For a mostly road CJ5, is it better to go with a spring over axle lift or coil over? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > For a mostly road CJ5, is it better to go with a spring over axle lift or coil over?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My CJ5 rides on RE "Standard" 4" YJ springs.. mounted SUA. I've got 4" (eye to eye) shackles and Rancho RS9000 shocks at all 4 corners. Also running 35" KM2s with about 18-20 psi in them.

I'm still amazed by the ride.. it is the softest riding "short Jeep" I've ever ridden in.. seriously. Matter of fact, I adjusted the shocks to the stiffest setting to get some of the "road feel" back. Only thing I'd like to add would be a Currie Anti-Rock or some other custom adjustable swaybar setup.. to combat body roll in turns. Other than that, the setup rides like you're on clouds..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
jlrray

When you say standard do you mean stock? Or you just bought any brand Wrangler 4" suspension lift and got a CJ / Wrangler adapter?
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:20 AM   #18
vettester
1978 CJ7 

I agree with everyone else..... about good bushings etc. Personally I think that maybe a good set of adjustable shocks would be a good first step. Some of the new ones are amazing in their range of adjustment, plus they let you adjust rates for the front and rear independently with a little knob on the bottom .........
vettester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray View Post
When you say standard do you mean stock?
Not stock. Rubicon Express (RE) sells a "standard" line and an extreme line of lift springs.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #20
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Not stock. Rubicon Express (RE) sells a "standard" line and an extreme line of lift springs.
Exactly.. the "Extreme" version is the expensive kit and the "Standard" version is supposed to be the budget kit..

The kit was pretty complete.. DT3000 shocks, extended brake lines.. etc. However, I sold the shocks off as I already had some 10" travel RS9000s.

I later swapped the front shock mounts for hoops and installed some 12.5" travel RS9000s that I got off eBay.

So.. with that "budget kit" mounted SUA with some longer shocks, my CJ5 rides great and flexes like this...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.