Motor Oil for 85 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Motor Oil for 85 258

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
redman1567
2008 JK Wrangler 

Motor Oil for 85 258

I know that everyone says different things and recommends different things for motor oil, but i was wondering if anyone can tell me whether i should use conventional or syntetic motor oil in my 85 cj7 and why. Thanks.

redman1567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I'd run nothing but conventional in a seasoned pushrod I6. Better yet run Rotella diesel oil or Penzoil Long-Life (diesel oil).
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the Rotella, however I'm tempted to throw in a quart of synthetic just to get the extra friction protection, but am unsure if it will do any good. I'd love to know the facts on that.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I am also running diesel engine oil in mine. The engine calls for 10W30 for normal use, but the new gas engine oils are lacking additives the older ones need and the diesel oils still have them.

A synthetic will also clean out your engine so if you don't have all brand new seals it will turn into a pincushion.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

I run conventional Valvoline 10w30 during the winter months, and Rotella 15w40 in the summer months. Rotella because of the zinc content keeps wear down.
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
jeepmaniac
1976 CJ5 

Rotella is also available in 5W-40 synthetic (got it @ Walmart) - for those folks that reside where there are only 2 season - winter and road construction.
jeepmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Read about the Rotella 15/40 very soon after joining in on forum discussions. Quickly learned to trust the sources of info and tried it. Only engine oil I buy today. Even adding in for the recommended extra filter changes during the engines clean out period that cost and effort sure beats valve train rattles and worries.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

I run conventional oil, shell Rotella T Diesel Oil. Menards has it a at a great price. Has the ZDPH. Others, some of the diesel oils, off road, racing oils still have the ZDPH. I am also one of the guys that made quite a fuss about this.

JeepHammer say kinda a waste to put synthetic in a carbed engine. Our low HP, low rev, carbed engines that are usually rich will contaiminate the oil before the extened change cycle. That makes good sense.

One exception for the synthetic..... If you use the CJ in the Very Cold climates, like MN, the synthetics do not get as thick and may offer more protection.

For the poster above... I would not use the 40w for winter use. Too thick and may pump up the lifters too much and cause some issue and valve trane noise. Saw you were from MN. FYI.

Last... do not use the Frame Oil Filters on the 258, the allow the oil to drain out and have more of a dry start issue. They were also rated poorly for filter quality. Some good articles on both filters and oils if you do search. I found a great buy on Mobil 1 filters a yr ago $4 each and stocked up. Wix and few others were rated better.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Drsafety
1981 CJ7 

You may want to read the following thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/shell-rotella-t-my-jeep-578698/

I use Shell Rotella in my Jeep.

Hope this helps...
Unread 03-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
jeepmaniac
1976 CJ5 

Fred,
Just a comment on your reply - I agree that conventional 40w oil is too heavy to use in a cold climate like ours, but as you stated, synthetics are great in colder temps because of the better flow characteristics. I used Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in my 360 for many years (all year long) with no problems whatsoever. Always started - even at -25 deg. That engine is still in use after 135,000 miles since rebuilding. The Rotella 5W-40 is a synthetic.
Not trying to start a big issue here - just my personal experience.
Unread 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmaniac View Post
Fred,
Just a comment on your reply - I agree that conventional 40w oil is too heavy to use in a cold climate like ours, but as you stated, synthetics are great in colder temps because of the better flow characteristics. I used Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in my 360 for many years (all year long) with no problems whatsoever. Always started - even at -25 deg. That engine is still in use after 135,000 miles since rebuilding. The Rotella 5W-40 is a synthetic.
Not trying to start a big issue here - just my personal experience.
Jeepman,

I understand what you are saying. The FSM's and other auto documentation specifly motor oil weight to the temperatures. We live in MN and can get to 5 to -25F pretty often like we saw this winter. The FSM recommends above 0 deg F 10w30 or 10w40 (single weight 20w) and below 0 F 5w20 or 5w30 (single weight 10w).

No argument, use what you want. When you tell others on the JeepForum its ok to use a 40W there should be some caution. Now you say use a 50w. I do take acception with the 50W.

The Vintage Jeeps use a flat lifter that has a reed valve. Too Thick an oil will have more reisitance flowing thru the reed valve and may over pump up the lifter. Not a good thing.

Many of the JeepFourm Folks can get away with the 10w40 but here in MN just too cold. YES it is IMO. But the FSM agrees with me.

I store my CJ in the winter and salt. I am using 10w30 on the newly rebuilt engine. After 5k to 15k miles i may change to the 10w40 during the very hot summer months if I do another oil change. All the break in on mine will be done with 10w30W Shell Rotella.

Take care,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
jeepmaniac
1976 CJ5 

Fred,
Well - here we go...I did not recommend using any specific weight of oil - I just presented what has worked for me. I based some of my comments on a lengthy and thorough scientific article (38+ pages - wish I could find it for you, but can't) about how different weights of oil work in an engine. According to this article - there is very little difference in how 20W, 30W, 40W or even 50W work in an engine at operating temperature. The issue in cold climates is how well the oil flows when the ambient temperature or engine is cold - how well the oil is able to reduce friction and wear before the engine reaches full operating temperature. I do agree that a 5W oil is appropriate for our cold climate, but also think a higher weight synthetic oil ( not conventional oil ) is OK to use because of the improved flow characteristics of synthetics.
You refer to specs in the FSM that was written 35+ years ago - well before synthetic oils were available to the average consumer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.