Motor Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motor Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-29-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
icarus00000

Motor Swap

Hey guys...

Heres the question and situation.

I have a 1986 CJ7, 4 cyl, 4 speed (T4), manual steering, manual brakes.

I have the chance to buy a running, registered and inspected 1978 Wagoneer. The motor is a 360, and has power steering, and of course, the th400 and quad unit. The motor has 130,XXX miles or so, but starts right up, and doesnt burn oil.

I was thinking this would be a awesome donor to replace my weak 4 cyl motor, and also, upgrade to power steering as well. Plus, have all the parts I need from the donor (almost)

My questions are:

1. Would I be able to use the radiator ? Or is it to large ?
2. What is needed to make everything mount up ? ie, tranny & transfer case etc. Should I look for a 3 spd instead from an older CJ to mate up to the 360 ?
3.Would anyone else be interested in whats over ? lol

I know there are more questions, but its late, and just need to know if its worth doing, or should I save the cash, and upgrade to a newer, fuel injected motor. ( vortec )

Thanks

icarus00000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2003, 07:29 AM   #2
kev1

I can't give you a lot of answers, but I can share with you a little about my experience thus far in my 1980 CJ7 rebuild project.

I started with the GM-151 4 cyl. engine andwanted to upgrade, plus the SR4 transmission needed work. So I checked into many different options and heard a lot of people try to talk me into doing the 360 upgrade.

I chose to put in a 258 thinking it would be much easier and less expensive. Plus I wanted the torq and, I was told that I could increase my HP with a Weber, Headers, and HEI. So that is the path I went down.

This simple upgrade has many side effects. First I thought I could re-use my existing Drive Shafts. Nope, they needed resized or replaced. The 258 moved the bell housing back so the drive shafts lengths were wrong.

I had to get a new bell housing for the Ultimate T5 (beafed up T5) I bought. I had to get a new radiator, you will too. I had to get new Accessory brackets. I am not done yet, but this project is costing me more than I thought, I think they all go that way.

From what I have read and the people I have talked to, you will need to lift your Jeep so the oil pan on the 360 will clear. My lift, a little 2.5", changed the slopes of the driveshafts so I went with a CV rear drive shaft from Tom Woods, and while I was at it bought a Tom Woods front drive shaft. This also requires taking the wedge out of the Springs that came with the lift kit and replacing them with more tilt.

I don't want to scare you, but this has been my experience so far.

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.