A more "Technical" CJ Forum? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A more "Technical" CJ Forum?

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
cfljeep
1983 CJ7 

A more "Technical" CJ Forum?

Would it be possible to create another CJ forum that's a little more geared to "veteran" jeepers or off-roaders? Most of you are familiar with pirate4x4.com and their "Hardcore Jeep" forum. I think it would be great to have a similar forum on here but without the offensive language that's always present on pirate.

I'm noticing more and more "similar" posts that I personally have seen answered dozens of times. I may be speaking for myself here...but I would love to see a section dedicated to more serious Jeep "off-roaders." Topics such as 4-link or coil spring conversions, axle builds and swaps, tranny swaps, and other technical suspension setups and questions are just a simple few that I can think of.

This way, newer CJ owners could continue to post their questions in a setting that's geared specifically for them and those of us that may be past that stage can contribute our experiences. A "hardcore" or advanced forum would allow members to expand their way of thinking, challenge their abilities, as well as inspire others. Plus, prevent boredom!

I, by no means, am an experienced fabricator or Moab driving professional. But I do want to become better at both! I think there are probably many people on this forum that are in the same boat.

Just a thought...

cfljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I see where your going with that but i think the problem is not the layout of the site. I think it is more that we need to get new to guys to use the search function more. Its like this on every forum i am a member of (regardless of what it relates to). It would be hard to draw a line at what stuff is technical and what stuff is basic. It varies based of of experience.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
TRex

1979 CJ7 

cfljeep, I see where you're coming from but I can't help think that people will naturally follow the knowledge. In other words, if you began a thread on 4-links, not only would "veteran" builders contribute but also those who are less knowledgeable (myself included) would be attracted to the discussion as well if it pertained to us. On the flip side, if the thread was above the head of someone or didn't pertain to them, they most likely wouldn't become active in the thread-- much the way it is now.

My $.02 would be to create hardcore topics within the CJ Technical Forum (or any forum for that matter) that might attract a more veteran audience rather than creating another forum entirely. We're all here to learn and for me, there is no better method of learning than to follow those who are more knowledgeable on a particular topic.
Unread 01-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am just reading this and think it isn't that great of an idea. If there is a veteran CJ area for those extensive topics, who is going to answer them and help out the new guys?

And there will always be duplicate threads...it's just the nature of things. Plus some threads that look like duplicates are not, they have different smaller items leading to the big problem.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Spend some time over in the JK tech section then come back here. You'll gain some appreciation.
I like the moderate to advanced tech quality of this forum. I think the size of the membership speaks well to how it's geared (no pun intended) to the masses. Pirate 4X4 is the place to go for the nothing-but-advanced tech.
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasAxe View Post
Spend some time over in the JK tech section then come back here. You'll gain some appreciation.
I just did this...and thank god for the CJ Tech Forum is all I can say....
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Too much work on the Mods to do this, and it's just going to give the more experienced and less tolerant something to ***** about.

No one likes sitting at the kids table.
Unread 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Chuckles0227
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
I just did this...and thank god for the CJ Tech Forum is all I can say....
I just hopped over there for about 20 min. Thank you CJ tech forum, for not having topics full of flame wars about hummers, and people complaining about their mygig not working

Chuckles0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
IDK

Why don't we just get a "CJ General Discussion" like all the others? That way we can separate non-tech and tech, that would be the way to go if you ask me.
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

with respect to everyone- this isn't that hard- just skip the posts you don't find relevant, or repetitious.

for a guy who just bought his first jeep, getting his fuel guage to work, orinstalling shackles might just be 'hard core'.

(when I first came to this site, I didn't know it had a search function!)

newbies are just that, newbies. it takes a bit to learn forum ettiquite. no need to add further seperation within a great group on a great forum.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

We should keep it as just one forum. I used to do pirate4x4 before I came here, I dont like there 2 group thing for hardcore and non-hardcore. I feel as if what I am doing is above newbie status, but the hardcore guys get down on you for not fabricating everything from scratch, this place seems to have the right balance. I learn about the simple things I have not had to worry about and see the advanced things I might want to do years from now. If it was 2 places I would not see both.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

Back in the 80's I used to wheel a 1975 K5 Blazer, three years ago I bought my Bro's 79 CJ7. Hey its got 4 wheels a transfer case,transmis, and engine, how different could it be? Well, thank god for this forum! I looked thru the threds every night for years before joining, with great answers to some of the most mundane stuff I needed to know about my Jeep. I think the experienced Jeepers will tackle any thread, weather its mundane or the most challenging, because they enjoy helping others. It's a Jeep thing.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

We used to have a "hardcore" forum.. it barely got any traffic and was removed.

I'm with Hoss on this... if the "Thread Title" doesn't entice you, skip it.

As a Moderator, I have to skim over every single thread in both the CJ and the Fabrication Forum. I've seen them all... at least 100 times.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
ch3d
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit9 View Post
Back in the 80's I used to wheel a 1975 K5 Blazer, three years ago I bought my Bro's 79 CJ7. Hey its got 4 wheels a transfer case,transmis, and engine, how different could it be? Well, thank god for this forum! I looked thru the threds every night for years before joining, with great answers to some of the most mundane stuff I needed to know about my Jeep. I think the experienced Jeepers will tackle any thread, weather its mundane or the most challenging, because they enjoy helping others. It's a Jeep thing.
good post. I actually joined some time in 2008 and made my first post about 4 days ago. I read a lot w/ out posting. Tons of good info here. keep it coming. Hardcore or not.
ch3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

don't know if this has already been posted but,

the problem with creating two seperate forums one for newbs and one for veterans is that everybody doesn't want the newb forum anymore. trust me, i feel the same way but i've also seen what your talking about actually happen and it ruins forums. you see, if all the people that normally respond to those posts couldn't see them (because they were in a different section) they would go unanswered. yes, i guess they could just google search it, but that wouldn't bring many people into the community now would it?

instead do what it do, either help out or don't say anything at all.
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.