For a mostly road CJ5, is it better to go with a spring over axle lift or coil over? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > For a mostly road CJ5, is it better to go with a spring over axle lift or coil over?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
jlrray

For a mostly road CJ5, is it better to go with a spring over axle lift or coil over?

I love my jeep... Just not the ride. I'm not asking for a new SUV feel, just something better. I have an old 2.5" National Springs lift on my 78 CJ5 running 33" x 12". This is mostly a road jeep, so I need a better ride. Would a spring over axle lift give me better results? Should I go with a coil over conversion? Would it be good to reverse the front shackles? I just need some guidance here. Coil over looks really expensive.

Joe

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
tacjeep99

I would think a SOA would ride much worse given the nature of the modification. Coilover conversion would probably ride better, but there is a lot of expense to doing it, and in the end you still have a short wheelbase CJ-5 that is probably not going to ride a whole lot better than stock.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
benullman
1981 CJ7 

I would get a shackle reversale kit. From what I have heard they improve the onroad ride quite a bit.

dont forget to check the front drive shaft for travel!

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
jlrray

What about going SOA with Wrangler springs?
Unread 11-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray View Post
What about going SOA with Wrangler springs?
With Wrangler axles also? It will be very expensive to go to coil but it would be a nice ride. Oh wait I'm sorry, you mean YJ Wranglers leaf springs, my Wrangler has coils, I forgot some Wranglers don't

Seriously, the ride will be so tippy with those NT axles. If your looking for softer springs, SOA you're going to need to add sway bars and maybe a track bar also.
IMHO, you need to get wider axles and then go with the shackle reversal for a better ride. An adjustable set of shock also.

Is this going to be a DD vehicle? I think a SOA lift on a NT CJ5 is like a really hot chick. Fun to take out every so often but not something you want to live with day after day.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

I think you would be better off going with a real quality spring under set of springs. What you are asking is what people do for a better off road Jeep.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeester View Post
I think you would be better off going with a real quality spring under set of springs. What you are asking is what people do for a better off road Jeep.
This. Stay SUA. SOA gives a LOT of lift, even with stock springs. Scary on a street-driven CJ-5.

Get some quality springs and keep it the way it is....you're not going to make it much better, but those are some really old springs you have.

Old Man Emu is noted for good-riding springs.

You could custom-order a set from somewhere like Alcan...you fill out an online form with lots of info about your Jeep, then they call you and ask a ton more questions about it, like what you are primarily going to use the Jeep for, etc....then build the springs to your liking.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Yup! For the street keep the springs under.
Soft replacement springs are becoming much more common, give Rubicon Express a call and emphasize that you want a soft ride.
Be careful not to get heavy duty shocks (Ranchos, etc) as your ride will suffer.
Get quality OEM style shocks, of the correct length, for the best ride.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
CSP

Spring under with a custom made spring like those available from Alcan or National spring.

x2 on a properly valved shock. Doetsch-Tech or Bilstein are good brands which will have more valving options.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

just go with RE ... it converts to the yj and also buy a shackle reversal....the higher a cj5 the scarier....

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another point is that if the old shackles and spring eye bushings are either worn or siezed, the ride will suck. Greasable bushings would be a good investment. Also go with a YJ conversion, the 2 1/2" springs ride better and are more stable.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
jlrray

so i'm hearing something like put a YJ spring on a CJ5 with a reverse mounted shackle and greasable bushings... Sounds about right?
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray View Post
so i'm hearing something like put a YJ spring on a CJ5 with a reverse mounted shackle and greasable bushings... Sounds about right?
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get the Old Man Emu springs and shocks, my daughters rig had these and it was the best riding leaf spring jeep i have ever driven. They make a kit to convert the YJ springs to CJ but all you need are some rear spring hangers to bolt on the front. If going reversal then set it up for Yj springs.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I heard BDS makes some excellent riding and flexing springs. My 10 yr old Rancho 2.5" lift, Bilstein 5100's, and MORE 5/8" booms with greasable shackle bolts make mine ride like a dream, but, this is for a YJ.

Jerry

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.