MORE V8 mount guys... how far forward did you mount your frame brackets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MORE V8 mount guys... how far forward did you mount your frame brackets?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

MORE V8 mount guys... how far forward did you mount your frame brackets?

I'm just getting ready to drop an AMC 360 in my '83 CJ7 and I did a test run last night to check alignment and it looked like I was going to need a pretty magical shoehorn to make that engine fit in. The back of the block was hitting the firewall and the engine mount was a good 2 inches from the center of the bushing. I had the mounts centered on the 6 holes (i.e. - bolts in the 4 corner holes), but I suppose I could try to move the mount 1 row of holes forward to push the engine forward.

If you are running this setup with your V8 where did you mount yours? How much room SHOULD there be between the block and the firewall?

Aaroneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonediggity View Post
I'm just getting ready to drop an AMC 360 in my '83 CJ7 and I did a test run last night to check alignment and it looked like I was going to need a pretty magical shoehorn to make that engine fit in. The back of the block was hitting the firewall and the engine mount was a good 2 inches from the center of the bushing. I had the mounts centered on the 6 holes (i.e. - bolts in the 4 corner holes), but I suppose I could try to move the mount 1 row of holes forward to push the engine forward.

If you are running this setup with your V8 where did you mount yours? How much room SHOULD there be between the block and the firewall?
Well I am Chevy so I can't really help, but there is a sticky about the AMC swap right above where you post. Might find what you need in there. Luv the V-8's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/official-amc-v8-swap-thread-377983/
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

I would say 3/4 -1 inch space at a glance. Take into account mine came installed by the PO and I have an intermediate CJ so I can't speak for the mounts.
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
there is a sticky about the AMC swap right above where you post. Might find what you need in there.
Thanks! I actually read that a few times while researching the swap. Very helpful, but this was a little more specific I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnabout View Post
I would say 3/4 -1 inch space at a glance. Take into account mine came installed by the PO and I have an intermediate CJ so I can't speak for the mounts.
3/4 - 1 inch farther forward than the stock holes? Not sure I'm following what you are saying. Can you give me a reference point?

I'll be making sure the frame mounts are on the correct side (I'm SURE I did it correctly), and I'll try installing the engine at a different angle and see if that helps at all.

Thanks!
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Actually I was hasty in my post -- I meant 3/4 - 1 inch space between the bell housing and the firewall.
Unread 05-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
fluid_grind
1978 CJ5 

I used the original mounting holes with the M.O.R.E. mounts when swapping in my 360 into my cj5. I have around 3/4" clearance.
picture-028.jpg

78 CJ5, rebuilt 360, with T-18 Transmission, D20 transfer with teralow, Dana 44s with OX lockers front and back, 4.88 gearing, SOA with RE 1.5 lift springs and high steer, 37x13 Boggers on 16" MT Classics : Project Jeep
fluid_grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonediggity View Post

If you have tried to mount it and know how much more you need to make it clear, just move it forward that amount! I have a SBC and have only 1/2 inch between the distributor and firewall, a little close for my comfort. Also, is there any disadvantage to moving it as far forward as possible - better driveshaft angles - Just let the fan clearance be your guide and push it up as far as you can.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
lepurcon
1983 CJ7 

just got done with my 83 cj7 swap with a 360 and used the more mounts and factory holes. Its was tight but went in just fine. If you move the mounts I have heard of guys running into driveline issues, but thats just my two cents.
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepurcon View Post
just got done with my 83 cj7 swap with a 360 and used the more mounts and factory holes. Its was tight but went in just fine. If you move the mounts I have heard of guys running into driveline issues, but thats just my two cents.
Did you mount your frame mounts, then put the brackets on the engine, then drop it in? What order worked best for you? I'm trying a few different things - hard part is trying to get the engine to sit straight side to side on the lift.
Unread 05-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
COBRA5LADDICT

Make sure you dont have the left mount swapped for the right, i did that once and nothing really wanted to line up.
COBRA5LADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
lepurcon
1983 CJ7 

I mounted to the frame and the block seperate and then ligned them up with each other and slid the bolt through the bracket. Now it wasnt as easy as it sounds though it took my wife and I about 4 hours of in and out and in and out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.