More power out of a 258 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > More power out of a 258

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well with 3.54's you'll just need a new R&P and a master install kit for the front. But if you go with a locker then that will be extra. The rear will need a new carrier, R&P, and a master install kit. To put a locker here you could nix the carrier because the locker will replace that.

There are many articles to explain the differences in lockers, just do a quick search. I would say a mechanical is more reliable, just because if you lose an air line your SOL! There are good arguments for both. Personally I'm putting a Detroit TruTrac in my Dana 30 front. An air locker will need an air pump, typically mounted under the hood. Check out ARB's website.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454

This ^^^ is how you know that it isn't running correctly .

If you currently have the distributor from the feedback BBD era installed on an aftermarket carb or nutter bypassed BBD engine, your ignition timing is way off of optimal and will definitely keep you from making the power that it is able to.

I'm a little surprised at how many people overlook this important fact and buy new carbs, big distributor caps, fancy ignition parts, etc. to try to get more power when the ignition curve itself is often times the main culprit.
I'm not disagreeing that the computerized distributor isn't one of the worse distributor to run but timing isn't the end all of jeep power problems.

I'm running the same stock comp dist and even with the vacuum disconnected I had no problems going up to 85 with 33's 3.54 and a tiny 1 bbl YF.

A few years ago I ran a stock hp curve against hp needed against hp available at different rpm. It had quite a few holes in it when plugging in different ratios. Worse case was the t5. In fact, there were negative hp available. That means the jeep probably will slow down in 5 th gear.

So I don't think that fixing the timing curve is going to fix his problem. With all the possibilities of vacuum leaks, poor spark, wrong mixture. I would look at those first. Along with static timing. I'd worry about the curve last.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
dylan0708
1984 CJ7 

So a new distributed will give me the power back?
dylan0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
dylan0708
1984 CJ7 

So a new destributor cap will Hume me the power gain?
dylan0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Please don't look for quick fixes.
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey John Strenk,

Will you come tune my engine?

I've read several of your posts about how well your Jeep runs, and though I'm not discounting what you say, I'd sure like to see it with my own eyes.

I've taken the best advice on these forums, along with a few twists of my own, trying to get my 258 to run like yours, but she just doesn't stack up.

You must have a magic touch....or a few aces up your sleeve.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.