A more "Technical" CJ Forum? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A more "Technical" CJ Forum?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
dmjonez

1971 CJ5 

I'm a neub, and don't post much (try not to anyway), but I come on here just to read. Once I start trying to improve my old CJ, I'll probably post LOTS of stupid questions. I promise to try searching, but from experience with other forums, it's sometime hard to phrase the search when you don't really know what you're asking...

Anyway, thanks to the experienced guys for having us, and I'm going to go read where ever you're posting...

dmjonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

I hang around a number of "hobby" forums. Photography, Motorcycles, Guitars, Jeeps. They all share one thing in common, people take them a tad too seriously. This forum is actually quite a bit less so than others (try dpreview.com, about high-end photography, for REAL uptightness), but at the end of the day, this is really just entertainment. Sure, you can learn a ton, and get great advice, and make lots of good use of it, but it's still entertainment. People getting bent because someone asks a stupid question or asks a question that has been asked 569 times is universal, par for the course, and still disappointing. Take all the newbies, stoopid questions, repeats, and off-topic posts off of this, or any other forum, and you've got a pretty dead web site. If we all had a forum that matched us with people of the same experience and ability, we'd all have a forum with six other members. How much fun would that really be?

Last edited by -AC-; 01-14-2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar...
-AC- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, and nooune yells at me fer my spellin here.
Some sites I've been.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

I like the way it is here. Pirate is almost too touchy with your posts, you have to know you are right or you are done. But, as far as hardcore fabrication goes, I go there for the simple fact that here is geared more towards a CJ staying a CJ, not progressing into a buggy. I have this: Dirt floor Big Block FSJ on Tons - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board going on there, if anyone cares. My CJ will be under the knife next winter for a 4 link rear and tons, I guess I'll post on both sites.
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #20
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm noticing more and more "similar" posts that I personally have seen answered dozens of times.
Quote:
People getting bent because someone asks a stupid question or asks a question that has been asked 569 times is universal, par for the course, and still disappointing. Take all the newbies, stoopid questions, repeats, and off-topic posts off of this, or any other forum, and you've got a pretty dead web site.
My little take on Re-posts and "similar" posts.

I'm on this site a lot, I have it up in the background all day at work. but as you can see by my 50 posts, that I do not post much. I do use the search feature, and I search, and search, and search some more... how about another search.. Most of the times I find what I'm searching for but I also do come up empty handed. Maybe like dmjonez said, I didn't phrase the search correctly or something. If I post a question that has been answered a dozen time, I apologize, but why not answer the question again or direct someone to a similar post. It takes just as long to do that than it does to tell someone that "this topic has been covers a zillion times". I know that it can be frustrating seeing a similar topic over and over but maybe the originator is new and does not know about the search feature. (happened to me) If it is really bothersome, pass it up. I feel that there is so much information on this site that if no one ever reposted an old topic, like -AC- mentioned, new threads would disappear. What fun is that? Even Tube buggies, 4-links, and Hydro-molecular quadrimatic anatomical steering has been covered at one time. Many times I see a repost about a topic and someone would contribute new information that was not included in the original post.

I feel that if you add a new forum, you are still going to have the same newbie/repost problems

We are all hear to learn, educate, and communicate. There is an amazing amount of knowledge here and I depend on this site to help me "someday" finish my 7 so please don't ban me for liking reposts.

Brian
Sundowners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #21
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Here is the "in your face" ranking I'd like to see for the CJ Forum here...

Pirate

Jeepforum CJ Section

Basket Weaving Forum

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #22
dmjonez

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Here is the "in your face" ranking I'd like to see for the CJ Forum here...

Pirate

Jeepforum CJ Section

Basket Weaving Forum

Funny you put it that way!

For comparison, I got on a "coffee" forum when I was trying to learn how to make a really good cup, and also on a Mercedes Benz forum when I was working on some improvements to an old roadster. That group of coffee-drinkers was the biggest bunch of snobs and a**holes and those SL drivers were the nicest bunch of folks I had come across in a long time! I never would have guessed it would turn out that way. Still drink a lot of coffee, but NEVER visit that forum; sold the MB but still visit that forum just to hear from old friends... Those MB drivers even like my old jeep (as they should).
dmjonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #23
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I have to say that I would like to see the technical level of the posts raised;
However the only way I see to do that is to teach those with less knowledge (answer, re-answer, re-answer etc.) I did a lot of this on first arrival here (late in my 4 wheeling career) but recently I notice myself glossing over the easy topics in search of more meat).

