_Pete1999
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckshop21 View Post
ok so im doing a sbc 350 and a t176 with my dana300.... is $1000 a reasonable budget to do the swap with me buying a used 350 and t176?????
You'll spend a MINIMUM of $3000 no matter what engine/transmission/transfer case you choose. Chevy, AMC, Ford, Mopar, anything. Get $3,000 cash in your hand, and maybe the engine on top of that before you even attempt to loosen the 1st bolt from your Jeep.
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #51
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

Agree with big Pete. $3k is a solid budget once you have the motor assuming it doesn't need any major work.

Just for reference, I am close to finishing my sbc swap, just need to run fuel lines and an air intake and I would ball park I am in at least $3k not including my engine and tranny. That said, I wasn't trying to do this on the cheap and I have been working on it since may. I did not add up my receipts because I really don't want to know.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4cyl , chevy v8 swap , cj5 , lift , mud

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.