Moser AMC 20 upgrade question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Moser AMC 20 upgrade question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
atxjeep79
1979 CJ7 

Moser AMC 20 upgrade question

I am installing the Moser one piece kit in my 79 CJ7 and so far so good was able to get everything out, but my question is about the bearing clearance.

So I put in inner seals and the press ring and went to test fit the bearing for clearance and Moser recommends that it be within .02-.08 and on the driver side I am within but barely .075 and on the passenger side it is over by about .025 reading .105

Moser recommends that you grind the press ring for clearance so should I get new spacer rings and inner seals from moser(since I have a feeling I will destroy the old ones in the removal process) and take them to a machine shop or can I use shims like the ones installed on the driver side originally to gain the required clearance.

I know there are a million threads on this just wanted an opinion on using shims instead of grinding the spacer ring is it the same difference?

atxjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Make sure the inner seal is at the same depth on both sides.
Make sure the axle bearing is set up against the 'shoulder/stop' on the axle.
LG
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I have heard of people using the original shims instead of grinding the spacers.
Other than being more surfaces to seal, i dont see Why it would be a problem.

Mine squeeked by without needing any grinding, so I cant say from personal experience either way.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
atxjeep79
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys I think that I will order some more spacers and have them ground down just to be on the safe side
atxjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I used stock axle shims to get the perfect "preload" on the model 20 that was in my jeep when I bought it. Ended up swapping the rear end for a dana 44, but the shims did just fine.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.