I actually like the tech level of Pirate (hard core) but some of the posters there are there only to flame and dish out BS, not to push back the frontiers of ignorance, or to learn (there are a lot of competent, decent folks there as well and some truly great fabricators).

I say leave this board largely alone and let the newer members educate the noobs, the more experienced can step in if they see obvious misinformation or if a post goes unanswered for a few minutes. (We can all occasionally learn from a well thought out question).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #24
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

I would like to say at this time that I APPRECIATE the guys who answer the same questions over and over, Jeephammer, JOHN Strenk, Mike Romain, and all the others. I see alot of questions ask over and over but us new guys to the cj world no doubt have become more familiar and better at working on our jeeps because of these folks. Heck on some rare occasion I even answer a question if it is about something that I have been through.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
I would like to say at this time that I APPRECIATE the guys who answer the same questions over and over, Jeephammer, JOHN Strenk, Mike Romain, and all the others. I see alot of questions ask over and over but us new guys to the cj world no doubt have become more familiar and better at working on our jeeps because of these folks. Heck on some rare occasion I even answer a question if it is about something that I have been through.
X2

I'm a 1yr old CJer. The questions that I've helped other with is solely due to the fact that I've been there, done that, and gotten help from our JF vet.'s.

Forums will always be a cycle of old and new questions/answers. I think thats why there's more of our rigs on the road and trails today.

Good thread.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
Jeepican
1976 CJ5 

Some people's egos get in their way alot........ You also have to keep in mind that none of us have all day to search a forum when you can just post and get an answer within a few minutes. Its not that most people dont search..... Like me I usually do a quick search and after so long with no luck I just post and its done. I mean the only time I can use the forum is at work..... which really limits my searching ability. And I have a 1yr old and a 3month old at home so good luck finding time there.

"Oh, you're just full of fun today, aren't you? Why don't we go up to the old people's home and wax the steps?"
-Barney Fife-
Jeepican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

I think the value of having this site with new and old jeeps in the same space is that the knowledgable folks are able to respond to a question they know about as they review all the posts. If they tended to hang out in another space, then the free flow of information would be greatly reduced to just the oldtimers willing to still hang out with the new guys...

Keep it as it is.....

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Not worth the split IMHO. Not only would there be the standard thread checking and occasional clean-up in aisle 12, but there would be two forums to do that in and an increase in clean-up as the hardcore guys tell the newbies to get lost because they're in the wrong forum. I've personally tried to tone down my 'use the search' and 'this has been covered a zillion times' responses and either give some cliff notes and a search results link, or just ignore the thread if I'm not in the mood to answer yet *another* SOA post My favorites are the ones that start with "I know this has been covered a bunch of times, but I'm going to ask anyway..."
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #29
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfljeep View Post
Would it be possible to create another CJ forum that's a little more geared to "veteran" jeepers or off-roaders?
What's the best 4" lift that gives the best ride but isn't too expensive?

just kidding
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
BlueOvalBud
1976 CJ8 

I'm a member of several forums, but every night I spend about 3 hours between Jeepforum and Ford-Trucks.
I don't post much here on Jeepforum, but I spend a TON of time using the search feature.
Here's the problem I see on both forums...
First of all, new users don't know the search feature even exists (I didn't for a while).
Second, they are after the quickest way to answer their problem. So they post it only to have it re-answered for the 4th time that day.
Third, the search feature often yields poor results. Why? Because often times the problem is either poorly answered with abbreviations a newbie can't understand. Then we go searching just to find out what the abbreviation stands for, just to know what the heck we're reading. Or the original poster never "follows up" to post the results to the problem and what fixed the issue.
I feel that if there is a hardcore section for veterans Jeepers, the newbies will go there for their answers because the smart guys are all there! So, I say just skim over the threads and answer only the ones that appeal to you.
I really do read the threads on this site for hours on end each night. Some nights I'll spend 3 hours on a single subject just so I can grab facts from several different threads, copy and paste the important posts into Microsoft Word, and sort out the puzzle, just so I come up with a soluton to my problem that makes sense. Any newbies going to do that? I have a TON of respect for the veterans, we have a CJ7 and a CJ8 in the driveway that run great, thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.