More power out of a 258 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > More power out of a 258

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well with 3.54's you'll just need a new R&P and a master install kit for the front. But if you go with a locker then that will be extra. The rear will need a new carrier, R&P, and a master install kit. To put a locker here you could nix the carrier because the locker will replace that.

There are many articles to explain the differences in lockers, just do a quick search. I would say a mechanical is more reliable, just because if you lose an air line your SOL! There are good arguments for both. Personally I'm putting a Detroit TruTrac in my Dana 30 front. An air locker will need an air pump, typically mounted under the hood. Check out ARB's website.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454

This ^^^ is how you know that it isn't running correctly .

If you currently have the distributor from the feedback BBD era installed on an aftermarket carb or nutter bypassed BBD engine, your ignition timing is way off of optimal and will definitely keep you from making the power that it is able to.

I'm a little surprised at how many people overlook this important fact and buy new carbs, big distributor caps, fancy ignition parts, etc. to try to get more power when the ignition curve itself is often times the main culprit.
I'm not disagreeing that the computerized distributor isn't one of the worse distributor to run but timing isn't the end all of jeep power problems.

I'm running the same stock comp dist and even with the vacuum disconnected I had no problems going up to 85 with 33's 3.54 and a tiny 1 bbl YF.

A few years ago I ran a stock hp curve against hp needed against hp available at different rpm. It had quite a few holes in it when plugging in different ratios. Worse case was the t5. In fact, there were negative hp available. That means the jeep probably will slow down in 5 th gear.

So I don't think that fixing the timing curve is going to fix his problem. With all the possibilities of vacuum leaks, poor spark, wrong mixture. I would look at those first. Along with static timing. I'd worry about the curve last.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
dylan0708
1984 CJ7 

So a new distributed will give me the power back?
dylan0708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
dylan0708
1984 CJ7 

So a new destributor cap will Hume me the power gain?
dylan0708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Please don't look for quick fixes.
Unread 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #21
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running a 258, MSD ignition and long tube headers with a 2150 carb 3:73 gears and 33's. I have no issue with pick or accelerating on on-ramps. (I live in FL and can't account for any real hills). My dustributor is the stock 258 distributor. I've only done a the big cap swap onto it. I am having a slight running rich issue but I was able to drop from a 51 to 48 on the jets. Also my mpg was garbage but I found out I need to vent my tank and bowl and along with the smaller jets I should be up a bunch.

I turn 2300 Rpms at 80 and 1500 at 55 in OD.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I see an old thread has been resurrected, but it's a good one and probably helpful to folks who have similar problems.
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

I think we should call these old threads that get resurrected ZOMBIE THREADS
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
slomo19er
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos76cj View Post
I'm running a 258, MSD ignition and long tube headers with a 2150 carb 3:73 gears and 33's. I have no issue with pick or accelerating on on-ramps. (I live in FL and can't account for any real hills). My dustributor is the stock 258 distributor. I've only done a the big cap swap onto it. I am having a slight running rich issue but I was able to drop from a 51 to 48 on the jets. Also my mpg was garbage but I found out I need to vent my tank and bowl and along with the smaller jets I should be up a bunch.

I turn 2300 Rpms at 80 and 1500 at 55 in OD.
2300??, man I turn 3900 at 80.

slomo
slomo19er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #25
swatson454
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Oh you're just old and looking for something older.
Unread 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #26
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
x2
Unread 06-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #27
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry.. Was at work binge reading JF posts and didn't realize how old it was. Yup.. 2300.. She kinda like the highway. Also has OD so that helps a bunch.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 06-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Don't you just love it when people show up on these forums ask questions, get answers and then disappear. Makes me think I wasted my breath.
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #29
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

Not sure if this is meaningful, but I will add as a FWIW. I was having lunch a few days before the charlotte NASCAR race with the gentleman who owns the full size pick up that holds the lands speed record at the salt flats. The truck is obviously far from stock running two hundred sixty something MPH. What I found interesting is that his tires are 31" tall and they run a 2.75 rear end. Similar sizes and ratios that we commonly see as wanting of more acceleration or top end. Now, this pick-up is pushing over 2000HP with a twin turbo NASCAR Race engine and it runs at 9000 RPM, but I thought it ironic that the gearing is the same.

FWIW.
steve1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #30
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese View Post
Don't you just love it when people show up on these forums ask questions, get answers and then disappear. Makes me think I wasted my breath.
All the time.. Did it work or not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1973 View Post
Not sure if this is meaningful, but I will add as a FWIW. I was having lunch a few days before the charlotte NASCAR race with the gentleman who owns the full size pick up that holds the lands speed record at the salt flats. The truck is obviously far from stock running two hundred sixty something MPH. What I found interesting is that his tires are 31" tall and they run a 2.75 rear end. Similar sizes and ratios that we commonly see as wanting of more acceleration or top end. Now, this pick-up is pushing over 2000HP with a twin turbo NASCAR Race engine and it runs at 9000 RPM, but I thought it ironic that the gearing is the same.

FWIW.
Yes they run a lower numeric gear and 31" tires but they also have a few miles to get to speed. Most I think get a pull start to get moving. I'm sure they also run a trans with some crazy or gears in it. Figuring at a .5 over drive the tire is spinning 2x as fast as a 1.0 drive gear it will pick up a ton of speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.