Motor Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motor Swap

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-29-2003, 01:30 AM   #1
icarus00000

Motor Swap

Hey guys...

Heres the question and situation.

I have a 1986 CJ7, 4 cyl, 4 speed (T4), manual steering, manual brakes.

I have the chance to buy a running, registered and inspected 1978 Wagoneer. The motor is a 360, and has power steering, and of course, the th400 and quad unit. The motor has 130,XXX miles or so, but starts right up, and doesnt burn oil.

I was thinking this would be a awesome donor to replace my weak 4 cyl motor, and also, upgrade to power steering as well. Plus, have all the parts I need from the donor (almost)

My questions are:

1. Would I be able to use the radiator ? Or is it to large ?
2. What is needed to make everything mount up ? ie, tranny & transfer case etc. Should I look for a 3 spd instead from an older CJ to mate up to the 360 ?
3.Would anyone else be interested in whats over ? lol

I know there are more questions, but its late, and just need to know if its worth doing, or should I save the cash, and upgrade to a newer, fuel injected motor. ( vortec )

Thanks

icarus00000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
kev1

I can't give you a lot of answers, but I can share with you a little about my experience thus far in my 1980 CJ7 rebuild project.

I started with the GM-151 4 cyl. engine andwanted to upgrade, plus the SR4 transmission needed work. So I checked into many different options and heard a lot of people try to talk me into doing the 360 upgrade.

I chose to put in a 258 thinking it would be much easier and less expensive. Plus I wanted the torq and, I was told that I could increase my HP with a Weber, Headers, and HEI. So that is the path I went down.

This simple upgrade has many side effects. First I thought I could re-use my existing Drive Shafts. Nope, they needed resized or replaced. The 258 moved the bell housing back so the drive shafts lengths were wrong.

I had to get a new bell housing for the Ultimate T5 (beafed up T5) I bought. I had to get a new radiator, you will too. I had to get new Accessory brackets. I am not done yet, but this project is costing me more than I thought, I think they all go that way.

From what I have read and the people I have talked to, you will need to lift your Jeep so the oil pan on the 360 will clear. My lift, a little 2.5", changed the slopes of the driveshafts so I went with a CV rear drive shaft from Tom Woods, and while I was at it bought a Tom Woods front drive shaft. This also requires taking the wedge out of the Springs that came with the lift kit and replacing them with more tilt.

I don't want to scare you, but this has been my experience so far.

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.