Moser AMC 20 upgrade question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Moser AMC 20 upgrade question

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
atxjeep79
1979 CJ7 

Moser AMC 20 upgrade question

I am installing the Moser one piece kit in my 79 CJ7 and so far so good was able to get everything out, but my question is about the bearing clearance.

So I put in inner seals and the press ring and went to test fit the bearing for clearance and Moser recommends that it be within .02-.08 and on the driver side I am within but barely .075 and on the passenger side it is over by about .025 reading .105

Moser recommends that you grind the press ring for clearance so should I get new spacer rings and inner seals from moser(since I have a feeling I will destroy the old ones in the removal process) and take them to a machine shop or can I use shims like the ones installed on the driver side originally to gain the required clearance.

I know there are a million threads on this just wanted an opinion on using shims instead of grinding the spacer ring is it the same difference?

atxjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Make sure the inner seal is at the same depth on both sides.
Make sure the axle bearing is set up against the 'shoulder/stop' on the axle.
LG
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I have heard of people using the original shims instead of grinding the spacers.
Other than being more surfaces to seal, i dont see Why it would be a problem.

Mine squeeked by without needing any grinding, so I cant say from personal experience either way.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
atxjeep79
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys I think that I will order some more spacers and have them ground down just to be on the safe side
atxjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I used stock axle shims to get the perfect "preload" on the model 20 that was in my jeep when I bought it. Ended up swapping the rear end for a dana 44, but the shims did just fine.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.