A more "Technical" CJ Forum? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A more "Technical" CJ Forum?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
I see where your going with that but i think the problem is not the layout of the site. I think it is more that we need to get new to guys to use the search function more. Its like this on every forum i am a member of (regardless of what it relates to). It would be hard to draw a line at what stuff is technical and what stuff is basic. It varies based of of experience.
I could not agree more.... the new guys never search.

When you give the new ones LINKS with the ans they do not look... then ask the same question in the link info. That even a bigger peev for me. I think the new guys should be forced to use links given to them and find other links similar. Something should be done before they can post like find these four subjects with two good treads and post them up for us to look at. That would get more links for the subjects, teach them to search, and we get to peek again at old threads. Something gota be done.

I think part of the issue is the word is out pretty good answers here... so the young new guys are comming in fast. Not sure what the member count is up to but all the posts are from new joiners. Mr Crawley was active when I joined and have not seen him in a year.

The goal for more technical could be done with more Technical Write ups... Not question then ans based, but I have a good solution to share and write it up with pics. I have done a few on my own but many / most do not do that.

I see some build threads but that is hard to follow up on 50 pages to find the article on CJ Hard Door Repair. I looked at Goocho Build, cool, but missed the door repair/build. Shows the clip location and steps with pics very nice. A poster linked it the other day... I copied to Word and put the link page on my HD. A SEARCH will never find that page.

SEARCH... I think SEARCH only works on titles/subjects. So when a poor subject is used that Solution Page Thread will never be found. I save lots of info & Links on my hard drive and try to use good subjects. I have lots of links / info save that the title does not cover the material.

I have saved info like this.......
Jeep Engine Pistons
Jeep Engine Push Rod Length Changes 258
Jeep DuraSpark vs HEI
Jeep DuraSpark Grounding

If we did this with topics could put 10-20 threads or so that covered that topic well. They have the stickies and thats a start. We could even do that amoung ourselves and when a question is asked we copy the list of 10 web links and post it... Make them look it up.

THE TOPICS OR INDEX might help the new ones to find good subjects to search and also could be used to start the Subject line... Both of these ideas could help with the search feature. We could make that a download for Word or HTML or even notepad. But break down the Jeep Subjects so they have the words to use (search&subject)

anyway thats my ramble

just got thru the other two pages:
I have never been on pirate4x4
Hardly go to any other Jeep Model Sections here. Went there few times to help with Weber Carb and show a link... thats it... are the other groups that much behind the CJ??
This is the only forum I have ever been active in, joined 2 about 2 yrs ago
I guess time for a look at others
Never realize what you had till its gone... CJ Forum Pretty good.

Last edited by Fjguercio; 01-15-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #32
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

search noob!

I like how someone can ask a question here without getting attacked.I go over there to laugh at the things that some people let bother them.They were noobs once too.
Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #33
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I think that everyone in the forum should have the freedom to do whatever they would like. Search if you want to. Ask questions for the 1000'th time if you want to. Answer or don't answer questions as you like. Complain about all the other pestilential forum users who are more stupid than you. Alll these behaviors are fine with me. That is what made America what it was to begin with.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #34
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Why don't we expand the search? And make it easier to narrow down what the newbies are looking for?
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I think that everyone in the forum should have the freedom to do whatever they would like. Search if you want to. Ask questions for the 1000'th time if you want to. Answer or don't answer questions as you like. Complain about all the other pestilential forum users who are more stupid than you. All these behaviors are fine with me. That is what made America what it was to begin with.
+1! Man, I have heard over and over that, "the only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked." So what if a question is asked that has been answered 1,000 times before. If it's getting too redundant, go to another site...

Could there be a site that it's subject is just on what brand and viscocity of oil to use in my CJ??

Seriously though, I am thankful to fellow Jeepers who do answer redundant questions with the seriousness and thoughtfulness as if it was asked for the first time. Even though it may well come up in the search feature on this site. I know it took me a little bit to discover that I can look up topics without asking. It's just a matter of getting used to the workings of this site and others like it. Although I have restored other vehicles in my past, I have learned so much here about the quirks and workings of the Jeep CJ. The Jeep is like no other vehicle I have owned. It's definitely a "Jeep Thing." Thank you to those folks that have worked on Jeeps for years, and are willing to spread their knowledge, and are willingly helping out others... ESPECIALLY when it's for the 1,000th time...

Last edited by skidplate77; 01-16-2010 at 09:26 AM..
skidplate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #36
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfljeep View Post
Would it be possible to create another CJ forum that's a little more geared to "veteran" jeepers or off-roaders? Most of you are familiar with pirate4x4.com and their "Hardcore Jeep" forum. I think it would be great to have a similar forum on here but without the offensive language that's always present on pirate.

I'm noticing more and more "similar" posts that I personally have seen answered dozens of times. I may be speaking for myself here...but I would love to see a section dedicated to more serious Jeep "off-roaders." Topics such as 4-link or coil spring conversions, axle builds and swaps, tranny swaps, and other technical suspension setups and questions are just a simple few that I can think of.

This way, newer CJ owners could continue to post their questions in a setting that's geared specifically for them and those of us that may be past that stage can contribute our experiences. A "hardcore" or advanced forum would allow members to expand their way of thinking, challenge their abilities, as well as inspire others. Plus, prevent boredom!

I, by no means, am an experienced fabricator or Moab driving professional. But I do want to become better at both! I think there are probably many people on this forum that are in the same boat.

Just a thought...
A 'Hard Core Crawling' section might not be a bad idea.
When you are modified that much, the vehicle stops being a 'CJ' or 'YJ' or 'TJ' and more of a 'Crawler',

AND,
The basics of link suspensions, axles, ect. would be the same no matter what vehicle you were using them on, so that just might work...

Things would stop being 'CJ Specific' at that point, so all 'Crawlers' could contribute and benefit from the same section if it were created.

What I try and do is get guys to work with the FACTORY parts, get them running and get them up to speed on how to tune the FACTORY setup to reach it's potential...

A forum section where we could say,
"Scrap the factory axle and get 'X-Y or Z' axle"
And the guy would actually know what you were talking about might be a good thing...

It's the 'Mine is the ONLY WAY' bunch that can be an obstacle to that...
They saw a guy that once had this or that, or they tried this or that once and it worked for THEM...
And now they think that is the ONLY way to do things are the guys I have 'Issues' with!

Last one I was in was on axle centering,
And I showed at least 4 ways to center an axle under the vehicle but the guys on the other end INSISTED there was only ONE 'CORRECT' way to do it...

If we could avoid that, this section would be special!
I like this forum, I like many of the people that frequent here, and I would like to keep it 'Friendly' discussion,
I don't have time or energy to pick through the flying crap to try and glean what ever tid-bits of information that might be hiding in the posts between insults, B.S. and bravado...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #37
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Ok, but, again, take all of the repeats, newb questions, silliness, redundancies, stoopidilty, goofiness, questions about "what is the best "blank", and all the other annoyances out of here, and you're left with four posts per day, grumpy responders, and a dead forum. If you want reliable information with no extras, go to the freaking library. If you want Jeep-Themed fun and discussion, go to jeepforum.com... As is.
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #38
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

This may have already been said as I haven't read all the posts but in response to the OP:
Being a newb jeeper myself I have found the search function on this site to never really turn up useful results when I need them.. I know that the question has most likely been asked and addressed most of the time but never seems to turn up on the search. I have better success when I google what I am looking for and it picks up a hit here.

This maybe because I am not a paying member of the site and I understand that. But I own an FSJ as well as my cj and I use IFSJA.org for tech all the time. The site is free and the search allows you to advance search so you are more likely to find the tech you need....

Just sayin'
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #39
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

strictly speaking on the 'search' function, it is alot easier to search when you know what it is you are searching for. most of the newbs don't know all the terminology we use, or perhaps even what a certain part is called, or commonly referred to. this severly limits their ability to get good search results.

also, not alot of us Jeepers are usually too computer/search- wise, and trying come up with even simple productive searches of 2 letter words or abbreviations can be hard.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #40
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Speaking of search...

I think many issues could be overcome/avoided with a few tweaks to the search feature. I know I use more advanced search queries to pinpoint my exact criteria. I would love a more robust Advanced Search. I find that the following three search methods are immensely powerful and may even reduce the amount of duplicate posting while still maintaining user-friendly, simplicity.

Current State (how it is today):
Search: blue 1979 cj
This currently returns every post with "blue" or "1979" or "cj" in the Title and/or Message fields of the post. Having the ability to search the forum is absolutely necessary due to the amount of posts but this search method is remedial at best. It often results in multiple searches that waste both time and server processing resources.

I would be great to add the following search methods:

Exact Phrases:
Search: "blue 1979 cj"
Would return only posts with this exact phrase in the Title and/or Message fields of the post.

All words:
Search: blue 1979 cj7 304 shorty headers
Would return only posts that included ALL the words in the Title and/or Message fields of the post.

Limiting Words:
Search: "blue CJ7" -1979
Would return only posts with the phrase "blue CJ7" excluding posts where 1979 was mentioned.
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #41
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Amen brotha!
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

since we've gone off topic and are now on to SEARCH- I found this thread today (wish I'd seen it when I first signed on years ago)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/fa...6/#post6875600

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #43
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
since we've gone off topic and are now on to SEARCH- I found this thread today (wish I'd seen it when I first signed on years ago)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/fa...6/#post6875600

Hoss
You mean you didn't know that? So easy a caveman could do it!

Thanks for pointing out that there was a google search function available a click away. I never noticed it either.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #44
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

A tip on the Google search:

If you include the characters 'f8' in your Google search it will limit the results to the CJ Tech Forum.

Examples:

Google - engine backfires

jf1.png

and you get ALL FORUMS

jf2.png

Google - engine backfires f8

jf3.png

and you get CJ Tech Forum results only

jf4.png

At least this will work until they reorganize the forum and CJ Tech is no longer in f8...
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #45
TRex

1979 CJ7 

Good find, PhatBasturd. Much easier. I likes my Google!

Now if we could just make it a stickie so new folks aren't required to search to figure out how to use the search!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.